Didact's Return

Well I saw a "is the didact alive?" post earlier, and it made me want to just go do my own discussion on whether or not he will return (I'm basically just copying what I said in the "Flood Return" topic by Seeker of Truth, so thanks man for making that topic in the first place).

I'm going to post some evidence to show that he will, and feel free to post your own opinions, and thoughts below. Or maybe just completely disagree with me, I don't care. :)

Let's get started. My knowledge on the lore is currently not solid since I haven't read up on some of it in awhile, so if I say something that's off then feel free to correct me:

1: A pulse grenade won't do as much damage to class 12 (or for Didact's armor it could be even higher) armor compared to Chief's class 2 (since his armor was upgraded in cryosleep we can guess he might have went up a few armor grades). So an inference could tell you that he survived the Pulse blast, and fall into the Slipspace bubble (cause for 1: His experimentation with Flood immunity made him immune to the Composer). And like the people in New Phoenix, he could have been transported back to Requiem with the newly formed Prometheans, OR fell to New Phoenix in a damaged state. That is open for debate.

2: He appears on the Halo: Escalation #9 cover (which for those who pay no attention to the Comics, is a comic based on the events after Spartan Ops, and Halo 4) punching the Chief. There was no event in Halo 4 where Didact literally punched the Chief, so there's more leverage. But it could also just be an analogy to how Chief was nearly defeated by the Didact, and the cover shows it: kinda like Chief getting shellshock from his encounter with the Didact. I just want to say that the Comic has yet to come out, so it's speculation at this point... but still.

Here's the cover

Tcyawvx.png

3: 343i specifically states that they want to bring up some characters, and try to keep them there instead of killing them off outright. They said that they were guilty of doing it in some previous fiction, but their intention is to try to keep them as alive as possible (And really now. Why would they kill a pivotal enemy/character from the Halo lore in 1 game? Seriously... he's bound to come back).

I have to go fetch the source where they said that though, so I'll post the link in a bit.

4: The Silenced reminded me of this, but The Didact speaks in the Epilogue... just another bit of info to support this.

Anyhow thoughts?

Edited by Self Destruct
  • Like 4

I think it's blatantly obvious that he will return!!! He

has to return!! Of all the Halo games I've played, (all

of them) I can say that the Didact is one of two BA

bosses that I remember. If he doesn't make a comeback,

I'm going to be disappointed.

Your first theory seems very logical, and now that you've

brought it up it makes perfect sense. Pulse grenades are

rather weak, and I more often then not end up using them

as a quick finisher.

I'm going to skip your 2nd theory all together, but only

because I am not familiar with any comics whatsoever. I

might get into those sometime, just not today haha.

• Like 2

Well, the whole thing with an advanced Forerunner in class-12 armor and a slipspace fall kind of interlock at one point.

One side, the Didact *could* have ship-grade shields in his armor (though unlikely, it's a class-12 combat skin) to withstand the slipspace trip, or it could rip him apart. But seeing as he speaks in the epilogue, and the things he says, I bethink (believe/think) this mofo will return.

Continuing: Yes, Pulse Grenades are rather inneffective.

Anyway, even if a super-p***** Didact and his band of misfit skullbots manage to return, humanity will probably have an overwhelming bloodthirst for vengeance, after a whole Earth city was eaten (by a giant space banana no less) and oh-so-many civilians dead, the UNSC and public alike would undoubtfully love to shove a Railgun in the Didact's mouth, charge, and blow the living crap out of him.

Continuing... Again: The comic does show Ur-Didact Falcon-punching Chief, but Halo 4 showed nothing of the sort. There is the possibility that it was "cut" from the final game (it lands a serious blow to the Chief's rep of indestructibility,) but come on, let's be honest: we ALL would want to see that. So, the only logical explanation: Didact came back, Chief was in the WRONG place at the WRONG time, and got sucker-punched. Of course, my theories above would indicate that Prometheans attack (an invasion force is all that's left after the Composer, a vauable asset, was destroyed) and are crushed under the UNSC's heavy, angry boot, then Ur-Didact makes a special guest star appearance. Logically, the Prometheans would be countered by SPARTANS (Blue Team perhaps?) sent to repel the b*******. 117 could take his royal-pain-in-the-buttstock out from behind (via Combat Knife? Frag 'nade? Magnum?) and end Halo 5 abruptly.

Or, a Watcher could do his job, spot 117, and sound a screeching alarm, where all of the Space Command forces to open fire.

I'm not going to go on any futher, as I should be starting a thread about it. Actually, I did.

More may be posted.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are two possibilities of Didact returning in Halo 5 (or in subsequent titles):

Ur-Didact: He wasn't killed by MC at the end of Halo 4- he even speaks in the epilogue, most likely to his army of Prometheans at an undisclosed location and time. He fell backwards into the slipspace portal, the same portal that was being used as a conduit for the data stream of composed humans from New Phoenix. He ended up going to wherever that stream was being fed to, more than likely. Where might be that "wherever" be?

- The Lesser Ark

- Halo Installation 03, or perhaps one of the other "undiscovered" ones.

- Another shield world (we know there were many constructed. We've only known about 3 different ones so far, I believe?)

- Somewhere new and unknown as of yet.

Either way, he most likely ended up somewhere quiet far away from the solar system, so he'll need to regroup and find new means of travel.

IsoDidact: He vowed to never return and meddle with the affairs of this universe, but I definitely could see him returning somehow/for some reason. Perhaps he finds greater truth (or danger) out beyond our spiral arms, and has no choice but to come back. Or perhaps he finds Precursors or like-Precursors out there. Who knows. That's so very open-ended at this point, and he'll either come back, or it'll be forever a "loose end" of sorts. Nothing wrong with a bit of mystery. :]

There are two possibilities of Didact returning in Halo 5 (or in subsequent titles):

Ur-Didact: He wasn't killed by MC at the end of Halo 4- he even speaks in the epilogue, most likely to his army of Prometheans at an undisclosed location and time. He fell backwards into the slipspace portal, the same portal that was being used as a conduit for the data stream of composed humans from New Phoenix. He ended up going to wherever that stream was being fed to, more than likely. Where might be that "wherever" be?

- The Lesser Ark

- Halo Installation 03, or perhaps one of the other "undiscovered" ones.

- Another shield world (we know there were many constructed. We've only known about 3 different ones so far, I believe?)

- Somewhere new and unknown as of yet.

Either way, he most likely ended up somewhere quiet far away from the solar system, so he'll need to regroup and find new means of travel.

IsoDidact: He vowed to never return and meddle with the affairs of this universe, but I definitely could see him returning somehow/for some reason. Perhaps he finds greater truth (or danger) out beyond our spiral arms, and has no choice but to come back. Or perhaps he finds Precursors or like-Precursors out there. Who knows. That's so very open-ended at this point, and he'll either come back, or it'll be forever a "loose end" of sorts. Nothing wrong with a bit of mystery. :]

the Iso-Didact is still alive?

the Iso-Didact is still alive?

Yep. There's an extra epilogue for Silentium, and in it 

we read about what happens to Riser, and we also learn that IsoDidact, Chant-to-Green (now titled Lifeshaper), and a small group of other surviving Forerunners leave the Milky Way galaxy for destinations unknown, with IsoD vowing to never meddle with life here again.

Yep. There's an extra epilogue for Silentium, and in it 

we read about what happens to Riser, and we also learn that IsoDidact, Chant-to-Green (now titled Lifeshaper), and a small group of other surviving Forerunners leave the Milky Way galaxy for destinations unknown, with IsoD vowing to never meddle with life here again.

the only reason the Ur-Didact is alvie in 2558 is cos he was in stasis the whole time otherwise he'd be dead already so guess we don't know about Bornstellar 

the only reason the Ur-Didact is alvie in 2558 is cos he was in stasis the whole time otherwise he'd be dead already so guess we don't know about Bornstellar 

Yep, thanks to the Librarian betraying him and locking him up in a Cryptum. When the Halos were fired, the Domain was extinguished, and Ur-Didact was left to meander in his own mental rage and torment for a very, very long time. Bornstellar/IsoDidact, if still alive, is out beyond the galaxy somewhere.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Epilogue. I'll post it up there; thanks for reminding me. :)

That epilogue is just a speech; it was delivered to the High Council blah blah blah people by the Didact to all his Forerunner peers to justify his actions etc. during the time period 100,000 years prior to the events of Halo 4. Just because it was his voice, doesn't mean he is necessarily alive. While I'm certain that the Ur-Didact survived his encounter with the Chief at Midnight, I wouldn't use the Epilogue as the evidence that proves it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spoiler me britches Self-Destruct... Now I need the full story.

Here is what happens in that issue.

Blue team reunites after MC tells the people in ONI that the Didact wasn't a confirmed kill. They set off to find Black team who was doing something I forget. They find that all of Black team is dead. They wander into a place called the 'abyss' where all the composed stuff goes, and then BAM! The Didact is chilling there on a chair.

You know what? They could do something completely different, they could have blue team in the campaign with the chief and you get to choose the member you want to play after you complete the first run through. 2nd, you play Locke as the mistaken antagonist but you or they don't know you're up against each other until somewhere in the game the story allows it to be meshed together.

3rd, you get to play as the Didact.

The Didact's plans in Escalations #8 and #9 do not come to fruition, as Chief is alive months later in E3 2013 trailer. However, we know the cause of the cracked visor is due to the Didact crushing his helmet. Ala, Shadow-Of-Sundered-Star is alie and kicking bottom.