343i 49th Weekly Community Poll

BeckoningZebra1

Welcome all to the 49th 343i Weekly Community Poll!

WP2bd2d.png

This the Forty-ninth Weekly Community Poll! Here are your results from last week!

Yes! Here's what SlenderYang (Yang Xiao Long) had to say about the Mantis's inclusion in Halo 5:

I'd say yes but it would need some major tweaking, they portrayed the Mantis to be some sort of overpowered killing machine in Halo 4 but it was literally a deathtrap for you. Every time I've gotten into a Mantis I could get far more kills in a mongoose than a Mantis due to it's size and lack of mobility which makes it extremely hard to dodge plasma overcharges.

The armour was also extremely weak since an overcharge and about 2-4 plasma grenades can destroy the mantis very easily, it's not exactly a killing machine as the gun on it's right arm is mostly inaccurate and they only sort of useful things it has is the 5 rockets on the side however, they do take quite a while for them to reload and they don't exactly have a good blast radius either. You'll need to shoot the rockets pretty close to the target to get the kill unlike a rocket launcher, fuel rod cannon and the incineration cannon (the incineration cannon did have the smaller clusters when it exploded to finish off the kill if the target didn't die)

However even though I've given the Mantis a lot of hate in this post it was still fun to use and it is a very interesting idea with quite a potential if it's done right but unfortunately it didn't really have a lot going for it, the only time I've ever really found myself aiming for the Mantis is when I first bought the game back in November 2012. I just really wanted to test out the Mantis for the first time and it was my goal on Ragnorak to try and get the Mantis first, when I used it though I found it to be very underpowering to many vehicles and I saw it as a support type vehicle instead of the highly capable weapon of mass destruction 343I told us.

Overall I would much like to see the Mantis come back but with a few tweaks, upgrades and maybe a few more extra perks on the Mantis so it would truly become the deathtrap that would turn the tides in any battle.

This week we will delve into another question regarding the multiplayer of Halo 5, but from the perspective of Halo 4. Here's this week's poll question!

Which Halo 4 Weapon Does Not Deserve To Be Included in

Halo 5's Multiplayer?

266545.jpg

Leave your thoughts along with your vote below.

Voting ends 10-27-2014 @ 6:00 AM EST 

Thanks for participating in the Weekly Community Poll 
and See y'all next week!        :wave:

Have a question, complaint, or suggestion pertaining to the poll? Message BZ1.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 2

This is an easy one...

The Boltshot needs to be destroyed from existence. Absolutely obliterated! No trace whatsoever!!!

Having a pocket shotgun was just a tad too OP. I see what 343i tried to do, but giving it that much range was just nuts. Not only is the insta-kill range too far, the range at which it drops your shield, which is even longer, is far too far as well.

Not only that but it gets two shots? A cooldown time of half a second? What is this?!

Next to that the single fire option is completely useless as you cannot even drop someone using all 10 shots single fired so you were kinda forced to go hide in a corner with marshmellows and shotgun everyone that just so happens to come round.

How much more can you provoke camping with this gun?!

There is no thing more frustrating than getting jumped by someone with the Boltshot, and even though he misses he gets the chance to fire a second time or switch to his primary to finish you off.

If you use this gun, and I know there are some of you out there, I immediatly lose all respect for you.

[/rant]

EDIT:

After a long shoutbox dicussion I've come to terms on which it possibly can return to Halo 5 if it's fixed in the following way.

1. buff the single fire mode up to it taking one or two shots more to kill someone (last shot headshot) in comparison to the Pistol.

2. Nerf the Charged shot to it only taking down shields IF all pallets hit.

3. Increase the cooldown time to prevent quick charge and pop kills.

If it were to return with these changes I'd be able to tolerate it.

Edited by Undead P34nut
  • Like 1

As long as players don't start games with the boltshot it can come back. I said it when Halo 4 came out and I'll say it again now: You should NEVER be able to start with a weapon that has the possibility of one hit killing someone. I do not care if it was nerfed, it still had that possibility, and that's enough. I like the bolstshots gimmick, but you just can't start with something with that type of power. You shouldn't be able to start with a plasma pistol either, and for obvious reasons, but now I'm getting off topic.

It's a hard choice for me, because I didn't have a weapon I generally disliked that came out of Halo 4. The sticky detonator was my favorite addition, and acted as a decent replacement for the Grenade launcher. SAW is ok to stay I guess, as long as there is no Dual wielding in Halo 5, which I think has already been confirmed. Storm rifle was ok, I'd just rather see that replaced by the forever cool plasma rifle. If Prometheans return, then the Light rifle is theirs to keep. Same with Scattershot. The Binary rifle is one that I could see being taken out, but I feel as if it has a 60/40 chance of returning. Incineration can come back, as long as it doesn't have to nuke a 10 foot area every time it hits the floor. Railguns alright I guess, that can come back.

The only one I believe would not be coming back could be the Suppressor. If you think about it, it would truly just be a re-skin of the SMG, which is already confirmed to back in Halo 5. In Halo 4, that is what it acted as; The SMG's replacement. So unless they're re-skinning weapons and dropping them into MP just for aesthetic purposes, then it's at least a good reason not to see it return. Although, we have seen before where weapons have made campaign (and Forged maps too) only appearances, like the Sentinel Beam in Halo 3. So, there's a good chance we'll see at least a decent amount of Halo 4 weapons in Halo 5. :)

Edited by The Ghost of rrhuntington

The Boltshot does NOT need to go. The only thing it needs is a damage nerf, and it should be fine.

On the other hand I think the real weapon that needs to go is... nothing. All the guns do their job, and do it well. There's no need to completely leave behind any of them when you could just tweak their settings in Halo 5.

• Like 1

The Boltshot does NOT need to go. The only thing it needs is a damage nerf, and it should be fine.

You can either change the weapon all together and remove the shotgun factor and just make it a fancy looking Forerunner pistol, or put it on the damn ground as a Power weapon pickup, just to name a few simple things you could do to fix the BS. I agree there is no reason for it to go. I see why it gets so much hate, and I used to hate it as well. But it's an easy fix in my eyes.

• Like 1

I don't really have an idea of what to vote, but I'd just like to give my 2 cents on the Boltshot.

It makes perfect sense for it to be 'overpowered'. It's a Promethean weapon, hell yeah it's going to be powerful. Just be grateful it doesn't fire mini Spartan Lasers...

I believe that the Boltshot does not need to be removed from the game, I don't see any weapon that is so bad that it needs to be removed for any reason. I wouldn't say that a weapon 'does not deserve' to be back in the game, I would just expect a lore related reason for it's disappearance.

• Like 1

This one is sort of hard since I do have a few that I would like to get rid of for multiplayer however, these weapons are weapons that you can equip in a loadout. As a sidenote I don't want one of these weapons to go, I would prefer it if they didn't add them as a loadout weapon.

My first one that I would like to see go completely is the Boltshot. This weapon is like carrying around a shotgun in your pocket, it may need time to charge but it is still a shotgun nonetheless. The fact that you can charge an underpowered weapon into an incredibly overpowered shotgun just doesn't suit my needs. I do admit that I used to use this weapon but I changed my mind about using it and replaced it with another weapon.

This weapon should be like the revolver in Halo 3, a shotgun pistol which cannot instantly kill you unless you have no shields or maybe use it as a laser type weapon because lasers are freaking epic and you see a of lasers during Halo which are made by the forerunners, you can even use one as a weapon which was my favourite weapon. It might not pack a punch like other weapons but it was still rather cool how you could use a laser to kill you enemies with it.

My second weapon I would like to see removed from the loadout selection is the plasma pistol. This one would be rather tricky but it's the same basis as the Boltshot. It can turn from an underpowered weapon into a real problem really quickly. The charge can disable vehicles and deplete your shields which can be a huge problem if you're quite close to your target since if they have a precision weapon it can take two shots and you're dead, an overcharge from a plasma pistol and one shot from your precision weapon.

This weapon is pretty much my main reason why I hate the Mantis (which was last weeks poll) because just one overcharge can disable a mantis and you can let it cool off, recharge it and fire it again before the Mantis is able to move again. This was also a problem with Scorpions and Wraiths as they were also too slow to dodge the overcharge. I felt in Halo: Reach that it was sort of slow but still effective against slow moving vehicles or the Falcon but now it's like two or three times the speed as it was in Halo: Reach which is making the plasma pistol a MUST HAVE for most players on the Heavies gametype on Ragnarok or just any BTB with slow moving vehicles.

Overall the Boltshot for me NEEDS to go unless they change it to a freaking awesome laser type thing just like the Sentinel Beam in Halo 3 and the Plasma Pistol would need to go as a loadout selection UNLESS the gametype demands it.

• Like 1

Due to General Consensus, I will give The Boltshot a funeral. Your tongues VS the Boltshot are the real OP Weapon. RIP Boltshot: Halo 4 - Halo 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNRBcbPc9Y

The SAW.

I'm not a big fan of automatic weapons, period, so a power weapon is even more obnoxious. This mafia-style, tommy gun wannabe is annoyingly devastating, incredible fire-rate and butt-kickability to the max, even when I use it. With the addition of jetpack, these monstrosities tear the sanity of anything on ground that cannot counter well enough... Which is most of the time. The encouragement of spraying and praying amplified, and its high occurrence rate doesn't help the matter either...

So I guess, in a sense, the ordnance system is the true culprit.

Let's make a list of Halo 4 exclusive weapons and try to narrow the list down a little bit so that we can make an informed decision.

• Railgun: Deserves to be in Halo 5. The killing power for the railgun was absolutely massive but it took a little bit of skill to properly use. Enemies who were alert to the charging of the projectile had time to move in an attempt to evade the shot, the shot had to be charged which can be hard in battle, an the user had to maintain their aim on an opponent in order to get a kill. These aspects of the Railgun make it a skillful weapon to use. I like it as a solution to the rocket launcher in competitive gametypes. (MLG, Arena)

• DMR: While it is very easy to make a case that the DMR is unnecessary when we already have the Battle Rifle, I find that the DMR fills a particular niche very well. Whereas the BR is more effective at medium ranges and will find a home on Lockdown (Lockout remake), the DMR has more potential at long-to-extreme ranges in the hands of a skilled user. It forces the player to pace their shots but can be effective at longer distances. I imagine the DMR will be most effective as a primary weapon on maps such as Bloodline.

• SAW: Much like the Railgun I believe that the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) is balanced fairly well. When you pick up the SAW it gives you quite a bit of killing power. When used right, assuming you get the jump on all of your enemies, it should carry you to the top of almost every close range firefight you get into. However the player cannot rely on it alone seeing as its capabilities are lacking at larger distances. The SAW should be brought back even if just for Ordinance Drops.

• Sticky Detonator: As with the case that I made with the Railgun and SAW, I like the sticky detonator as a power weapon on hyper competitive gametypes. Securing this weapon should pretty much guaruntee your team 1 extra kill unless the player happens to mess it up... an in the hands of a skilled player it can easily produce 2-3. The Sticky Detonator (and railgun) are a nice alternative to the Rocket Launcher which is almost unfairly overpowered.

• Storm Rifle: The main drawback on the Storm Rifle is that it is not fun to use. I would much rather have the dual-wield-able Plasma Rifles that were featured in past Halos. I'm aware that 343i is trying to include a fully automatic weapon for each of the three main factions, but ultimately the Storm Rifle just feels like dead weight.

• Binary Rifle: The Binary Rifle is one of those guns that can be used to wreck an enemy team if used right. The one-shot-kill anywhere an an enemies body is a little much in my opinion, but the beam of light protuding from the weapon when scoped should give players ample time to find cover. Overall, I like the binary to fill the role of the games most effective sniper weapon. Either way it is much better than the Focus Rifle that we used to have.

• Boltshot: This one here is a bit of a dilemma for me. The Boltshot, in its Halo 4 form, has absolutely no place existing in a competitive multiplayer game. When charged, it can one-hit-kill enemies at way too far of distances and has plenty of ammo at the start to continue this tactic throughout the match. However, if re-imagined, I can see the Boltshot having a place in Halo 4. It would take quite a nerf but I'm not sure that it needs to be cut from the Halo universe all together.

• Light Rifle: The Light Rifle is the least used to the precision weapons. The only thing that I find somewhat interesting about it is the way that it is more powerful (but uses more ammo) when scoped in. This makes it more effective than the other 2 precision weapons when used in scope but isn't quite as powerful when fired from the hip in close quarters. In the long run, this cool dynamic is still not enough to get me to ever equip the Light Rifle.

• Incineration Cannon: The main problem with the Incineration Cannon (which features as the Promethean's heavy weapon) is that it is almost unfairly powerful. In fact, it is so powerful that it is hard for me to imagine not getting at least 2 kills when you pick it up. While this makes me question its inclusion in Halo 5 multiplayer (in its current state) it definitely deserves a place in the games campaign. After all, a Promethean Explosive weapon should be very powerful and fun to use. I imagine 343i will take extreme precaution with its placement and balancing in Halo 5 multiplayer.

• Scattershot: I find that I am somewhat indifferent towards the Scattershot. The Scattershot basically functions exactly the same as a Shotgun except that it differs in 2 key areas. Firstly, it is not nearly as powerful as a Shotgun. Secondly, the Scattershot projectiles can be bounced off of surfaces. Sure the bouncing projectiles are cool and they remind me of the playing UT3 using a Flak Cannon, but I'm not sure that that makes the weapon unique enough to deserve a spot in Halo 5.

• Pulse Grenade: Should definitely be brought back. There needs to be a Promethean solution to grenades so long as we are going to be fighting them in game (imagine the campaign if Prometheans never tossed grenades at you). However I believe that there is a definite need of a Buff if Pulse Grenades are to be included in multiplayer. In all of my Halo 4 career I don't believe that I ever got a single kill with them, because I felt that they were too worthless to use in my loadout.

• Suppressor: The Suppressor suffers from the same issue that the Storm Rifle does. I get no enjoyment using it, and when I do use it I find it to be drastically less powerful than its Assault Riffle and Storm Rifle counterparts. The suppressor feels like dead weight in the game and I very rarely see it used in multiplayer.

A case can be made for many of the weapons but ultimately I do not believe that the Storm Rifle should be brought back in Halo 5. I understand that this is probably not the most popular choice so let me explain my reasoning. The bottom 4 weapons for me were the Suppressor, Light Rifle, Storm Rifle, and Boltshot. Though I primarily use precision weapons and my opinions are likely slightly biased against automatic weapons, the Suppressor and the Storm rifle were the most boring weapons in Halo 4 to me. 

However, the suppressor needs to come back in Halo 5 (with a slight buff) to serve as the Promethean solution to an automatic weapon. The Storm Rifle, on the other hand, should be replaced for the Plasma Rifle. I'm making the assumption that Dual-wielding may be back in Halo 5 due to the balancing work that is being done to it with the release of the Master Chief Collection. If dual-wielding is brought back then I don't see any reason that 343 industries doesn't drop the Storm Rifle for the Plasma Rifles.

Edited by SatanicBagels
  • Like 1