Halo: Escalation Issue #6- the Spirit of Fire returns! (Halo: Escalation spoilers)

BaconShelf

542CFC02-BEA9-475E-95A2-E1F54F8999B0_zps

Halo: Escalation Issue #6. Woah.

After being tempted with the ship in issue #3, it has took until now for the legendary Ship from Halo Wars, lost in 2531, to reappear in the comics.

For those who haven't caught up with the series, Escalation in an ongoing (planned to be) 12 Part comic series published by Dark Horse Comics (They have an app, if you can't find a physical copy. They also have stuff like Mass Effect and the Halo: Initiation series!) that focus on the events following Halo 4's Spartan Ops mode. The series started with peace talks between the UNSC, Arbiter and Brute Chieftain Lydus. The conference is attacked by a rogue Elite faction, leading to the death of Spartan DeMarco and introduction of a new character, a captain under command of elites. A traitor is revealed as Sgruggs, a Spartan assigned to protect the conference, who taunts Palmer by asking where the Master Chief has been recently. As the Infinity and Spartan-4's manage to divert a new war, Infinity is attacked by a Darter-class freight ship and several Sparrowhawk and Vulture gunships. Aside from these being ancient technology, the ships look brand new and bear the marks of the infamous Spirit of Fire.

It is then revealed a number of things happened at the Battle of Arcadia. Lord Hood once served under Cutter until being assigned his own ship; the Roman Blue. The Blue was assigned to pick up a log beacon dropped by the Spirit at Arcadia, with orders not to engage the Covenant. However, Hood abandoned his mission, attempting to take the fight to the aliens and abandoning his mission, leaving him responsible for the shop's MIA status. To make it better, Hood covertly looked after Cutter's family- sending them money and secretly letting Cutter's son ascend the chain of command to become a captain. After the Infinity is attacked, Lasky and Spartan Ray are sent to meet Petra, one of Lasky's childhood friends and a reporter looking for Master Chief.

Information is found on a Sangheili colony (Oh yeah, we see a drunk elite.) and the identity of the traitor as Cutter's son. The Infinity dispatches Palmer and Majestic Squad into space to the location the Spirit's freighter was deployed (On Booster Frames!) only to find a Covenant supply station. After a short chat, Cutter's Son orders the station to glass infinity, ending Issue #5 with Infinity's seemingly destruction.

Onto #6

After the near-destruction of the Infinity at the hands of an insurrectionist group- The New Colonial Alliance led by Admiral Drake- Majestic manage to stop Infinity being fully destroyed by hijacking and arresting those on the station, Leaving Lord Hood in a wheelchair. On board Infinity, Hood visits the prisoner, who ainply states how the NCA will crush the UNSC and Earth. As the issue ends, we see one final tantalising shot of the Spirit (See above summary) in space. The final page leaves a massive cliffhanger with a **** of the Spirit's cryo bay. A screen with a planet is seen behind the open pods and a flashing sign, shouting ABANDON SHIP. However, the most striking addition in this conclusion is the presence of a lone Flood Infection Form scuttling across the deck, leaving us begging for more as the SoF has Flood on the ship. The final text we see is simply one sentence: 'Next Time: New Phoenix'

2D54168B-EB57-4622-81D6-04A4986E14B8_zps

Where does the series go next? Well, we know that the next story arc Will be 'The Next 72 Hours'- following the Master Chief as he seemingly abandons the crew of the infinity post-Halo 4. For what reason?

The covers of the comics have shown events that happen in the comic such as space battles and the like, and Escalation #8 and #9 show Chief in a ruined city, and the Didact fighting Chief, respectively. The taunt of New Phoenix, and the quarantine being lifted will undoubtedly have some kind of importance to the story, though I believe it is no coincidence that Issue #7- released next month- will have a release date just weeks after E3.

What do you think of the events so far? I believe that the next arc the story will start the bridge between the last and next Halo games, and I look forward to what 343i has to offer next month!

Edited by BaconShelf
  • Like 6

The conference is attacked by a rogue Elite faction, leading to the death of Spartan Thorne...

Spartan DeMarco died. Not Thorne. Thorne is currently in New Alexandria exploring the area after the Quarintine lift.

And I really don't get how most of the people here don't know about Escalation. I knew about it since last December. What gives?

Anyway the story so far is pretty good. Flood returning (which we all KNEW they were still in the Galaxy) is a good thing.

Spartan DeMarco died. Not Thorne. Thorne is currently in New Alexandria exploring the area after the Quarintine lift.

And I really don't get how most of the people here don't know about Escalation. I knew about it since last December. What gives?

Anyway the story so far is pretty good. Flood returning (which we all KNEW they were still in the Galaxy) is a good thing.

Fixed.

Seems like 343i is doing a lot of retconning with the things people didn't like in Halo 4, if that is they are the ones overseeing this series? Flood, Elites, Brutes, and more focus on the UNSC like it used to be. I honestly give them MASSIVE kudos as they are doing a lot to calm the old fans who hated Halo 4 (not saying I did).

Good article my man :D

Flood again? well.... this'll be one heck of a ride if they return in game and notice it's in the ship from that image, proto/gravemind Captain Cutter and crew?

Evidence seems to hint at the crew evacuating to the planet seen in the background. Plus, there is very little Flood biomass or spores, as well as a lack of dead bodies/ blood/ bullet marks. And

Seems like 343i is doing a lot of retconning with the things people didn't like in Halo 4, if that is they are the ones overseeing this series? Flood, Elites, Brutes, and more focus on the UNSC like it used to be. I honestly give them MASSIVE kudos as they are doing a lot to calm the old fans who hated Halo 4 (not saying I did).

Good article my man :D

There is no retconning here.

I really hate this series....

Why ? Because what is going to happen if you have not read them and then go get Halo 5 these comics are crucial parts of Halo 5 lore and should be in the game. :)

Can I have that copy of the Mae you've played? I'd like to play for myself to judge this.

Come on it is a crucial part of Halo lore !

1 Didact return, fighting Chief

2 Sprit of fire coming back

3 Death of Del marco.

4 Arbiter

5 Juns return.

Four big things right there. :)

1) The background art appears to be Mantle's Approach. Chances are, it's a flashback.

2) This is a plot seed for future stories. However, the Spirit will not feature in the next comic, so it is more likely foreshadowing.

3) It is also unlikely that Majestic will feature in H5 with the possible exception of Thorne. Plus, Demarco was a horrible character.

4) Wil likely not feature. His appearance in this series is minimal and isn't too contributors to story.

5) You didn't need Initiation to play Halo 4. Jun was in Initiation.

• 7 months later...

Yes we need flood! they are the primary bad guys and they are a worthy enemy to fight. the whole game is based around them and this shows us some real evidence as there may be flood in halo 5! I really hope there are we need flood so the knights have something else to shot at:)