My thoughts on Destiny [BETA]

SykoWolf

Before I start, I must make it clear that the following is my opinion. The opinion of an 18 year old game development student from Australia whose been playing games since he was 4. A person whose favourite game franchise of all time is Halo, and someone who can not stand racing and sports games.

Everyone is free to have their own opinion on Destiny. My opinion is my own and I simply wish to share it with you fine folk.

The Story: From the opening cut scene I actually felt the need to explore Destiny's world, to uncover the lore and story surrounding the world in which I was thrust in to. Its genuinly interesting trying to fiugre out whats going on, such as what the traveller is and why its on Earth, who the Fallen are and where they came from and what the darkness is.

I wouldn't say its on par with Halo, but this is still early on. I'll need some additional data before I can actually say whether the story is on par with some of the greats.

Overall, the story is worth my time. Its something that will keep me playing from beginning to end and thats a key factor of any game with a campaign.

The Combat: Love it. Seriously, the combat reminds me of Halo with a little more power behind each shot. Mowing down waves of enemies is enjoyable and the different types of these hostiles keep the game interesting.

The enemy AI seems to be quite intelligent, activly avoiding my grenades and flanking me whenever possible. Some enemies with snipers will hang back and supress me whilst the melee hostiles will flank and come up behind me. Its nice fighting an enemy that isn't as dumb as a bag of rocks.

The number of weapons/weapon styles also helps keep combat interesting, giving players 3 weapons to have on them at any time. A primary weapon, a special weapon and a heavy weapon. For me, this was a Scout Rifle (primary weapon thats essentially a DMR) , Fusion Rifle (A charged 3 round energy burst rifle with incredible damage, but close range) and a machine gun (Basicaly an LMG/Support weapon with high ammunication capacity).

One final thing that contributes to the combat in this game are the boss battles. So far I've gone up against an incredibly powerful Fallen Tank, and a floating ball of pure death. Both of which took quite some time to take down, even with 3 squadmates.

Overall I find Destiny's combat to be solid and enjoyable. Its not a breakthrough in game design, but its definitly well done.

The Music: As with all Bungie games, the music in Destiny is amazing. Kicking in at the perfect times to give you the correct feeling for the situation, whether it be epic music for combat or serene music for cut scenes and the hub world.

Can't say much about this really. Music is superb, no question about that.

Overall?: I feel that Destiny is a great new IP for Bungie and a solid game franchise. I feel that it will be rather successful and more then likely lead to two sequels which I will be happy to buy. Definitly a game worth buying in my honest opinion.

I will say this though, many people overhyped this game as some epic new IP to change all games out there. This is not the case. Destiny is a great game, no doubt in my mind, but if you're expecting something thats revolutionary then you may be disappointed.

Well, except for the dance button. The dance button is revolutionary and all games should have one.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the read. I know I didnt include anything about the graphic quality of the game, but It will probably be different depending on the platform you play on, so its not worth me saying.

Im also not putting a number on the game, because numbered reviews are absolutely stupid ( 7/10 and whatnot )

But yeah, definitly a game worth checking out.

By the way, if you have any questions about Destiny, feel free to ask me. I've maxed out my Titan class and Im working on a Warlock and Hunter class now.

Edited by SykoWolf
  • Like 3

Thoughts on the PvP element of multiplayer? Is it something that players can spend loooooong time on grinding to go up ranks (If they existed), playing day after day with a strong focus? Or is it something of a fleeting pleasure, a multiplayer where you get on because you have nothing to do and you'll play until you're bored, and it really feels casual?

Also, how are the missions? Do they feel like a story that you're progressing through or is it just generic MMO 'Kill 10 Fallen' etc?

Thoughts on the PvP element of multiplayer? Is it something that players can spend loooooong time on grinding to go up ranks (If they existed), playing day after day with a strong focus? Or is it something of a fleeting pleasure, a multiplayer where you get on because you have nothing to do and you'll play until you're bored, and it really feels casual?

Also, how are the missions? Do they feel like a story that you're progressing through or is it just generic MMO 'Kill 10 Fallen' etc?

The multiplayer is interesting. The only mode available atm is control. Its essentially a territory gametype.

Honestly I feel its a solid multiplayer that you could spend a decent amount of time on. The maps (only two atm for the Beta) are well designed and can cause some tense situations.

Vehicles seem to be slightly OP in multiplayer though, but thats just my opinion.

As for the missions, they range from horde mode type objectives to collection objectives. Its litered with story and you can actually meet players who are on different missions along the way. Its very interesting. Not even counting boss battles and the different enemy types Id say its well worth a playthrough or two.

Honestly I think it does feel like you're progresing through a story, just with random encounters with other players along the way to spice it up.

Edited by SykoWolf

How do you feel about the weapon balancing in PvP? I hear several players complaining about how level 8s outclass level 2 weapons easily. Also, while the music is memorable, since it's repetitive (more so than their earlier games) it may be memorable for some of the wrong reasons. 

lol There will be 3 sequels. Just had to tell ya'.  :P   

How do you feel about the weapon balancing in PvP? I hear several players complaining about how level 8s outclass level 2 weapons easily. Also, while the music is memorable, since it's repetitive (more so than their earlier games) it may be memorable for some of the wrong reasons. 

lol There will be 3 sequels. Just had to tell ya'.   :P   

In PvP they try to match you with people of the same level. Unfortunatly you won't always go up against someone your level if mainly level 7's are available for a match.

But thats correct, level 8's outclass level 2's easily.

Music is superb? Well, you guys know who to thank for that.

Also, I never thought the revolutionary thing was going to pan out as actually revolutionary. To bring something like that to video games is something that almost never happens.

Indie games with less to lose with experimentation have been hailed as the revolutionary games of our time. Destiny's development is safer than Bungie cares to admit, and the only thing that's revolutionary is the abundance of content (as I can tell). 

Destiny's music is gorgeous, and the pre-game music is a melodic solo that's at least an octave lower than the head slicing main menu music of Halo 4. 

I completely agree with everything you said Syko ^_^

Though i've maxed out all 3 classes, and have found all 5 gold chests, and had a solid MP experience. I still enjoy the game.

I also find myself sitting at the title screen, listening to the music for long periods of time. It's just so peaceful, haven't heard anything like this since.. Well Halo ^_^

All in all, I'm pumped for the release too.

Although the [??] level enemies in various caves are scary O.O

• Like 1

Which needs more work right now, PvP or PvE? And also, how fair is the Crucible, where players who play more and have better weapons and abilities can play against players who haven't taken an inch of a step into the game?

And how do each 3 class balance each other? Is the Titan, with it's immense health, just OP?

(Also, I was taking a look at the pictures - Exo's look like Kanohi Mask-wearing Bonkles)

^

In Pvp Your defence and attack rating are all balanced.

For example, A level 5 sniper will be as good as a level 8.

Or

A Hunter armour will be as good as a Titan.

Perks do carry over though for a bit of varied gameplay and strategy.
 The crucible is unlocked at level five.

We need to see more of Pvp  to really know if it needs work, we really have not seen much of it. :)

^

Pvp, yes health is all the same

Pve, nope

Titan has the best armour ( takes the most damage )

The Hunter has agility ( but jump the highest, move the fastest )

The Warlock has recovery (heals the fastest )

A classed have their own subclasses and in those subclass there are perk trees that are active in every game mode.

In Pvp Health and attack are all balanced

In Pve it all depends on the weapons and gear you have got. :)

Edited by Caboose the Ace

The different classes scale quite well. The Titan's basically a tank, the Warlock has great AOE attacks and the hunter excels at taking down single targets.

However you're free to play each class however you want, the main difference is in their abilities and what they're directed towards.

^

Skyo that is only for the classes we used in the Beta

Every subclass has a different job...

The Hunter one in the beta is for single targets while the other one is more melee based.

The names escape me. :)

The subclasses still adhere to what the main class is. The Titan will alwyas be a tank, but his subclass may make him more efficient in certain fields. He will still be a tank though.

^

Not true.... with the second Titan subclass you become less of a tank and take more of a defensive role in the battle, less offensive abilities.

The Gunslinger subclass is made for dps, single target

The second Hunter subclass is made more for, group enemy attacks. :)

^

Not true.... with the second Titan subclass you become less of a tank and take more of a defensive role in the battle, less offensive abilities.

The Gunslinger subclass is made for dps, single target

The second Hunter subclass is made more for, group enemy attacks. :)

Actually I am correct. The Titan is still a tank no matter what. He has the highest defence rating of any character and his play style is generally a headstrong approach.

The subclasses are just that... SUB classes. They fine tune your character to your playstyle. So you can play the Titan in a support role if you chose to do so.

Syko is correct. While admittedly the Titan wasn't exactly designed to perfectly fill the MMO niche of a Tank, it does have traits that let him perform such duties. Whether said player decides to become a Striker or Defender.

Syko, can you confirm that health is exactly the same on all 3 classes in the Crucible?

Edited by Zwei Flare

Thats just it, you can be a support/offence role. Still remaining in the thick of the battle whilst fine tuning your abilities to help those around you more.

As for the Crucible, Im not certain. I feel like its entirely dependant on your character level and equipment. I could be wrong though.

^

In the Crucible unless it is a special event like the iron banner all weapons and armour no matter the level are equal to one another.

A level 2 sniper is just as good as a level 5 in pvp

A level eights Hunters armour is just as good as a Warlock level twos armour. :)

Edited by Caboose the Ace