Alienware Alpha Launching This Year without SteamOS

The updated Alienware Alpha, a spin-off of the original concept including a Steam Controller and SteamOS, is coming this year bundled with Windows and an Xbox 360 controller!

Earlier last year, Alienware showed off their model of a Steam Machine, giving some details on the specifications and what it could do with SteamOS in it, as well as the Steam controller. When Valve however delayed the Steam Machine to 2015, Alienware began production on a spin-off version, without SteamOS and the controller, and according to Joystiq.com, that version is the Alienware Alpha. The Alpha will contain an Xbox 360 controller bundled, and Windows 8.1 interface. Alienware has said that when the SteamOS and Controller launch, they will be fully compatible with the Alpha, and that SteamOS is fully ready to be installed on Day One on the platform, but we'll have to wait until 2015 to get it. It will launch this holiday for $550 and the SteamOS and Controller will become available at an unannounced date in 2015. It will run any current game on 1080p and 60fps. 

post-26953-0-36262500-1402641968_thumb.png

What do you think of this news? Will you be purchasing the Alpha, or do you fully need the SteamOS before making a transaction? Let me know below, thanks for reading the article!

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure what this is to be honest, is this a steam machine? As in a console created to play PC games? If so, I won't be buying it, PC games are best on the PC, and a PC can be created for cheaper than the Alienware Alpha can be bought. 

Nice find EK 

I'm not exactly sure what this is to be honest, is this a steam machine? As in a console created to play PC games? If so, I won't be buying it, PC games are best on the PC, and a PC can be created for cheaper than the Alienware Alpha can be bought. 

Nice find EK 

It's meant to be a compact PC with a console style. It isn't technically a Steam machine anymore though, as Valve has said that Steam machines are required to have the SteamOS and controller.

I didn't even know what the hell this was until now, infact I'm still not really sure. I don't really care that it doesn't come with the Steam OS though (Which I also didn't know existed.) cause I'm not that much of a PC fan :). Also can someone fill me in on what this product is. I know it's a gaming PC but still :).

It is a PC in the compact style of a console. It is meant to ease the transition to Console to PC gamer

It will run any current game on 1080p and 60fps. 

Hard to believe this is true after seeing the specs. It can most likely run at least all games at "60FPS" but not at max or high settings sadly. That being said it is on Windows 8.1 and not all current games have been properly optimized for that OS. Windows 7 would have been the smarter option on Alienwares part. Also not all games support 1080p resolution. 

Also if any tech guru is curious here are the specs(EK found these as well so all credit to him): http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/10/alienware-alpha-revealed-a-550-steam-machine-available-this-holiday/

Overall this is good value for the price if you want a console like experience with PC games, and if you're not willing to build your own which you should because GSD has a lovely guide on building your own computer which can be found on our very own forum: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/33031-gsds-guide-to-building-a-computer-3/

Problem number one, they are using the mobile GPU model.  You won't be able to upgrade the GPU down the line, and since they have not released the motherboard specs, it's safe to say it's a custom built one just for Alienware.....meaning no MOBO upgrades and your stuck with whatever CPU and memory will be supported.  That really narrows the list in terms of upgrades.  Alienware is nothing more than another Dell and Acer company, marketing products in eye catching cases to the gaming community.  Their products are basic and don't equate to nearly the money you pay for them.

As for the GPU memory...really Alienware?  Your marketing a slim PC for gaming...and you give it 2gig DDR5?  2gig of DDR5 is common place on most GPU's past the 500 series of Nvidia and r9's of ATi.  By the time this thing is available for purchase, the specs will be out of date already.  If I had a giant facepalm emot...I would use it. :facepalm:

• Like 1