What if Chief had to decide between Cortana and the Humans?

sindronian

Okay so here's the scenario.

Somehow the decision is Master Chief's to make and only he can decide the outcome of either:

1. The extermination of the humans and the survival of Cortanna
2. The survival of the humans and the loss of Cortanna

Assuming that Master Chief did not have the ability to communicate to Cortanna with respect to his decison,

What do you think he would choose?

Cortanna is the only thing that gives Chief a little emotion/life but his main purpose is to ensure the survival of humanity.

I'm assuming Chief can't communicate with Cortanna about this because if he could Cortanna would most likely convince Chief to let her die and to save the humans.

So without Cortanna persuading Chief what would he do?

Logically, the right answer is obvious if you assume that the number of lives lost is the most important factor (the humans). However this isn't so much a logical decision but more of a personal one for Chief. So don't think of it in terms of costs vs. benefits think of it in terms of how it would make Chief feel.

• Like 2

I don't think chief would destroy every single human in the galaxy just to save cortana, I don't think chief would have it in him. Destroy the thing he's been fighting to protect or save a single A.I Who he's also been fighting to protect, I think it would destroy chief even more on a personal level knowing he was the one who ended the life of every Man, Woman and child in the galaxy for cortana

I choose this not only using numbers but what it would do to chief knowing he killed everyone he saved before

Kill UNSC / ONI Spartans, Marines, Ships etc while trying to save Cortana? Yes.

• Like 2

I choose this not only using numbers but what it would do to chief knowing he killed everyone he saved before

Hm. I think you are correct but we've just never seen any evidence of Chief expressing compassion or love for the humans. To me it looks like he mostly just takes orders to save the humans.

Has there been any evidence in the Halo games of Master Chief saying he actually wants to save the humans? The people who captured him and turned him into a emotionless war machine for their benefit?

It wouldn't surprise me if Chief has just been taking orders this whole time and the only thing he really values is Cortanna.

I think Chief would realize Cortana, while he is emotionally attached to her, is not human, she's an AI. Master Chief was born to fight and save humanity, not AI, he would never be able to override this pre-existing nature to such a massive extent. Cortana would never be able to accept her existence knowing that her attachment to Chief cost over 7 billion humans their lives. Not only these, but the fact that the aftermath of such a decision would likely drive Master Chief into madness resulting in suicide.

I say with much confidence, Chief would choose all of humanity and lose his companion Cortana

• Like 2

This would be a very intense scenario in the game and would be pretty awesome. But the choice is obvious. Like BZ said above, although he's gained an emotional attachment to Cortana, Chief will choose the human race because ultimately that's the more ethical choice.

John would choose the humans over Cortana. The whole point of the creation of Cortana was to help save the human race from the Covenent, same goes for John going through the process of becoming a Spartan. Both would sacrifice themselves to help keep the human race strong and alive.

I would say humans because that is the thing he has been fighting to protect almost his whole life. Halo 4 can be used as a example he could have just hid in the cargo deck in Infinity. To get back to Earth and "Fix" Cortana. But he choose to go back out and face the Didact whatever the cost. :)

Edited by Caboose the Ace
  • Like 1

This would be a very intense scenario in the game and would be pretty awesome. But the choice is obvious. Like BZ said above, although he's gained an emotional attachment to Cortana, Chief will choose the human race because ultimately that's the more ethical choice.

If 343i ever decided to kill off Cortanna from the series, for whatever reason...I think that would be the way to do it.

Actually Sindronian, Chief did express emotions for his fellow teammates.  While you can argue they are not really human and more machines, it stands as a fact via the Novel cannon, that he was emotionally damaged after losing members of his team.  Although his ties to Cortana are strong and a prime directive of his was to take care of Cortana, his primary mission is the defense of earth, it's colonies and all life contained there-of.

If faced with such a decision, he would make the hard choice and sacrifice Cortana, just as he did when he lead platoons of Spartans.

Actually Sindronian, Chief did express emotions for his fellow teammates.  While you can argue they are not really human and more machines, it stands as a fact via the Novel cannon, that he was emotionally damaged after losing members of his team. 

I wish the canon would not contradict itself. Spartans are not supposed to be emotionally damaged after losing a team member because they would make them peform more poorly in battle. That's why when spartans are created their emotions are destroyed before they can even lose them.

I guess they still have emotions but they're just so supressed that only in the most dire situations they can feel a little bit. Losing a squad mate shouldn't really elecit an emotional response from a spartan. Chief losing Cortanna however, that seems like something worthy of bringing forth supressed emotion.

Well that's the tricky part.  John only seemed the most concerned with Fred and Kelly iirc?  He felt loss for other Spartans that washed out or were lost during battle, but he showed the most emotion when he lost team members he was next to through his whole career.  So I guess, that translates perfectly as to why he and Cortana share such a strong bond.