Was it sad, maybe, depending on the person. Was it unexpected, No.

The campaign just screamed it at you the more you pressed on. I already knew before I got the game thanks to spoilers, but I still held out hope throughout playing that somehow, it was a lie. It obviously wasn't. I kept telling myself "there's no way they'd kill off Cortana." and then they did. Still remember that night, felt like a storm had passed after I had finished the game. It also was weird, that as I finished the game, it turned into dawn.

I think the reason that i reacted so strongly to this is that Halo was one of the first videogames i played. And ever since i saw Cortana, i thougt she was awesome. So yeah, i might have a more emotional bond to Cortana and Halo in general than most other people. But i do hope that she comes back.

• Like 1

Halo 4 was kinda forced character development. :)

I don't see why Chief cares out Cortana that much.

He was with her during the end of the fall of Reach

Halo ce

Halo first strike

Whatever happen in-between first strike and H2

Halo 2

A little bit of Halo 3

Halo 4

And that is not even that long time to know someone at all.

Halo ce

Halo first strike

Halo 2

A little bit of Halo 3

Halo 4

You mean someone who was always there for him, cared for him, who was his support?

People can fall in love in a day, I can think they can love eachother (non romantic way) in that same time span as well.

on the OP, Dude I get it I cried as well, I cried at the ending of Halo 3 when I thought the Chief died, he is my childhood hero.

• Like 2

Halo ce

Halo first strike

Halo 2

A little bit of Halo 3

Halo 4

It wasn't about the time, it was about their dependency on each other. After all these deadly situations they were in together, they became closer because of circumstance. Chief needed Cortana, as Cortana needed him. If he died, she died. This was the way it always was. Every horrific situation they went through put them closer together. Time really serves no purpose when a relationship is based off Life and Death.

"We were supposed to take care of each other."

Also, how much knowing must there be? She is a younger Halsey clone in A.I form, yet different. Yet another reason why Chief has such an emotional connection to her.

• Like 2

It wasn't about the time, it was about their dependency on each other. After all these deadly situations they were end together, they became closer because of circumstance. Chief needed Cortana, as Cortana needed him. If he died, she died. This was the way it always was. Every horrific situation they went through put them closer together. Time really serves no purpose when a relationship is based off Life and Death.

Also, how much knowing must there be? She is a younger Halsey clone in A.I form, yet different. Yet another reason why Chief has such an emotional connection to her.

People think he loves her romantically, while I think he loves her like a good friend or surrogate mother, someone who cared for him.

People think he loves her romantically, while I think he loves her like a good friend or surrogate mother, someone who cared for him.

Looking about the way I just explained it, and the way you just stated it makes her death seem even more depressing. :(

Then by that standards if Kelly died it would affect John more than Cortanas death did ? :)

Kelly is a Spartan. Fully capable of depending on herself in threatening situations. She doesn't count on John for everything like Cortana did, and John does not count on Kelly like he does Cortana. It's all about dependency, like I said, and Kelly doesn't need to depend on the Master Chief for life.

We have seen though, every Spartan's death pulls at John, because those are his brothers and sisters dying. We saw Sam die right in front of him, and I would venture to guess he would more or less act the same way for any Spartan II's death.  

^

In the Halo ce novel....

Chief gets out of his pod when he lands on Halo and evades the Covenant. He soon runs into a squad of grunts and Elites.

He kills the grunts and the elites but misses one and the Elite almost stabs him with an energy sword. Having been in a squad almost his whole military life he expected someone to be watching his back.

Spartans do depend on one another to an extent.

Chief did adapt his tactics during the novel though and got used to being alone. :)

Also, John knew Cortana for less than a year I think ( not counting cryosleep ) and he knew someone like Kelly almost his whole life.

Edited by Caboose the Ace