How to become a better Halo player - P34nut edition!

Unease Peanut

Hello guys and gals!

I know this content has been away for a long time and usually comes from Mr. Biggles. But since Biggles has some more important matters to tend to I’ll be the one who’ll help you today towards becoming a better Halo player.

In case you haven’t seen the previous parts be sure to check out the links down here:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/4910-directory-for-biggles-style-tips-for-halo-reach-halo-4-game-improvement/

So… Let’s get to it gentlemen

First off we’ll be addressing the ins and outs of one of my favourite maps called Haven.

I’m sure some of you know why this is my favourite *cough* 1v1 *cough* #getrekt *cough*

haven.jpg

Haven is a symmetrical map that’s meant for 4v4, 2v2 or 1v1 battles. The map is primarily CQC but it offers some long sight lines as well which make it suitable for precision weapons too.

The many gaps and corners can be used to get out of dodge quickly and can be used to flank your unsuspecting opponent from behind or from the side.

The weapon spawns are here:

VwPduwS.jpg

You can see all power weapons are centered equally so be there before your oppents will get their hands on it!

The most common games you will play on here are 4v4 Infinity Slayer, so we’ll take this as the general direction. All these tips can be applied to other types of matches too!

Red team and Blue team start off on either side and at the start of the match. I suggest either 2 or 3 people run towards the middle and try to get their hands on the Energy sword and Sniper Rifle. A good tip for Jet Pack users it to quickly fly up and do some damage to the opponents from the get-go. Don’t get cocky as you will get yourself killed. Non Jet Pack users can try and throw some Hail Mary grenades over the center cover piece. Try to reserve one though to throw around the side of the cover piece as there will most certainly be someone coming around that corner. There’s also a little plateau you can jump on to get some higher ground.

Now the people not going towards the middle can get to flanking by running through the hallways. Expect enemy soldiers to do the same and train your sights on the opposing hallway to get the first shot off. I suggest always taking the upper hallway rather than the lower one. Keep in mind that there is little to no cover on either level.

After you’ve disposed of any resistance you can help out your teammates fighting in the middle.

Now as far as the rest of the game goes try to keep control of the middle (which is preferable on mostly all map) and keep an eye on the power weapon spawns.

You can use the centre cover piece to get some higher ground but be aware that you are exposing yourself to all sides! When you take fire it’s best to inform your teammates where you got shot from as they can help you out big time.

In Haven the spawn points are predictable as the enemies will likely always spawn on the opposing side of which your teammates are on. They tend to spawn in the lower hallways in front of the man cannons too and if they’re stupid enough they might even use it. I can’t warn you enough people, DON’T ever use the man cannons unless absolutely necessary. This is because when you use the man cannons they make a very loud noise which can be heard from almost anywhere on the map. This gives away your position on the map and you’ll most likely be met with incoming fire as you fly up.

That’s about it for Haven. If you have any more tips and tricks be sure to leave ‘em down below!

Now onto the next part!

We all know about specializations, but which one is the best?

Specializations are unlocked when you reach Rank 50. Each specialization consists out of 10 rank and each rank unlocks something new for you.

These unlocks are:

1.   Emblem foreground

2.   Torso armor

3.   Shoulder armor

4.   Helmet

5.   Weapon skin and emblem background

6.   Visor colour

7.   Torso skin

8.   Shoulder skin

9.   Helmet skin

10. Support upgrade/Tactical package

Now there are 8 specialization to choose from

Which are:

-Wetwork

-Operator

-Pathfiner

-Pioneer

-Engineer

-Stalker

-Rogue

-Tracker

Each specialization comes with different armour sets and skins, but what’s really important it the 10thunlock which is the ‘perk’.

Each specialization comes with a different perk, we’ll walk through them one by one.

Wetwork.

Wetwork is for the assassins among you. The 10th unlock gives you the Stealth support upgrade. This upgrade makes your footsteps silent as the night so people won’t hear you coming.

It makes you harder to see with promethean vision as people cannot see you through walls anymore and it will make your silhouette blue like the rest of the background. Do not be surprised when people open fire at you when they get a direct line of sight at you as you will be less visible, but still visible!

Last but not least it will speed up your assassination animations so you won’t be a sitting duck when performing one or you can quickly finish your enemy off before your scumbag teammate decides to yoink your kill.

I find this upgrade very useful when running around with Active Camo. It makes it very easy to flank around or surprise the enemy when they don’t expect it giving you the advantage. Don’t rely too much on your upgrade or camo though! Players can still see you!

Operator

Operator is for the vehicle lovers. The 10th unlock gives you the Wheelman Tactical package. This package gives your vehicle a tad more health so you have the upper hand on opponents without it.

It also decreases the amount of time your vehicle is affected by EMP. It’s crazy fun to see someone running at you in joy because they just brought down your Banshee but aren’t fast enough to get there in time  :hrhr:

This package is really useful in BTB because it makes your vehicle that much more effective. The only downside is that is has no use in maps without vehicles. Try to implement it into a loadout that you’re only going to use in gametypes like BTB.

Pathfinder

Pathfinder, and especially the Gunner Support Upgrade that goes along with it, is very useful in combination with someone who has the Wheelman Tactical Package enabled.

The Gunner Upgrade let’s you fire your vehicle weapon longer before they overheat. Spraying-and-Praying is allowed!

Combining this with someone who has the Wheelman Package turns your Warthog into a man slaughtering beast as it now has more health and more bullets per minute!

The other upside to this Upgrade is that it allows you to run around with a detached turret at normal speed turning you into a fast and mobile ‘Gunner’.

As I said earlier I highly recommend running this Upgrade with a friend that has the Wheelman Tactical package as you will be a pain in the butt or the other team. The running faster with the Turret part is more a gimmick than actually useful. Sure it makes you look like a complete badass but you will easily be outgunned by someone who has a BR or AR depending on the range. The only way I managed to successfully use it is by surprising the enemy from behind.

Pioneer

Pioneer is for you guys out there who don’t want to spend a lot of time reaching max level.

The 10th unlock for this specialization is the Fast-Track Tactical Package.

The one and only thing this Package does is increase the amount of EXP earned by 20% during the time it is worn/activated. Nothing more… Nothing less…

Not only does this package decrease the amount of fun in leveling, it also takes up your Tactical Package slot which can easily be used by something that’s actually useful for you and your team. Sure it offers a chance to level up for players who don’t have loads of time on their hands but is spending a little more time on leveling up really such a problem?

Needless to say, this was my last specialization to engage in.

[/rant]

Engineer

Engineer might give you the idea that it has something to do with vehicles, but no.

The Engineer’s 10th unlock is the Drop Recon Support Upgrade which allows you to see weapons drops 12 seconds before they actually drop. This allows you to get to the power weapons faster because you’re the only one who knows it’s 12 seconds away from dropping, unless an enemy wears it too of course.

The only other way this seems of any use to me is if you’re competing against ‘MLG pr0z’ who know the weapon drop timers from the top of their head. I guess the saying “knowing is half the battle” really suits this one.

Stalker

Stalker is, contrary to popular believe, not your ex… At least not in this situation that is.

Are you someone who really REALLY REALLY hates the guy who just killed for the 12th time? Then this specialization might just be your thing.

The 10th unlock for this one is the Nemesis Support Upgrade.

This Upgrade marks the enemy who killed you for 4.5 seconds on your HUD so you know his location and can either avoid him or get revenge on him. People generally use it for the second thing.

Although knowing your enemies position is real good intel, it only lasts 4.5 seconds. 4.5 seconds is in my opinion not enough to really make use of it, especially on large maps. Other than helping you annoy your nemesis by taking pot-shots at him, this Upgrade doesn’t really help you out that much.

Rogue

Rogue is for the really precise players.

The 10th unlock earns you the Stability Support Upgrade. This Upgrade allows you to be much more accurate by decreasing the flinch created by incoming fire and allowing you to keep your reticule in place. Please note that flinching only occurs when using scopes.

Although this might seem like a minor thing, it can really help you out. Usually when you’re trying to kill someone at a distance incoming fire can really take you off target. Which ultimately results in you either missing your shots or you needing more time to get your targets in your sights again. This Upgrade gets rid of both of these problems making you really effective and efficient with precision weapons like DMR’s or Sniper Rifles. Although I do suggest taking cover after you’ve finished off your target to allow your shields to recharge.

Last but not least

Tracker

Tracker is for guys who love ordnance and really hate getting useless weapons for their hard work.

The 10th unlock for this specialization is the Requisition Tactical Package.

This Tactical Package allows you to take a second chance at your ordnance. Don’t like your choice of Pulse Grenades, Plasma Grenades and a Needler? Just hit your D-Pad and you get a second set of random ordnance weapons to pick from.

Not only does it increase your chance at getting better weapons, it can also really help you out with your commendations for specific weapons. Do keep in mind that this Package will be completely useless in games without personal ordnance.

Now that we’ve got a complete list of the specializations and their uses we can pick the best one… Right?

Well to be honest, not really. It really all comes down to your playstyle and the type of game you’re in. I’ve given you my opinion on all the tactics and uses and how to make the most out of it. Take it as you will.

You can of course disagree with me, and do please tell us in the comments. Also feel free to add anything!

Now onto the last part

(we’re still not done!? NO SIR!!!)

We’ll be addressing your, mine, everyones manners in game.

We’ll start off with non-verbal stuff.

Huh… Non-verbal manners? Yes! You can also annoy the living hell out of the lobby by playing like a jerk!

The way to avoid being ‘that guy’ can be easily helped by following rules and play the game it’s meant to be played. Nobody likes someone who uses glitches in their advantage and being in a player hosted game will usually result in a BAN!

But there are some things that rely more on honour. Things that go outside of rule books, following the unwritten rules is what gets people to like you rather than hate you.

For example, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 have assassination which are achieved by going through the tedious process of getting the enemy from behind. A lot of work goes into these and being the guy that sees the assassination happening and thinking “OH FREE KILL!!!” followed by capping the sitting duck in is head is not only a **** move but is also really unneseccary as the enemy is already dead for sure. It are things like these that get people to get mad at you and not wanting to have anything to do with you… Ever! Resulting in YOU not having teammates to back you up if you require help.

When someone worked hard for something it’s not very polite to ruin it for that person, sure there is nothing really stopping you from doing it, but you can just be nice and let the guy have his moment. The guy will have fun and you might even get a sense of accomplishment from doing something good! (for once)

You can even make a game enjoyable for the enemy team. Now I hear you thinking “Why should I ever help the enemy?” well, they’re people looking to have a fun time too. And after all, what have they ever done wrong to you? So next time you’re spawn raping the enemies just think to yourself, how would you feel in that situation? Do not do to others that which angers you when they do it to you!

It’s this kind of stuff that will make a game more enjoyable for you, your teammates and your foe.

Now there is this thing called a ‘headset’ which allows you to talk to other online. And though this is a very helpful device, I often see it used for the completely opposite reason.

Now I know a lot of you will either go Lone Wolf or stick with a select group of friends in a party whilst playing. But I’ve recently tried to be a bit more of a team player with random players and maybe it’s because I’m lucky or the gaming community really swung around but I was actually able to play tactical and be friendly with some teammates I just happened to be paired up with.

You see Xbox Live is generally considered to be filled with 12 year olds who did all kinds of stuff with your mother, but believe it or not there are people out there who seek just the same type of fun gameplay like you.

Although  to find them you might need a bit of work on your own manners. Screaming through your headset won’t get you anywhere. Just like playing music through your headset or swearing at everything you come across.

The way to play a nice and friendly with random people is just being, believe it or not, nice to them. You wouldn’t be such a tough guy when the dude you’re talking to is sitting right in front of you, so don’t try to act like the tough guy. Just try to get a nice conversation going.

A conversation can easily be started by just aiding your teammates with call-outs or talking about the game in general.

Not that talkative? There’s nothing stopping you from keeping it to tactical comms.

Sadly there are still a lot of people out there who misbehave and this can sure be frustrating. But let me assure you, going in a discussion with them will result into nothing more than anger and throwing devices around that you might need to play the actual game. Next time you run into one of these ‘kids’ please just try to ignore that person. Blocking/muting him will get  you a long way and if all that fails… Just leave. It’s still a game after all!

*mumbling in the background*

Wrap it up? Taking too long…? Well okay…

This has been about it, for now. It’s been fun helping Biggles out with this and writing all this suddenly makes me understand why he was in need of it.

I’d like to help him out in the future (if he allows me to  :sweat: ) so this might not be the last you’ll hear from me!

Has this guide amused or helped you in any way? Be sure to let us know down below!

Feel free to leave some of your own tips and tricks or general comments too!

Thank you all for reading!  :D

• Like 8

*flips knife around* Assassinating ain't that hard, buddy.

There are also way more perks than you described, I would recommend giving your two cents on those as well.

This was specializations only, others might come another time.

• 2 weeks later...