What if..the bubble shield was brought back in Halo 5?

Helix Amell

I see what you did there, but I only saw mention of it being a grenade aesthetically, rather than in practice, and the "throw" was merely mentioned as an animation for deploying it at your feet. I'm referring to being able to manually aim and throw it, whether at your feet or at other points of interest.

Hehe, like my pun? XD But yeah, I see what you mean. :P That would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

Bubble Shield is bad map design. Anything that stops the map flow isn't good. Anytime you plant an impenetrable shield down on the map you will get a situation where one player sits on one side and another player sits on the other. I can think of countless examples of similar setups where this has hurt performance in maps from past Halo's.

1. Shields in Snowbound from H3

2. Lift room on Guardian (campfest)

3. Shield doors on Epitaph

If you'll remember Bungie actually caught this error with #'s 1 & 2 as they released Epilogue and Boundless which were versions of those 2 maps without shield doors. Needless to say they played considerably better. 

Camping in Halo is bad enough without giving people a tool to turn an open field into a place to camp.

Bubble Shield is bad map design. Anything that stops the map flow isn't good. Anytime you plant an impenetrable shield down on the map you will get a situation where one player sits on one side and another player sits on the other. I can think of countless examples of similar setups where this has hurt performance in maps from past Halo's.

If you'll remember Bungie actually caught this error with #'s 1 & 2 as they released Epilogue and Boundless which were versions of those 2 maps without shield doors. Needless to say they played considerably better. 

Camping in Halo is bad enough without giving people a tool to turn an open field into a place to camp.

I agree with all of this 100%

However having the bubble shield as an option for Custom Games would be great too(I quite like the grenade idea). 

I disagree. I think your comparison between the Bubble Shield and the shield doors on maps like Snowbound and Epitaph lacks consideration of a few points:

1. The Bubble Shield is temporary (dictated by time and damage), so camping isn't quite a beneficial strategy. If you see a player attempt to camp in a Bubble Shield with let's say a Shotgun, then you can simply wait for the shield to dissipate (and get more distance while doing so).

2. The shield doors on these maps only have one way to go through... One single direction. This makes movement very predictable, and so campers will know where you likely will/must enter. The Bubble Shield can be entered from multiple directions, limited only by the map geometry of the area its deployed in.

3. Shield doors are never present without being connected to walls, and so players can camp to the side of these shield doors (giving them protection AND offering stealth. This is not the case with the Bubble Shield, as it is generated in the shape of a dome and is nearly transparent. There is no way to avoid being damage unless inside the dome, but you will still be visible (unless behind map geometry, which would do this regardless of the shield).

I'd certainly say that the shield doors on the aforementioned maps were a poorly-implemented design choice, but let's reserve final judgement for when we have familiarized ourselves with the dome shield on Zenith (H2A's Ascension remake), shall we?

1. The Bubble Shield is temporary (dictated by time and damage), so camping isn't quite a beneficial strategy. If you see a player attempt to camp in a Bubble Shield with let's say a Shotgun, then you can simply wait for the shield to dissipate (and get more distance while doing so).

This creates bad map flow.

• 5 weeks later...