Assassin's Creed Unity Will Contain Microtransactions

The upcoming Ubisoft current generation only title, Assassin's Creed Unity, has been confirmed to have microtransactions implemented into the game.

Most of the gaming community considers microtransactions (purchasable items that allow the player to pay real money to get ahead instead of earning the items) a blight to video games, but most companies seem to be hopping unto the microtransaction bandwagon. IGN.com reports the next of these is Ubisoft with their next game, Assassin's Creed Unity. Ubisoft has confirmed the game will feature microtransactions at launch allowing players to buy items like gear, weapons, and supplies that normal players would have to work for by playing the game to unlock. Senior Producer Vincent (Not me) Pontibrand spoke about the idea to TotalXbox.com at Gamescom this year, saying, "If we think it fits the gameplay, or the brand itself, the core values, we're willing to take those risks. If not, then not. We're not going to make any compromises." Ubisoft has however said that they will not go over-board with the microtransaction items available, stating that it needs to fit the core experience. More information on microtransactions in-game will be available at a later date Ubisoft said, which means we can probably expect more info next month, as the game launches this October.

post-26953-0-58270700-1408059120.jpg

It's not like microtransactions are new to Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed IV had items that you could unlock by either hunting on The Jackdaw (your ship) or purchasing, each around the $1 mark, so not too expensive. What do you think of this news, has it swayed your decision to buy Unity? Discuss it below! Thank you very much for reading!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 2

Not a fan of the "trend". Sooner or later they will implement a "must buy" to continue playing the game or certain parts of the game.

I highly doubt it will go that far because people will boycott it easily.

However Micro-Transactions while I totally see why they're being implemented are extremely annoying. As long as unlocking items isn't an annoying slow grind and these purchases are just for those with no time whatsoever then I'll pick a side. 

Microtransactions have a bad name due to past games or f2p games and even mobile games (Looking at you Kim Kardasian) 

AC IV had a sword set you could get, which in all opinion was only triumphed by one other set. You could earn this via U-play points.

While the micro transactions allowed customisation to your ship and a shortcut to other stuff.

The shortcut kits in BF are complete garbage. Everything is acquirable ingame, but pay 5 bucks to skip all your effort and really only gain the basic weapons (most boxes you get later on contain more attachments and such so most low level players who use this have useless weapons.) 

Micro transactions are very, very annoying and to see it implemented into yet another game in the Assassin's Creed franchise is very disappointing indeed. Why do Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers have to be so greedy (looking at you EA)? Although I can see some point in them as well, for instance I bet a lot of the money spent on micro transactions goes into the development of later games in the franchise. Also to be honest if the content featured in these said micro transactions are exclusive bits of content which cannot be accessed later in game then it's not that bad I guess. I can see the justification in them making it a micro transaction. Although it still is annoying, if they truly cared about the fans of their games like indie developers do they could release it in the actual game or release it in an update as oppose to making you pay for it later at an extra price, as if you haven't already paid enough for the friggen game.

Great article as always Edward :D.

If it is in an free to play mmo, fine, they need to make money somehow....

But a single player game, why would you even want that, how does that fit the gameplay?

Ubisoft are really pushing it now..... :)

Exactly.

It's single player only now really, there's no MP.

I presume it's just for you to show off to your friends (Like they'll care.)