Arbiter's role

depressant

^

No, its not really that.... :)

Bungie just isn't very good at characters, me posting I didn't like Arbiter, was the wrong word to use. So I will correct that.

I don't like Bungie. I mean, look at Arbiter, what the hell did he do in Halo 3? Nothing he followed Chief around for no reason, sure he and Chief had that whole nod moment when Arbiter killed Truth but that was it.

Arbiter along with everyone else in the original Halo trilogy is a shallow and hollow character who is very one dimensional. He had no depth.

You could argue. "Oh but Halo 2 Arbiter had tons of character dev"

Wrong again, if that passes for character dev..... that is just.... im at a loss for words if that passes for character dev.

Here is Arbiters character dev in Halo 2.

Arbiter walks down a hill, he see several dead Elite councillors, who are all killed. He walks up to one who tells him the Brutes killed them.

That's it, that is all Arbiters character dev in Halo 2 that is his most significant moment in Halo 2 and Halo 3 combined.

See what I mean now?

Now that were reaching Halo 2 territory I think it's time for me to talk again.

I don't think that was the extent of his development in Halo 2 Caboose. The whole game developed around him. The Covenant Schism was a big event. And I don't think he just wanted to kill Brutes at that moment. It was uneasy between the 2 races for a loooong time. The straw that broke the camels back was when the Prophets chose the Brutes over the Elites, and then big ol tartar sauce pushed him down a long whole.

^

Truth began his plans to get rid of the Brutes at the first battle of Harvest ( first contact with the Covies ) :)

Why? for many reasons, I will now share one of them.

All Covenant races excluding Brutes were starting to lose faith in the great journey by first contact, and as the war with the Humans continued, the Covanant lost even more faith.

But the Brutes though you would not know it by looking at them ( see how they handle 343 guilty spark ) They believed in the great journey, more than the Elites did by far.

The Brutes had  faith in the great journey unlike the Elites who like most Covenant races, their belief in the great journey was starting to strain.

Even before the schism, Brutes hated Elites, Elites hated Brutes, Ships under command of Elites almost never had Brutes in the ship as most of the time it caused an argument about who was in command. Same for the Brute ships. And same for Brute and Elite fleets.

But the Elites and the Brutes would never kill one another, they hated each other but they would not kill one another. Elites still believed in the Prophets and the great journey, just less than the Brutes.

So that scene when Arbiter is told the Brutes killed the Elites is his only actual character development scene in Halo 2/Halo 3. But it really isn't even character dev, he does a complete 180 in about five seconds.

So yes, that was the extent of his "development" in the Halo trilogy.

^

No not really, at least not im my eyes. :)

That scene was....

"You have two choices, you get killed right now or become the Arbiter"

Arbiter still believing in the great journey somewhat choose the choice any believer would. Redemption.

An Elites life is based around honour and Arbiter lost his when he failed to prevent Chief form blowing up Installation 04A.

Becoming the Arbiter was the only way to get it back.