The Flood

I have to admit, I am shocked and depressed by how many people want the Flood to come back.

The Halo games I have enjoyed the most, with the exception of Combat Evolved, have all been the games WITHOUT the Flood.

I might actually cry if the Flood come back for Halo 5.

I want to know what makes the Flood bad from your perspective.

Also some guy made a comment earlier about a "Is the Didact still alive?", and I have things to say about that:

1: A pulse grenade won't do as much damage to class 12 (or for Didact's armor it could be even higher) armor compared to Chief's class 2 (since his armor was upgraded in cryosleep we can guess he might have went up a few armor grades). So an inference could tell you that he survived the Pulse blast, and fall into the Slipspace bubble (cause for 1: His experimentation with Flood immunity made him immune to the Composer). And like the people in New Phoenix, he could have been transported back to Requiem with the newly formed Prometheans, OR fell to New Phoenix in a damaged state. That is open for debate.

2: He appears on the Halo: Escalation #9 cover (which for those who pay no attention to the Comics, is a comic based on the events after Spartan Ops, and Halo 4) punching the Chief. There was no event in Halo 4 where Didact literally punched the Chief, so there's more leverage. But it could also just be an analogy to how Chief was nearly defeated by the Didact, and the cover shows it: kinda like Chief getting shellshock from his encounter with the Didact.

3: 343i specifically states that they want to bring up some characters, and try to keep them there instead of killing them off outright. They said that they were guilty of doing it in some previous fiction, but their intention is to try to keep them as alive as possible (And really now. Why would they kill a pivotal enemy/character from the Halo lore in 1 game? Seriously... he's bound to come back).

Sorry for that epic digression, but I just wanted to get things strait. Anyway the Flood are most definitely coming back, like Baconshelf has posted. There are too much clues, and evidence to point towards it. Plus the lone Flood Spore on the Spirit of Fire (I swear EVERYONE needs to go read Escalation...) suggests a return.

Edited by Self Destruct
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still say the Flood can go to hell and stay there... away from any future games. They are a one dimensional enemy that got stale after the very first Halo game.

Yes they are quite one dimensional. But from a writer's perspective they can be used as a great tool to enhance the story of or depth of human characters (ie: Borg and Star Trek). Something that Bungie never really utilized in their games. If 343 decide to reintroduce the Flood into future games, they would be wise to incorporate some of this into the story.

then he would likely be just another mindless drone of the Flood no different from all the other Flood fodder. Unless 343 decided it would be better to make him some kind of boss fight.

Also, i think the circumstances of the Didact turning into Flood would have to be awfully extreme. Especially seeing as how he is a highly skilled/equipped and advanced warrior who has spent hundreds of thousands of years fighting the Flood.

• Like 1

then he would likely be just another mindless drone of the Flood no different from all the other Flood fodder. Unless 343 decided it would be better to make him some kind of boss fight.

Also, i think the circumstances of the Didact turning into Flood would have to be awfully extreme. Especially seeing as how he is a highly skilled/equipped and advanced warrior who has spent hundreds of thousands of years fighting the Flood.

I feel that the Didact would rather kill himself than let himself be infected.

If he does become infected, it would happen while the Chief is distracting him. He would not be another average flood form because of his power to move objects as if he has the force. And if 343 adds that, they probably would make it a boss fight.

The flood is destructive, as soon as they gain an upperhand may it be to numbers or coördination in battle, it feels if all is lost.

An enemy that swells their ranks by every battle won.

Now the thing that botters me about them is simple, I can't find an answer in the lore, but it is said that they take over only live beings, A marine was stated that by playing dead they ignored him, while in Halo 3 they take over dead bodies as well.

The flood is dangerous to no extent and I could not imagine a worse scenario than being aware of your body's infection and that you can not do anything about it.

The flood is dangerous to no extent and I could not imagine a worse scenario than being aware of your body's infection and that you can not do anything about it.

The way Keyes and Jenkins explained it to themselves why going through it was fantastic in The Flood book. If there was anything that could get close enough to actual Mind Rape, it was the flood taking over everything that you were.

"No more. What you were--Memories-- Emotions. All is now ours."

The way Keyes and Jenkins explained it to themselves why going through it was fantastic in The Flood book. If there was anything that could get close enough to actual Mind Rape, it was the flood taking over everything that you were.

"No more. What you were--Memories-- Emotions. All is now ours."

apperantly the flood also breaks the bones of their victims in the process of taking them over, I mean the host feels that. The host feels it slithering under its skin and taking over control, I mean that must feel terrible.

apperantly the flood also breaks the bones of their victims in the process of taking them over, I mean the host feels that. The host feels it slithering under its skin and taking over control, I mean that must feel terrible.

If the flood ever finds a way to exist IRL and makes it to Earth, I'm going to find a way to blow myself up. (there is no hope.)

I hope the flood comes back. After halo reach and halo 4 I miss the creepy dark mission were around every corner there is a swarm of flood ready to rip you limb from limb. It was that kind on  the edge jaw clenching action that made the first 3 halo games so good :P

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot destroy a spore organism, especially one that has such a rapid effect on animal life as the flood has but it takes higher lifeforms with a brain level of intelligence to match ours for it to form a gravemind. As far as i remember the flood allowed a good portion of itself to succumb to the ancient humans attempt at combating it, a testing time or a shepherding act to drive the humans to wage a war on the forerunners.

They'll be back.

Remember the precursors was? said to have created it as a species wiper or final solution at wiping the slate clean and that is why the didact would stop at nothing to stop them even at the cost of an entire species.

The Didact doesn't know or discounts what the librarian did to the chief yet he has a possible weapon that could combat the flood. The digitizer which could if modified could digitize the flood but that's pure speculation. What isn't is that the chief is the only human modified or evolved to be able to withstand the digitizer and that makes him hot property.

Escalation 8 partly addresses this point of the chiefs modification.

One could lhope that the Flood will return in Halo 5. Halo 4 did something interesting in the fact that it introduced a faction which represents the anti-thesis of The Flood (The Prometheans). Since Halo 5 is supposedly the darkest game, I would hope that the Flood would return at some point in the game and result in the ultimate culmination of the Didact's fears. 

• Like 1

One could lhope that the Flood will return in Halo 5. Halo 4 did something interesting in the fact that it introduced a faction which represents the anti-thesis of The Flood (The Prometheans). Since Halo 5 is supposedly the darkest game, I would hope that the Flood would return at some point in the game and result in the ultimate culmination of the Didact's fears. 

You know you're right. H5 is supposed to be the darkest one of the trilogy...What if the Didact unleashes the flood on earth or some other colony world or on Sanghelios, his composer is gone and whether he has it's specs it might have been the pinnacle of forerunner tech that it is impossible to create another without the other forerunners who created it.

What if the precursors in ancient flood form return and begin wiping all life in their path in a bid to rid the galaxy of what is left of the forerunner tech and the Didact and has deemed humanity unfit to be granted the job of caretaker but this time the flood has individual entities separate from the collective animal. This time the precursors have returned and want their home back.

What if the flood is the only lifeform in the universe and our galaxy was it's experiment in creating something else other than itself?

How the **** would they return or how would you guys write them back in?

Personally i would just have an ancient derelict forerunner fortress ship or several show up somewhere near an outer colony world close to the rim.

I wouldn't exactly want the Didact to do it, even by accident, as it would seem a bit contrary to his character in general. He's really the only character we've seen so far who has a fanatical devotion to destroying the Flood.  If they do return in Halo 5 (which they should), then I hope the Prometheans would a). form a temporary alliance with humanity or b. be a tertiary force that fights against the Flood in game, but also isn't with humanity (kind of like the 3 way fights between the flood, humanity, and the Covenant in earlier titles.

I agree with you that the Flood should come from some mysterious source this time. I'd rather them not be found on accident like in Combat Evolved. Rather, make it look like they intended to return by coming from an extragalactic source. 

• Like 1

Yep. I had a gripe withe canon on how the flood was first deseminated in ancient times. It would have been better to have it as a mystery from infections on outer rim mining facilities. It would be more believable than frikkin canisters of powder then this powder is fed to our pets? Believable rather than the fantastic in a story.

• Like 1

Great points. It's been wayyyyyy 2 long since we have seen the flood. They are an awesome enemy that in my opinion is way cooler than the covies or the prometheans or any other group and it's been way 2 long since we have had anything 2 do with them. I really hope they do come back in halo 5

Great points. It's been wayyyyyy 2 long since we have seen the flood. They are an awesome enemy that in my opinion is way cooler than the covies or the prometheans or any other group and it's been way 2 long since we have had anything 2 do with them. I really hope they do come back in halo 5

I would love to see something like the flood be able to upscale it's attack methods to grabber tentacles that can drag an ordinary human back towards the flood form but only be able to stop you from moving until you either melee it's arm off or you shoot it inert. This could pose a problem for the boys if 2 or 3 flood tentacle you at once.

I liked how they made the Flood in Halo 3 (Which is probably the only thing I'll praise Halo 3 for). They made them much more developed by adding in the Pure forms. I hope they keep this and possibly add a bit more special mechanics for the Flood like Azeraph mentioned, similar to the special mechanics for the Prometheans. However, they shouldn't be as coordinated and strategic as the Prometheans, and their patterns of chaotic movement should stay.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...