Halo 4 armor rant and H5 Armor Ideas and opinions

Dennis Dee Cruz

As a true halo fan aside from already destroying kids with its perfectly balanced multiplayer the way it WAS,The armor was some thing truly special to me,it made you feel like a bad -snip- and made you want to flock it to anyone you killed, In H4 the armor style was just wack,everyone looked the same since it was so fast,and i felt no urge to really want to play the game to unlock more of its armor unlike the previous Halos,Halo 3 and reach had fantastic armor,and after Bungie left they took that great armor styled talent and put it in Destiny now,The titan class?? Man i could only imagine how they wouldve made the spartans look in halo 4 with that talent,but im not here gonna praise Bungie now,cause 343 can do it too,If they just spend a good amount of time putting the effort into every single piece of armor instead of just using an easy template for all the spartans,I mean if you need help just look at the Destinys Titan class xD (sorry again) but no really, I love what 343 is doing by going back to Halos roots and everything but the Armor was Definitely apart of that, Each spartan looked truly different from buff spartans with that huge knife as a shoulder piece in Halo Reach to slim spartans like in Halo 3,and then people would just make crazy combinations and it was great to even then see their spartans in Halo reach on the side with the vertical list view (As in all halo games) unlike H4 with its horizontal card style which made me feel like i was playing a game that was not Halo sadly,So yes Im hoping 343 would really hear me out on this cause im sure every halo player is hoping of a much better armor customization style for Halo 5,cause after they nail the multiplayer and make H5 go back to how Halo was, Im going to get bored if theres not that super impossible god like piece of armor that ill have to put in mad hours to get,like how halo reach did it ,if anything you can implement credits again and just use them to buy pieces of armor,make them at ridiculous prices and thatll get players to put a lot of hours in the game and especially if you can unlock armor from playing the campaign,and unlocking achievements,thats how you get them hooked,but once again MAKE THE ARMOR LOOK BEAST like a true war fighter spartan,just think Tactical,Military,and Warrior with sharp edges,and even in halo reach you could see some of the dirt and damage on some armor too. but if you listen I bet youll be in the right path to make some fine Armor for H5,Not super power rangers from space with retarted bright colors that made the red in matchmaking look salmon and the blue was like sky blue?? DO NOT REPEAT H4 with that armor style ever,again.but thank you for reading i know it was a lot to -snip- read but i felt i had to get this point across ASAP,cause this will be the decision for me if i actually want to keep playing H5 after you guys make the game "Go back to its roots"

Side note: Whats up with all the Blue in Halo 4's UI? Make it a nice Dark mysterious atmosphere, sadly look how Bungie did it with Destiny? Lol sorry again

Edited by BeckoningZebra1
Removed cursing.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

BTW: This is not the official 343i, if you're looking for that, go to Halo Waypoint

Put the credits in for crying out loud! Why, when we reach a certain rank, the armor is just available to us? Gaining enough credits/XP to BUY the armor is the whole fun of it! I personally liked the style of armor, but it was a big difference from other Halos; Baby steps, 343i. Scout, for example. You can't just take a Halo armor and customize it however you want. It has to resemble the rest, until you reach the point where that change isn't that big a deal.

For me, buying armor was a big part of Halo, and it needs to come back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I liked how the armor customization aspect of Reach's multiplayer was more lengthy to progress through and offered variants of certain pieces (helmet attachments), but let's not try and give canon reasons for this.

Honestly, do you think that before a space mission an officer will say "Alright Spartans! Lock 'n load! Be ready in... Wait a minute. Where's your EVA gear, son?", with a Spartan replying that he can't afford/unlock the EVA variant yet (although humorous, I couldn't shake the unbelievable nature of this). Do you think it makes sense to force conscripted orphaned soldiers to PAY for the equipment they need? Do you think Spartans are paid Cr for a life after the war?

To clarify, I'm not against the system of unlocking/purchasing armor. I just don't want to see it given any context in story or logic, because it doesn't need it and it won't add anything positive.

As for perks linked to armor (EOD having 50% explosive resistance), I am wholeheartedly against that concept in its entirety. Halo is, or at least was, based around Equal Starts (everyone spawning with the same equipment/stats) and the Golden Triangle (guns, grenades, and melee). Having perks implemented like this, as a passive and non-changeable modifier during a life/match, derails both of these principles. What's more is that linking perks to armor will make players choose armor based on their effects, rather than their aesthetics.

• Like 1

If you want H5G to go back to the roots of halo then shouldn't we all also wear MkV with no options to change it?

Purely aesthetic armor options don't go against the fundamentals of classic Halo gameplay. Halo 3 was the game to introduce armor permutations and it still adhered to the principles. Halo: Reach and 4 deviated from them, but it had nothing to do with the armor (unless you want to include Reach's Elites).

Why must you jump to the most negative conclusion that "going back to Halo's roots" has to offer in the context of customization? The game has already been shown to offer various armor permutations anyways, so you have nothing to worry/gripe about with concerns that we'll all be wearing the same armor.

Again, the return to Halo's roots in in terms of gameplay, rather than customization.

Purely aesthetic armor options don't go against the fundamentals of classic Halo gameplay. Halo 3 was the game to introduce armor permutations and it still adhered to the principles. Halo: Reach and 4 deviated from them, but it had nothing to do with the armor (unless you want to include Reach's Elites).

Why must you jump to the most negative conclusion that "going back to Halo's roots" has to offer in the context of customization? The game has already been shown to offer various armor permutations anyways, so you have nothing to worry/gripe about with concerns that we'll all be wearing the same armor.

Again, the return to Halo's roots in in terms of gameplay, rather than customization.

What are you talking about? I'm replying to the Thread Maker.

I love what 343 is doing by going back to Halos roots and everything but the Armor was Definitely apart of that,

But Reach and 3 aren't the roots of halo like he says they are, CE and 2 are the roots of halo. So I said 

If you want H5G to go back to the roots of halo then shouldn't we all also wear MkV with no options to change it? 

Like I said, the return to these roots is in terms of gameplay/combat, not in terms of customization/aesthetics.

You still didn't read what the damned thread maker said.

I love what 343 is doing by going back to Halos roots and everything but the Armor was Definitely apart of that,

Definitely apart of the roots of halo.

I did read the "thread starter", but I wasn't sure what the OP meant by that, whether "a part of" or "apart from". Regardless, I was clarifying that the direction of H5:G isn't having a negative impact on armor customization (absence of other armor sets, like what you initially seemed to suggest).

I didn't suggest halo 5 will be like that. I said if HE wanted halo to go back to this so called root of halo then it should be CE and 2 armor

and not reach and 3 the games halo 4 was based apon in the first place which took it into this new direction.

Alright. So your initial post was simply pointing out that the "roots" of Halo customization was everyone wearing the same armor with different colors?

I do believe that when he said "definitely apart of that", he actually meant "apart from". Regardless of nitpicking his choice of words, what do you think of the ideas presented in this thread?

I have to agree with Agent on this.  Armor customization should always remain a "flair" item.  In no way shape or form should different customized pieces of armor be allowed to fundamentally change a Spartan's attributes or grant them certain attributes.  As it is, armor customization is tricky, as the developers need each piece to maintain a certain level or "general" collision and physics.

What I mean by that is, each different piece of armor has to be by default, almost exactly the same shape and size as the base collision and physics model for the biped, otherwise you end up shooting at someone and certain sections of the armor will not respond to impacts.  The infamous Elite neck issue to comes to mind on that.  Hasn't anyone ever noticed that in Reach and 4, all the armor sets if overlapped, almost always retain the same shape and size as the base model?  Or am I the only one who bothered to extract the render models and compare them all to an extracted collision and physics model?

• Like 1

Alright. So your initial post was simply pointing out that the "roots" of Halo customization was everyone wearing the same armor with different colors?

Yes, After reading the entire post [ Which is very hard due to the fact it's a giant wall of text and confusion. ]

I do believe that when he said "definitely apart of that", he actually meant "apart from". Regardless of nitpicking his choice of words, what do you think of the ideas presented in this thread? 

If you read what he says after that it would seem he meant "Definitely apart of that"

the Armor was Definitely apart of that, Each spartan looked truly different from buff spartans with that huge knife as a shoulder piece in Halo Reach to slim spartans like in Halo 3,and then people would just make crazy combinations and it was great to even then see their spartans

And if you read everything else he is complaining about the halo 4 armor being not to his tastes and all the same. So again, My first post was just me telling him that Reach and 3 armor is hardly these so called roots of halo.

what do you think of the ideas presented in this thread? 

I agree with returning the credit system to halo 5, But It should just be for looks. And the reason it's all clean and blue is because the UNSC are using more Forerunnery tech now. Instead of the reach rough military look.

• 4 weeks later...