Skill based ranking system?!

SHEEPDOG231

I'm wanting to see if anyone else feels the same way I do about a skill based ranking system. Don't you actually want to feel like your playing for a reason? If you gain XP for losing a game, where is the competetive edge? My personal opinion is that the Halo2 style ranking system was beautiful! It had ranked playlists for the competetive players and social playlists for the players who wanted to warm up for ranked, or just have fun with their friends. In Halo2 it actualy mattered if you won or lost. Not like the current Halos where if you lose you still level up and gain XP.

In my opinion we need a skill based ranking system for Halo5. I personally would love to see the Halo2 ranking system again, even with the Halo2 levels. This may sound harsh but now a days games are just trying to appease everyone even if you suck you can still be the same level as someone who is 10x better than you. I'm sorry but if you suck, you suck. And you should play with people on your skill level. I want a game where you play with purpose and people actually care to win. You win and your rewarded and if you lose then your pentalized. Let me know what ya'll think. Agree or disagree. Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

More XP for winning a game: Agree.

Penalized for losing: Completely disagree.

Your personal skill is not the only factor that influences whether or not you win a game. The skill of the other players, the extent of cooperation and teamwork, the map itself in some cases (if you are near-invincible with a DMR but can't use a shotgun to save your life, or can rank up a sniper spree no problem but are hopeless at driving a Ghost then your ability to contribute will be influenced by the map setting), and so on all are contributing factors. A team consisting of four decent players would probably win against a team with one MLG-level player and three horrible players, for example.

• Like 2

More XP for winning a game: Agree.

Penalized for losing: Completely disagree.

Your personal skill is not the only factor that influences whether or not you win a game. The skill of the other players, the extent of cooperation and teamwork, the map itself in some cases (if you are near-invincible with a DMR but can't use a shotgun to save your life, or can rank up a sniper spree no problem but are hopeless at driving a Ghost then your ability to contribute will be influenced by the map setting), and so on all are contributing factors. A team consisting of four decent players would probably win against a team with one MLG-level player and three horrible players, for example.

so if your not going to be pentalized for losing, aka losing xp. Then its not competative and there is no reason to actually try if your still gonna level up when you lose. if you get put on a team of 3 random scrubs and you lose then you should be pentalized...1 for losing and 2 for joining a ranked game by yourself. sorry but i respectfully dissagree with your outlook on this topic.

so if your not going to be pentalized for losing, aka losing xp. Then its not competative and there is no reason to actually try if your still gonna level up when you lose. if you get put on a team of 3 random scrubs and you lose then you should be pentalized...1 for losing and 2 for joining a ranked game by yourself. sorry but i respectfully dissagree with your outlook on this topic.

The penalty for losing should be not leveling up, not being demoted. I also don't think a clan mentality should be forced upon everyone. You should be able to join a game by yourself and still have a fair chance of winning. Lastly, I think that in Halo 5, there should be a system similar to SR and CSR, but the CSR should be visible in-game.

• Like 1

The penalty for losing should be not leveling up, not being demoted. I also don't think a clan mentality should be forced upon everyone. You should be able to join a game by yourself and still have a fair chance of winning. Lastly, I think that in Halo 5, there should be a system similar to SR and CSR, but the CSR should be visible in-game.

well i disagree, but im not going to go back and forth on it. i respect your opinion but were just not gonna agree lol. thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think games these days are getting too easy to rank up.

So I agree and disagree. You need to get wins to rank up but what if you have the game of your life but the rest of your team sucks. You shouldn't be demoted because of that.

There has to be a balance.  NHL using a system of ranking which has parts to it in one of their game modes. You have to attain a certain amount of points and a certain amount of wins to rank up. All the points you earn though accrue. 

For example...you need to get 1500 points and 5 wins to rank up to level 2, and then 3000 points and 10 wins to rank up to level 3.

So if you reach lets say 3000 points with only 4 wins because you just cant break that barrier you're stuck at level 1 until you get that win. But once you get that win, now you already have the necessary accrued points (3000) for the next level. You just need to get to 10 wins.

You never technically get demoted. But it makes it a heck of a lot more competitive to rank up, making team work a whole lot more important.

Love to hear some comments or confusion!!!

For games like FFA or Oddball, it can be harder to win.

BTB, Team slayer, team swat, etc are easier to win

because if one guy sucks, another really good guy on

the team can carry him. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be

based on wins or losses, but rather how many kills and

deaths you had. How many times you benefitted the team.

Or for FFA how close you came to first. If you had one less

kill than first place, I think you should still get rewarded

for that!

• Like 1

For games like FFA or Oddball, it can be harder to win.

BTB, Team slayer, team swat, etc are easier to win

because if one guy sucks, another really good guy on

the team can carry him. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be

based on wins or losses, but rather how many kills and

deaths you had. How many times you benefitted the team.

Or for FFA how close you came to first. If you had one less

kill than first place, I think you should still get rewarded

for that!

Yes but then eventually you're going to rank up anyway. you just have to play a lot. if points is all that matters than you just have to play a lot regardless of how good you are. 

Like I said before I think winning shouldn't be the only thing, but there has to be a balance.

I hated how in Halo 3, only the winning team got any experience. I'm not saying the losing team should get the same as the winning team however. If, for instance, in Halo 3 you win a game, so you get 3 points towards your next rank. If you lose, you only get 1. Getting nothing makes the game you just played feel like an absolute waste of time. I mean give the losers SOME leverage. Jeez... Whew, that brought back memories of rage days in Halo 3.

Just make the reward for winning valuable enough players will go for it, and the penalty for losing decent. Neither the reward or penalty should be overwhelming. 

even with a skill system like Halo 2 or 3, playing your brains out can increase your levwl.as well.  The more you play the better orbworse you get, and you increase your chances of getting paired with people in your skill bracket whom you might be lwvwls above in terms of play style.  Maps and weapon starts also effect ones chance of winning a match as well.  not everyone is 100% bkiller on all maps.  their will.always be certain ones you excel in.

I'm curious as to how a skill based system would work considering it is 2015. I can't recall a mainstream game that has had a skill based system since Halo 3. Wonder how it would be received.

Anyways I think there should be a skill system, but more to it than just winning and losing. There are times in Halo 4 where I had been with a team that was just garbage and I would often do better than most on the enemy team. I think it should be possible for a 'loser' to still gain skill points. Maybe you are so good that you get +3 units of points after a game but the loss gives you -1 unit of points. But some guy on the winning team killed himself a couple times and just sucked overall, so he gets +1 from the win but -1 from sucking.

I just think there should be more variables to skill instead of winning or losing.

• 9 months later...

I think that the halo 2 ranking system was the best.

If you won a match, you and your team all gain exp, but if you come in 1st, you get more exp than coming in 2nd, and 2nd gets more than 3rd and 3rd more than 4th etc.

When you are on the losing team, if you come in 8th you lose more exp than the person in 7th, and the person in 6th and 5th.

The only thing I think should be changed is that your stats should come into play in addition to whether you are on the losing or winning team.

For example, If your team loses and you come in 5th place with: 20 kills, 10 assists and 10 deaths, but the person in 4th place on the winning team had: 12 kills, 10, assists and 12 deaths, then and only then do you (being in 5th place) get just as much exp as the person who came in 4th on the winning team.  I think the same should occur with coming in 6th 7th and 8th.

If you are on the losing team and do worse than the person in 4th on the winning team, then you go down, and the worse you do, the more you go down, it's as simple as that.

Most likely if you are on the losing team, your individual stats will not surpass anyone on the winning team, but if they do, you should not be penalized as much.  But being on the losing team, no matter how well your stats are, you will not gain any exp more than the person in 4th on the winning team.  This would create the incentive to win and have the best stats, instead of one or the other.  When games come down to the wire and end 50-49, the losing team shouldn't be penalized that much.  When games end 50- 31 or so, it is highly unlikely that anyone other than the person in 5th did well on the losing team.

What do you all think?

• Like 1

I think it should be like this. If you get a lot of kills/assists and win the game, then you get a lot of xp. If you win a game but you hardly did anything then you get less xp. If you lost the game but got a lot of kills then you get quite a bit of xp. If you lose and hardly got any kills or assists then you get little or no xp. I think the ranking system should be something like this.

Is this sarcasm or just trolling? Halo 1 didn't have a ranking system, it was not available on Xbox Live.

I used to play it on XBConnect, but still no ranking system.

HPC, dude.

And it's not sarcasm, I loved playing without some arbitrarily demeaning ranking system based on "skill;" Let the scoreboard do the talking, not some number by your name.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the single most important thing for Halo 5 as an online shooter. Its what was so captivating to the halo 2 audience and what really set halo 2 apart from all of the other halos in terms of competitive play. If the ranking system isnt up to par with the gameplay itself rewarding skilled and unskilled players alike many halo heads are going to quickly lose interest in this game.

There needs to be an incentive for people to finish game all the way through. I'm sick and tired of playing big team battle games only to have 4+ people quit and earn an almost guaranteed loss. Not having a system of incentive hurts the overall experience. Been playing halo since the release of halo 2 and nothing has really compared since. If they want to keep up with the call of dutys and battlefields of the world they need to strengthen this aspect of the game for sure.

There needs to be an incentive for people to finish game all the way through. I'm sick and tired of playing big team battle games only to have 4+ people quit and earn an almost guaranteed loss. Not having a system of incentive hurts the overall experience. Been playing halo since the release of halo 2 and nothing has really compared since. If they want to keep up with the call of dutys and battlefields of the world they need to strengthen this aspect of the game for sure.

Or you know. Play the game for fun and not care about a skill ranking system. :3