343i 48th Weekly Community Poll

BeckoningZebra1

Welcome all to the 48th 343i Weekly Community Poll!

WP2bd2d.png

So I wasn't able to post last week's poll due to moving, but don't worry, soon that won't be a problem. But as for the previous poll, here are your results!

No! A mini-map is not exactly welcomed by the community, but TheSpoookyCenturion makes an interesting proposition in his post below:

Hmm, good question.

How about instead of changing the radar into a mini-map, incorporate smartglass tech into the game where you can view the map and weapon spawns via your phone/tablet. 

That way you get the best of both worlds without giving an unfair advantage and not changing the game itself.

This week's poll is a question regarding the one vehicle Halo 4 introduced, the Mantis!

Should the Mantis return in Halo 5?

h4-mantis.jpg?e2af74

Leave your thoughts along with your vote below.

Voting ends 10-20-2014 @ 6:00 AM EST 

Thanks for participating in the Weekly Community Poll 
and See y'all next week!       :wave:

Have a question, complaint, or suggestion pertaining to the poll? Message BZ1.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 2

I'd say yes but it would need some major tweaking, they portrayed the Mantis to be some sort of overpowered killing machine in Halo 4 but it was literally a deathtrap for you. Every time I've gotten into a Mantis I could get far more kills in a mongoose than a Mantis due to it's size and lack of mobility which makes it extremely hard to dodge plasma overcharges.

The armour was also extremely weak since an overcharge and about 2-4 plasma grenades can destroy the mantis very easily, it's not exactly a killing machine as the gun on it's right arm is mostly inaccurate and they only sort of useful things it has is the 5 rockets on the side however, they do take quite a while for them to reload and they don't exactly have a good blast radius either. You'll need to shoot the rockets pretty close to the target to get the kill unlike a rocket launcher, fuel rod cannon and the incineration cannon (the incineration cannon did have the smaller clusters when it exploded to finish off the kill if the target didn't die)

However even though I've given the Mantis a lot of hate in this post it was still fun to use and it is a very interesting idea with quite a potential if it's done right but unfortunately it didn't really have a lot going for it, the only time I've ever really found myself aiming for the Mantis is when I first bought the game back in November 2012. I just really wanted to test out the Mantis for the first time and it was my goal on Ragnorak to try and get the Mantis first, when I used it though I found it to be very underpowering to many vehicles and I saw it as a support type vehicle instead of the highly capable weapon of mass destruction 343I told us.

Overall I would much like to see the Mantis come back but with a few tweaks, upgrades and maybe a few more extra perks on the Mantis so it would truly become the deathtrap that would turn the tides in any battle.

• Like 3

Yes because we all loved stomping on the fools who got too close.

I would love to see some variation with the Mantis though. Probably some sort of Gauss Mantis or one that has higher speed but weaker attack. The current Mantis is lovely, but 343i is seriously missing out on some Mecha Potential

I mean they could go full blown Gundam X Mantis. No one would mind. 

No, it was a useless and completely overpowered beast that ripped apart everything except the scorpion.

The stomp attack ruins any infantry trying to board, the machine gun tears through banshees and the rockets easily outpowers other vehicles.

It didn't even suit Halo, Halo isn't about Mecha's, and it shouldn't have been incoperated so heavily like it was.

I myself have gotten many frenzies and riots simply by staying in the mantis, and no one has a chance in hell against me. It's completely ridiculous and shouldn't be featured in any future main title Halo game.

• Like 1

Of course, what else will stomp the competition?

Out of all the vehicles in Halo 4, I think the mantis was the most well balanced... And that is saying something. I loved its mechanics and design, the shield on it as well, which made for some tactical play from the pilot... But I still dislike the 2 Splaser hits required for it to be destroyed with full shields... After all, player shields are nothing against it.

It's weapons are great as well, plus the high recoil makes for a Nerf to what could be devastating iron monstrosity. Sound effects, lovely... Unlike most halo 4 sounds. And the fact that it is the newest and the most unique vehicle added to Halo as of far, gives it a high rating in my book.

The mantis should definitely make a return in Halo 5. It filled a much needed niche for the vehicles and I'm not entirely sure that Ragnarok would have been able to function as a Halo 4 map without it. The mantis really worked to tame the banshees on Ragnarok which is fortunate considering how powerful there are when unopposed in Halo 4. 

One of the main complaints that I've seemed to notice against the Mantis is that people seem to think that it is a tad bit OP. To me this makes no sense because it can only really be taken about half way across the map before it draws way too much enemy fire and gets destroyed. However, in the hands of a skilled user it can be used to rack up all sorts of kills/assists and help your team secure the middle portion of the map. This balance of risk vs. reward isn't too powerful to require something as drastic as a removal from the game.

• Like 1

I think the vehicle should be nerfed but not gotten rid of. Like getting rid of the rockets or something like that, or even just removing two of the rockets out of its chamber would be enough. Or making its machine gun less accurate.

As it stands the Mantis is a little op and needs somewhat of a nerf for H5 but besides that I am up for it returning. :)

I'd say yes but it would need some major tweaking, they portrayed the Mantis to be some sort of overpowered killing machine in Halo 4 but it was literally a deathtrap for you. Every time I've gotten into a Mantis I could get far more kills in a mongoose than a Mantis due to it's size and lack of mobility which makes it extremely hard to dodge plasma overcharges.

Don't know what you're talking about. Just about all my perfections came from that thing!

It won't make you invincible, you've just gotta use it correctly. Although you might think otherwise the Mantis is more suited in the back of the line. Take some pot-shots at your enemy to weaken the shields from behind a rock or wall and move back when overheated/reloading, some well placed rockets will destroy vehicles and infantry alike.

But for god sakes don't let the enemy come too close to you!

Now for what I think it should definetly return. It was a tank like vehicle with just a tad more mobility and controllability.

But when it does return it needs a few minor tweaks in my opinion. Some things that sound like common sense to me and was quite surprised about that it wasn't integrated.

Like manually reloading your rockets and main cannon. It feels a bit wierd that I'm obligated to fire ALL my rockets in order for it to reload, and when your main cannon is about to overheat I'd like to manually vent them when there's nothing nearby. Another thing that was a bit wierd to me was that you could charge the rockets when there was only one left. What's the use in that?

The second thing is that the Manitis feels kinda clucky. The stomp to get rid of nearby infy is almost obsolete due to it only having a small area of effect in front of the Mantis. And when you do manage to stomp someone, you'll be exposed to any other threats because you're forced to stand still foor a little too long. In my opinion the radius of the stomp should be increased and the cool down time should be shortened if not removed completely.

Another thing that went a bit too slow was getting in. A lot of people avoid getting in the Mantis on Exile because you'll be a sitting duck to snipers, rockets and Spartan Lasers while you're getting in. This time should be shortened.

My last point, and this one is about all vehicles, is that it feels weak. Most vehicles, including the Mantis, feel like they're made out od paper maché. In the previous Halo's when you saw a vehicle your first reacion wouldn't be to shoot it with your BR or AR as it would do little to no damage. The wierd thing in Halo 4 is that almost all weapons to tons of damage to vehicles. Not to mention being able to spawn with a weapon that stuns them for 5 seconds...

Don't get me wrong, the Mantis is a powerful vehicle in Halo 4. Just with these changes I feel it could have much more potential!

The mantis should definitely make a return in Halo 5. It filled a much needed niche for the vehicles and I'm not entirely sure that Ragnarok would have been able to function as a Halo 4 map without it. The mantis really worked to tame the banshees on Ragnarok which is fortunate considering how powerful there are when unopposed in Halo 4. 

One of the main complaints that I've seemed to notice against the Mantis is that people seem to think that it is a tad bit OP. To me this makes no sense because it can only really be taken about half way across the map before it draws way too much enemy fire and gets destroyed. However, in the hands of a skilled user it can be used to rack up all sorts of kills/assists and help your team secure the middle portion of the map. This balance of risk vs. reward isn't too powerful to require something as drastic as a removal from the game.

This. Every time I get in a Mantis I end up becoming a walking target.

I want the Mantis back. Everyone already highlighted the main points, so I don't have much to add.

BUT I'd love to see the Locust in Halo 5. Would make for a good counter to the Mantis.

You guys pretty much pointed out all of the main points. My opinion: it's a somewhat well balanced vehicle. What I mean by that is that if you know how to use it, the Mantis could be your key to victory, however, if you do not, it is a walking death trap. Sadly, a lot of people (at least people who I play against) know how to use it well and it becomes a more difficult advisory. It could also use some tweaks.

No, it was a useless and completely overpowered beast

...huh?

Yes, it should return. Why? It's a freaking mech.

Was it implemented rather poorly? Indeed. It was underpowered because you could never hit anything with the bloody guns. But the fix is simple. Make the chaingun more accurate than the Stormtrooper cannon it has now, but make it do less damage. As for the missiles, their strength was that they could lock on. Their weakness was everything else. I'd say make the missiles faster, but decrease the explosion radius, to make them more precision-based, like the Gauss Hog, but not as powerful.

In other words, buff the accuracy, nerf the damage.

This vehicle needs to make an immediate return, but needs long thought put into its design.

No, it was a useless and completely overpowered beast that ripped apart everything except the scorpion.
The stomp attack ruins any infantry trying to board, the machine gun tears through banshees and the rockets easily outpowers other vehicles.
It didn't even suit Halo, Halo isn't about Mecha's, and it shouldn't have been incoperated so heavily like it was.
I myself have gotten many frenzies and riots simply by staying in the mantis, and no one has a chance in hell against me. It's completely ridiculous and shouldn't be featured in any future main title Halo game.

This is rather misguided as firstly the giant stomping mech became everyone's primary target as soon as it was spotted to the point that it was the most hated vehicle on the map even rivaling the banshee which everyone despises immensely. The hatred aimed at this vehicle caused it to be the most targeted and therefore the quickest vehicle to be destroyed. This vehicle has weaknesses to but not limited to: the Spartan laser, plasma grenades, the sniper rifle, halo jumping noobs, falling out of the sky noobs, the banshee, the warthog, the gausshog, the scorpion, and most importantly THE PLASMA PISTOL (a weapon which many noobs SPAWN WITH). So no, this vehicle is not overpowered, unless it is placed on the wrong map or game mode where people cannot use any sort of special equipment against it or it is being used in a team setting where callouts are being made to ensure that it doesn't die. The solution to these is that the developers should ensure that the mantis only shows up where it can be countered, and that MLG pricks who take the game too seriously be beat down with a shovel. :<

Nextly, mechs were the most sensible edition to the halo series yet. I'm sure some of you have forgotten but the mjlnr project began with large exoskeleton suits which were powered by large stationary batteries. The next logical progression would be for those exoskeletons which had been developed to be attached with a smaller power source and made to empower normal infantry with Spartan-like abilities in combat.

The armour was also extremely weak since an overcharge and about 2-4 plasma grenades can destroy the mantis very easily, it's not exactly a killing machine as the gun on it's right arm is mostly inaccurate and they only sort of useful things it has is the 5 rockets on the side however, they do take quite a while for them to reload and they don't exactly have a good blast radius either. You'll need to shoot the rockets pretty close to the target to get the kill unlike a rocket launcher, fuel rod cannon and the incineration cannon (the incineration cannon did have the smaller clusters when it exploded to finish off the kill if the target didn't die)

However even though I've given the Mantis a lot of hate in this post it was still fun to use and it is a very interesting idea with quite a potential if it's done right but unfortunately it didn't really have a lot going for it, the only time I've ever really found myself aiming for the Mantis is when I first bought the game back in November 2012. I just really wanted to test out the Mantis for the first time and it was my goal on Ragnorak to try and get the Mantis first, when I used it though I found it to be very underpowering to many vehicles and I saw it as a support type vehicle instead of the highly capable weapon of mass destruction 343I told us.

Overall I would much like to see the Mantis come back but with a few tweaks, upgrades and maybe a few more extra perks on the Mantis so it would truly become the deathtrap that would turn the tides in any battle.

This.

I think the vehicle should be nerfed but not gotten rid of. Like getting rid of the rockets or something like that, or even just removing two of the rockets out of its chamber would be enough. Or making its machine gun less accurate.

As it stands the Mantis is a little op and needs somewhat of a nerf for H5 but besides that I am up for it returning. :)

You...

are absolutely mad. Nerfing the mantis further means that people who are not MLG, mass-group operating nutjobs will end up firing essentially blanks at a target which is sprinting at them spraying a plasma pistol which is disabling them for long sessions sometimes spanning up to a minute or longer. WHY on bloody earth would we want the short time spans between being shot with the plasma pistol to be filled with bullets flying in a manner reminiscent to the storm troopers from Star Wars~???

• Like 1

^

Well one way or another we need a nerf or something.

Now that I think about it the Gungoose could possibly take the place of the Mantis or something. :)

Compared to the Wraith and Scorpion the Mantis almost always turns out better. So we need to nerf it so they can stand up to it and if they cant then we remove it.