Playstation Network hacked UPDATE

Playstation Network hacked [uPDATE]

playstation-network-fixed.jpg

The Playstation Network is down in North America and a hacker group claimed responsibility via Twitter.

Server maintenance was scheduled for Monday, but when Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 users tried to sign in online today they would get a mesaage saying that the server are temporarily offline due to maintenance.

Shortly after the Network went down a hacker group who call themselves the Lizard Squad claimed that they brought it down.

The group has also claimed responsibility for the server issues occuring at Blizzard, League of Legends and Grinding Gears Games' Path of Exile.

Although this squad claims they did it, none of the affected companies have confirmed that it is their doing.

Sony has reached out to their users and said that they're working hard towards a solution, but that they have no time frame for when the network will be fixed.

Have you been experiencing problems?

Let us know down below!

Thank you for reading!

UPDATE:

Sony has clarified that during this attack on their servers, no user data was ever exposed. So your accounts and info are still secure.

Sony also confirmed that the server issues are caused by a denial-of-service attack.

Their full statement can be read down here:

Like other major networks around the world, the PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network have been impacted by an attempt to overwhelm our network with artificially high traffic.

Although this has impacted your ability to access our network and enjoy our services, no personal information has been accessed.

We will continue to work towards fixing this issue and hope to have our services up and running as soon as possible.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

-Sony

All issues seem to have been resolved as of now. All networks affected by this attack including PSN and XBL seem to be up and running again.

Sources:

Polygon

Shacknews

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 3

Dammit Sony improve your servers, you don't see MS getting blow after blow by a group of 14y/o's named 'Lizard Squad' or whatever.

(Btw if this happened to MS the Sony fanboys would be having a damn field day)

Good article Nutterbutter.

UPDATE: Just read the polygon article, evidently the group tweeted a bomb scare and the Sony CEO's plane was diverted. Wow.

Oh if the MS servers went down the Sony fanboys would not shut up about it.

Remember that time the MS servers did went down and all the Sony fanboys wouldn't shut up about it and their servers went down only a few days later? It was amazing :drool:

Well this isn't the first time...

More reason to buy an XB1 tbh.

It's not the first time, but hell. It definitely won't be the last time. I agree with Biggles on his part to get an X1.

Sony pls.

just... yeah. You guys said it.

Sony has already shown that they are vulnerable when it comes to their security, and this is further proof of that statement.

I was present the last time a big hack like this went down. It was in 2010 or 2011 I believe, and it was before I got an Xbox (only after my Step Dad smashed my PS3 to pieces).

To cut to the chase... it was down for like a month. And that last time ALLOT of Profile Info was taken.

At least they gave us a Month of free PS+ that time...

Good catch N3wsnut.

"LizardSquad" A.K.A: The army of the PC fanatics. Taking out console after console, to be the last one standing.

Things like this are why I prefer Xbawx

WHY DIDN"T YOU KNOCK ON WOOD!?

Edited by rrhuntington