Playing as a Spartan 2

Dwingz

Is anyone else hoping that in Halo 5 Guardians we play as a Spartan 2 across Campaign, Multiplayer, etc. What I mean by this is that later after halo 3 our size was decreased and we look very small and skinny (spartans). For proof if you compare your spartan driving a moongoose in halo 4 then in halo 3 or compare your height in which you see (proably a word for that) on the remake Ragnarok you can see the difference. This also is happening in the Halo 2 Anniversary as now you dont crouch to get on the mini turret. This might be me but I also think its the reason why our armor looks wierd plus the brightness of the spartans.

Based on what we know about Halo 5, expect to play as a Spartan III model. It is probably the only way 343 could justify introducing a new spartan considering all of the Spartan IIs were acounted for in the novels. Hundreds of Spartan IIIs were issued since the UNSC discovered Onyx, so it would be easy for  343 to take one of them. Yes, the armor will certainly be smaller, but odds are that it will be more customizable and act the same as it did in Halo 4. Remember, we were all a Spartan III in Halo: Reach and it wasn't a problem.

BTW, 343 shrunk the Master Chief to a twig in Halo 4 without justification, so, honestly, who knows what they will do

Halo 5 we'll be playing as S-IV's because after the war any surviving SII's and SIII's were offered to become Spartan IV's for example in the latest escalation comic we see Fred S104 who is now actually a Spartan-IV. Most of you don't seem to realize that S-IV's aren't all the cocky characters we've seen in H4 there's are Spartans from the other program's in it now too.

• Like 1

Halo 5 we'll be playing as S-IV's because after the war any surviving SII's and SIII's were offered to become Spartan IV's for example in the latest escalation comic we see Fred S104 who is now actually a Spartan-IV. Most of you don't seem to realize that S-IV's aren't all the cocky characters we've seen in H4 there's are Spartans from the other program's in it now too.

I thought only in name not in specification, due to them being a product of a war crime

Oni needed to cover them up.

I wonder how far along the timeline will H5 be set? Escalation 8 places events within 72 hours after H4. So seeing it from that angle will there be a new Mark level armor for the chief so soon? How far up the time line was Spartan Ops? 6 months to a year? Yeah i'm confused at the moment.

Mostly, I'm just hoping that our Spartans actually go back to being Spartan-sized: given how the Chief still towers over everyone around him in Halo 4's ending cutscene it's clear he's still clearly much taller than normal humans and even Spartan-IVs, so the fact that in-game he's only the same size as everyone else is probably just an engine limitation. I can kind of understand why they've done it as otherwise they'd need two completely different sets of animations for regular humans and Spartans because of the difference in relative weapon sizes, seat space etc, but it's still a bit frustrating. The alternative would be upscaling Spartan models and the weapon in their hands or having them change sizes whenever in a vehicle (in order to avoid clipping), but that would just look stupid.

I actually wouldn't going back to the older, Halo 2/3-style where most weapons looked almost comically undersized in a Spartan's hands because it gave a real sense of the size of the players, and that was definitely missing in Halo 4 (though admittedly the sound design helped make up for it a little). It sort of made sense in Reach because the members of Noble Team didn't get the same augments as the Spartan-IIs and were only really meant to be about the same size as the average human (and of course, Jorge looked suitably massive alongside them), but for the Chief at least, I'd definitely like to see a larger model.

Beyond that, I don't really mind which generation of Spartan we play as, as Locke could really be from any of them without harming canon: he could be a Spartan-II washout like Osman whose body was able to accept a later generation of augments, a Spartan-III pulled from Alpha or Beta companies like Noble Team, or just a regular Spartan-IV inductee. Regardless of which one is picked there's plenty of potential to give him a good character and backstory, and I'll be very interested in seeing what they do with him in Nightfall.

As for multiplayer: I think we're probably going to be using Spartan-IVs again, as canonically almost all surviving Spartan-IIs are named and have characters, and given Jun's appearance in the comics I'd say by now any remaining Spartan-IIIs have probably been drafted into the Spartan-IV program either as instructors or operatives. As the Spartan-IV programme is a public, volunteer-based branch it's probably not going to be replaced anytime soon, and it's the only way that allows for customisation of Spartans without suddenly resurrecting massive numbers of Spartan-IIs.

Beyond that, I don't really mind which generation of Spartan we play as, as Locke could really be from any of them without harming canon: he could be a Spartan-II washout like Osman whose body was able to accept a later generation of augments, a Spartan-III pulled from Alpha or Beta companies like Noble Team, or just a regular Spartan-IV inductee. Regardless of which one is picked there's plenty of potential to give him a good character and backstory, and I'll be very interested in seeing what they do with him in Nightfall.

He's not old enough to be a Spartan-II.

• Like 1

any surviving SII's and SIII's were offered to become Spartan IV's

Actually Spartan-II's will always remain S-II's due to their surgical and chemical modifications whereas S-III's(and presumably S-IV's however we don't have enough data yet) only received chemical modifications. The S-III's were offered the upgrade to S-IV's only. Fred is seen wearing new armor which is perfectly canonical since Spartans can easily just change their armor into one of the newer superior versions which is exactly what Fred and the remaining S-II's did.

But to answer your question OP we know that Locke will be a playable character in Halo 5 so we will be playing as both a Spartan-II(Master Chief) and a Spartan-IV(Agent Locke).  

Mostly, I'm just hoping that our Spartans actually go back to being Spartan-sized: given how the Chief still towers over everyone around him 

That is because Spartan-II's received Catalytic Thyroid Implants which resulted in their extreme growth(Other Spartan Generations did not recieve those implants which explains the shorter S-III's)

pretty sure by specification they're now S-IV

They're most likely specified as a S-IV as their current "rank" or "division" so to say but their service record will clearly mention their S-III past which then leads them to theoretically still being S-III's

When has a little thing like Canon ever effected the games in the past? They'll just rewrite The Fall of Reach again.

Games before books in my opinion. 

A lot of things in the lore have changed with the release of new halo games. Just as the adjustment of the AR, bungie gave it a different name, problem solved.

Games before books in my opinion. 

A lot of things in the lore have changed with the release of new halo games. Just as the adjustment of the AR, bungie gave it a different name, problem solved.

There shouldn't even need to be an "A before B" at all. It is NOT difficult to keep up with canon. 

You know where the whole "games before books" or "books before games" thing came from? Bungie not paying attention to their own story and then trying to pretend they didn't mess up.

There shouldn't even need to be an "A before B" at all. It is NOT difficult to keep up with canon. 

You know where the whole "games before books" or "books before games" thing came from? Bungie not paying attention to their own story and then trying to pretend they didn't mess up.

Well I know Bungie doesn't pay attention to the lore, I just explained that they adjusted it as they see fit and fall of reach is a perfect example of that. I mean up to Halo 3 everything in the book is known as the official event and ofcourse Halo reach screwed that up.

In my opinion I rather go with the games than with the books, but bungie dropped a big mess on the lore with Reach.

Well I know Bungie doesn't pay attention to the lore, I just explained that they adjusted it as they see fit and fall of reach is a perfect example of that. I mean up to Halo 3 everything in the book is known as the official event and ofcourse Halo reach screwed that up.

In my opinion I rather go with the games than with the books, but bungie dropped a big mess on the lore with Reach.

Well the thing is, if you go completely by the games and not the books than everything is fine. Seriously, no bad birthdays (included in the additional content for the games, i.e. game books), no people being where they shouldn't be, and no covenant strike teams landing on Reach before Captain Keyes lead them to Reach.

The thing that upsets me about the canon breach with Reach (odd how that rhymes) is that it is easily fixable. A patch to change the time stamps in the game and saying "Oops, we missprinted the b-days. Our bad. Here's the real ones." A book on the other hand, that requires rewriting the book and rereleasing it. Which costs far more money than admitting a mistake.

Well the thing is, if you go completely by the games and not the books than everything is fine. Seriously, no bad birthdays (included in the additional content for the games, i.e. game books), no people being where they shouldn't be, and no covenant strike teams landing on Reach before Captain Keyes lead them to Reach.

The thing that upsets me about the canon breach with Reach (odd how that rhymes) is that it is easily fixable. A patch to change the time stamps in the game and saying "Oops, we missprinted the b-days. Our bad. Here's the real ones." A book on the other hand, that requires rewriting the book and rereleasing it. Which costs far more money than admitting a mistake.

They could completely fix it with a patch, but nope not important. IT is stated that Halo Reach takes place in the later events happening in the book, but that just doesn't solve it.

their service record will clearly mention their S-III past 

Thorne mentions in his notebook that Spartan-III's were even more ghostlier than Spartan-II's, receiving just about no mention at all in general intel as opposed to Spartan-II's, who were publicly revealed to act as a morale booster for the humans and also so they can actually participate in military operations as opposed to being a shady black ops team, like Noble Team, or suicide squads.

So no, their service record won't clearly mention their S-III past. 

Thorne mentions in his notebook that Spartan-III's were even more ghostlier than Spartan-II's, receiving just about no mention at all in general intel as opposed to Spartan-II's, who were publicly revealed to act as a morale booster for the humans and also so they can actually participate in military operations as opposed to being a shady black ops team, like Noble Team, or suicide squads.

So no, their service record won't clearly mention their S-III past. 

I think that most of the remaining older spartans were put into the spartan-IV ranks for one single reason: cover up.

Halsey is known to have created the spartans, but she is branded a war criminal because she used children.

Spartan-II's and III's are valuable assets and Oni made sure that these spartan's were re enlisted as spartan-IV's.

No evidence of Halsey's spartans and a bunch of experienced spartans to either train other spartans or to use in active duty.

No harm, no foul.