Tougher Vehicles?

Who else thinks that the vehicles in Halo 3 and 4 were to easily blown up.

Don't get me wrong it is cool to blow up a tank with just a DMR, it doesn't make sense that you can do that.

I think power weapons should cause significant damage and small arms fire should do damage, but minimal damage.

Let me know if you agree or disagree.

I don't think it was like this in Halo 3 but it was certainly annoying that people could pepper your with DMR/BR shots in Reach/4 and destroy you within seconds - although in all honesty if your teammates had an ounce of skill and actually shot the dudes looking at the vehicles you'd be fine.

Teamwork is the balancing factor here.

• Like 1

From a lore standpoint it all makes sense since most human weapons have FMJ-AP rounds, but you're right they need some beefin up and they need some better driving mechanics. The Warthog and Mongoose were not only relatively weak but also not very fun or engaging to drive. 

I think the thing with Halo 4 is that they used similar damage tables to Reach because they brought in the whole package system, one of which (Wheelman, I think?) increased a vehicle's hitpoints: if you're using that, vehicles are actually a fair bit tougher, though still not on a par with the older Halos. Plus, to compensate for their weakness vehicles now have much more powerful but inconsistent collision damage, and I'm not a fan of that at all. The DMR could perhaps remain effective against vehicles as it uses a large calibre and gives it a bit of an advantage compared to the Battle Rifle, which is otherwise generally better, but for the most part I agree the rest of the weapons could do with a nerf versus vehicles.

Other thing I'd like is to see the return of separate healthbars for vehicles and their passengers: I'm not a fan of being injured or killed because someone unloads their weapons into my Warthog's front tire. If it hits the player then draining their shields is fine, but otherwise, just damage the vehicle's hull, that's more than enough (and would make the Survivor package a lot more viable).

• Like 2

I think the thing with Halo 4 is that they used similar damage tables to Reach because they brought in the whole package system, one of which (Wheelman, I think?) increased a vehicle's hitpoints: if you're using that, vehicles are actually a fair bit tougher, though still not on a par with the older Halos. Plus, to compensate for their weakness vehicles now have much more powerful but inconsistent collision damage, and I'm not a fan of that at all. The DMR could perhaps remain effective against vehicles as it uses a large calibre and gives it a bit of an advantage compared to the Battle Rifle, which is otherwise generally better, but for the most part I agree the rest of the weapons could do with a nerf versus vehicles.

Other thing I'd like is to see the return of separate healthbars for vehicles and their passengers: I'm not a fan of being injured or killed because someone unloads their weapons into my Warthog's front tire. If it hits the player then draining their shields is fine, but otherwise, just damage the vehicle's hull, that's more than enough (and would make the Survivor package a lot more viable).

I have never understood how I could be in a tank and be killed by small arms fire before the tank explodes

• Like 1

Well I don't think Non power weapons should have much effect on vehicles.

But Power weapons should do much better damage of course some better than others. :)

For example it takes 200 shots from a DRM to blow up a Warthog but 125 from a Shotgun. I know this seems like a lot but really it makes no sense how a BR can take down a warthog singlehanded.  

Of course something like the Sticky detonator should only take 2 shots to take a warthog down. Or even one very lucky shot. but you get the idea.

Well I don't think Non power weapons should have much effect on vehicles.

But Power weapons should do much better damage of course some better than others. :)

For example it takes 200 shots from a DRM to blow up a Warthog but 125 from a Shotgun. I know this seems like a lot but really it makes no sense how a BR can take down a warthog singlehanded.  

Of course something like the Sticky detonator should only take 2 shots to take a warthog down. Or even one very lucky shot. but you get the idea.

I believe it is a DMR   :bananachief:

I would agree that the damage modifiers used in Halo 4 need to be scaled back to ressemble the one in previous Halo's. Reach got it wrong with theirs and completely almost made vehicle usage pointless. They should have damage resistance upped or at the very least have the damage constraints pass the damage off to the player at a higher rate.

Halo 3 got it right. Not only vehicle/player health, but also weapons to counter vehicles (Rockets, Fuel Rod, Spartan Laser, Missile Pod, Turrets, Grenades, and even the Brute Shot had some flipping power over vehicles).

IMO, Pistols, AR's, BR's, DMR's, and Snipers (especially snipers) shouldn't be able to do significant damage to vehicles. Not only do these weapons have ample amounts of ammo, but they are mostly hitscan, meaning there is little to no risk in missing a moving vehicle compared to shooting at it with, say, a rocket launcher. Most of those weapons are also headshot capable, so if anything you should be focused on picking off the driver rather than shredding the entire vehicle to pieces anyways.