Hopes and Dreams for HALO 5

Good afternoon, or whatever time of day you may find yourself reading, community.

I am a new user here, and have only just joined after finally coming from the Bungie forums.

On to the topic,

HALO 5 is coming in 2015, and HALO 6 was confirmed when HALO 4 was revieled as the beginning of a new trilogy, so,

with the upcoming two games to be one a brand new, very powerful system, I want to discuss certain desires and additions to, namely, FORGE, and tweaks to help remind the world that HALO is king when it comes to Machinima making. (on console, anyways....) , while also incorporating methods from other titles to make an even more exciting experience.

I want to start with what initially piqued my hopes, a quote about another XBOX ONE title, ARKHAM KNIGHT.

"there are some insanely high polygon counts (one character model has the same as the Arkham Asylum environments)"

While I know polygon count is not everything, it DOES leave me to wonder at possibilities. Apologies, but, prepare for a list, and a wall of text.

FORGE

1. TEXTURES : FORGE already allows you to change the color of an object, via, well, ITEM COLOR. Adding another category in that same option grid, TEXTURE, would it be possible to change the look of the item from the same tired Forerunner piece to say, on a ramp, for example; WOOD , STONE SLAB (one big piece of stone) , STONE BRICKS (stone bricks stacked and shaped), PLASTER (solid plain wall), WOOD PANEL (panels of wood) STEEL PANEL (panels of steel), and such, to help really give each map it's own feel?
  2. Updated Magnets : The magnet system in HALO 4 is a great addition, and can allow for brainstorming in amazing speed, but, it can be imprecise at times. So, why not modify the simple toggle of MAGNETS from on and off, to something more....utilitarian? My suggestion, MAGNET STRENGTH, with settings of NONE, showing no magnets in place, to BASIC, showing the HALO 4 Magnet grid, followed by POINT, where any hard edge point (sharp corners and the like) hold the Magnet points, and ending with FULL, where every edge of an item is covered in individual magnet points, allowing the user to place the items for certainty by "climbing" the magnet points until they reached the desired point. (this will be useful later, as well.)
  3. ITEM STATES : This is another aesthetic option for items, that would allow one to show FORGE pieces in damaged states, (think of Sword Base from Halo REACH BETA to Sword Base release), and in the same option grid as COLOR and TEXTURE, show options as "Clean", (no damage) "Scorch" (flame residue) "Bullet" (bullet holes) or other options and combinations. This could also be treated how the "Jersey Barrier" items can take damage and degrade, and show in gameplay.

GAMEPLAY

1. MOVEMENT : Halo's movement is great as is, but there's one game that gets me more involved through it's movement system, that's easily translated to HALO with no change of controls needed.... the Battlefield series. Slides and vaults and ladder climbing all bring me into the game and make for even more adrenaline moments, all which could be recorded easily with the XBOX ONE. These movements can be added with no trouble, and no changes to controls, really. SPRINTING is now a constant on Halo's control scheme, so, CROUCH from a SPRINT could make one slide into the crouch, yes? Possibly even prone. (not sure on that one, but, HOLDing CROUCH could function to make one prone, I suppose, and either JUMP, SPRINT, or CROUCH could rise your Spartan). As for Vaulting, (mantling, climbling, what have you), why not just HOLD JUMP towards an appropiate edge to have your Spartan (a SUPER. SOLDIER, mind you) just lift himself over that edge? Finally, ladders. May sound pointless, but it would be a simple addition that could allow map makers and machinima makers more leeway with layouts and rooms. How to make a ladder work in HALO 5 or 6? No, not the "Floating Walk" of Halo 1. "HOLD X TO USE" or whatever your Vehicle entry system is. Spartan's need not be defenseless during this, either, with full head tilt allowed, and a forced pistol, for defense or offence. Ladders could also be assembled in pieces from FORGE, with Magnet systems, with certain items having an option grid of whether or not they are a LADDER item in game. From RAINBOW SIX (mentioned shortly after this) we could also take WALL LEAN and COVER systems. Again, not much needs changed. Approach a wall, look at it , and click in your scope, to take COVER against it. LEANS and BLIND FIRE are easy additions from that simple addition. This may cause issues when strafing an entry way, but, if it snaps you into cover, it's not like it's causing you harm.
  2. CUSTOMIZATION : Another title that is a great FPS, that offers customization of ones armor, even their face, and adds tactical combat to the basic "SHOOT GUN RESPAWN" recipe, is the RAINBOW SIX titles (well, the VEGAS ones, anyways). If next gen consoles are as powerful as reputed, then, it should be able to handle sixteen players a match who may, if desired, have used the KINECT to scan in their face, as RAINBOW SIX did with the XBOX LIVE VISION camera, onto their Spartan's, and with a simple "X TO TOGGLE" when customizing their HELMET's, have gone into battle without one. "But what about all the vaccum enviroments that you come across?" Force helmets on those maps, which is why it's a TOGGLE, and not selection in the HELMET menu, so they still are showing a helmet they like. Go a step further, like RAINBOW SIX did, and have mouth movement during speech through the headset. Small impact on gameplay, GREAT impact on immersion and Machinima purposes.
  3. STANCES : Halo 4 implemented the STANCE cards, to show your Spartan in the player lobby, and while great, I feel an oppurtunity was missed, as Halo 4 also brought Weapon Commendations into the HALO game series. So, why not, if I've "Mastered" a weapon's commendations, give me two or three STANCE cards featuring that weapon, letting me show a little more of my preferences and style in the lobby?
  4. ARMOR / WEAPON SCHEMES : What I mean here, is, for more variety and showcasing, why not have certain armor chest pieces apply a skin to certain weapons? For instance, a Knight armor chest might change the energy sword to a broad sword, complete with new sheath, and the Hardlight Shield to a tower shield, while the Gravity Hammer into a greatsword. (for fun, let's through the FLAG graphic on the back for a cape), or, bring back the Katana armor, which would not only change your energy sword to a katana, but also change the look of your knife in assassinations, to a tanto or kunai? A BRUTE armor chest (perhaps a Brute Chieftain's armor) could change the gravity hammer into a large club. These would NOT effect gameplay, as they are only skins, after all.

I'm out of time, so I can't go into detail of a proposed new gametype, a mix of FORGE and THEATRE, which would be for Machinima makers, turning the SCOREBOARD into an EMOTE selection, ranging from holstered weapons to waving, sitting, or more, but, what I have listed, I hope will cause other's to share their own thoughts and hopes, and maybe some opinions of my own. These are all changes that would not alter gameplay too far, while opening the game to even more potential directors and architects. So, discuss, and apologies for the wall of text.

• Like 4

What I want for multiplayer is:

1. Removal of class system.
  2. Improved ordnance system, no personal ordnances.
  3. more Non-ordnance initial weapon spawns i.e. power weapons
  4. Either keep sprint or increase player movement speed
  5. Dual weilding
  6. Bumper Jumper
  7. Map pickup armor abilities
  8. CUSTOMIZATIONSSSSSSSSSSS x a million
  • Reach based non competitive ranks with credit system.
  • Weapon skin options even if there is no custom classes. (I picture a cool animation each time you pick up a weapon in multiplayer of the pattern spreading over the weapon)
  • Armor effects
  • bunches of other stuff

What I want for multiplayer is:

1. Removal of class system.
  2. Improved ordnance system, no personal ordnances.
  3. more Non-ordnance initial weapon spawns i.e. power weapons
  4. Bumper Jumper
  5. Map pickup armor abilities

1. Class system lolwhat

2. You can turn off personal ordinance with ingame settings and a lot of gamemodes have already done this. 

3. Now thats just unbalanced. You want MORE power weapons???

4. Bumper Jumper is already in the game I play it all the time

5. Some gamemodes already have this feature. I know Team Throwdown used to have that. 

My wish is that people making wishes, actually wish for something possible within engine limitations, and things that actually make sense. Seriously.... I think my IQ just went down 300 points after reading half of this ****. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I love the idea of more movement options. I wouldn't include vault, just because I like the way Halo's jumping works the way it is now. But I would love to have Dolphin Diving ability in Halo 5. It could even be a perk, because I absolutely LOVE Dolphin Diving! I think ladders would be a fun addition to Halo, especially for forgers.

Customization that doesn't leave the game unbalanced gets no complaints from me.

I agree 100% with this point, not one stance has a Battle Rifle in it! :cry: I think a stance should be earned for each of the last three commendation tiers for each weapon.

I wouldn't have a problem with this seeing as it would make it feel as though certain types of Spartans actually differed from one another. My only problem with this would be if it affected gameplay in anyway. Armor should have no effect on the outcome of a match.

• Like 1

1. Class system lolwhat

2. You can turn off personal ordinance with ingame settings and a lot of gamemodes have already done this. 

3. Now thats just unbalanced. You want MORE power weapons???

4. Bumper Jumper is already in the game I play it all the time

5. Some gamemodes already have this feature. I know Team Throwdown used to have that. 

Clarification 

Number one, sorry I meant loadouts

Number two, I want it off in general or at least refined to where the different possible ordnances are more balanced.

Number three, same amount but I want more of them to not be ordnanced in at the beginning with an icon showing where they are.

Number four, I just was hoping it stays.

Number five, I want it to be in all game modes, this goes along with removal of loadouts.

1: Remove multiplayer completely. Be single player only.

2: No Flood.

And yes I am serious.

Then you're asking for another game entirely my friend.

You're asking for Halo 3 ODST

• Like 1

Beckoning Zebra, to clarify, any "skinned" items caused from an armor choice would still have the same properties as the original item, just a different appearance.

TheSpartan274, I actually love the idea of the weapon skin applying as you pick it up, would look VERY cool for the melee weapons, though, not sure how well or easily that could be accomplished.

TwinReaper, well, you're welcome.

As for Halo 3 ODST, while that is my favorite HALO, and my second favorite campaign, (topped only by HALO INFINITY ((Spartan Ops))), well....I like multiplayer.

Applying a weapon skin to a pickup weapon should in theory be easy to do.  It should simply consist of a script, checking the weapon state on pickup, checking the player at the same time, and calling for the skinned version of that weapons model to be displayed.  Again in theory, it sounds easy, but scripting is my least favorite area of the Halo engine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I PRAY that 343 includes a skill based ranking system. This was truly what made Halo, Halo. Gameplay is fun and all but at the end of the day there's really no other place where we can see a million people all playing the same thing just to be able to say they're more skilled and have a higher digital number than other people.

That, in itself, would be enough incentive for me to play tons and tons and tons of Halo.

this is my idea for halo 5 add firefight back and have prometheans  and you can change who comes in the waves like in halo reach and how meany waves  maybe add a team  wave that you can edit  add elite armour that you can use and you can edit it like spartan armour like having a minor chest armour and major arms etc and add arbiter armour

I want a map status page that updates you on: lighting budgets, the lighting cost for a piece, and frame rate detection for forge mode. Then I want a similar page in customs for internet (host, etc). Magnet need increased sensitivity for its own object type, and your utilitarian scroll bar sounds fine. Magnets need to span over to ramps and some decorative items. Textures, yes. More interaction with community forgers in MM. This means that they should add a 343 upload area that also weeds out the crap maps (Veto system for uploaded maps), and no spamming or repeats of the same map (The question is how?)

Edit coordinates needs to work in closer margins of movements(precision), and fine editing should return.

As for any other changes-- I don't know the graphic fidelity of the XB1.

• Like 1

The only thing I ask for is better armor. I know

some of you have probably heard me ranting

about how much I hate Halo 4 armor compared

to Reach armor, but I only rant about it so much

because I feel so strongly about it!!!! Seriously

I don't care about anything else, the game is fine

and I'm not picky about loadouts, graphics, guns,

or what have you. I just want old armor back :)

• Like 1

I have many a thing I want for Halo 5, firstly Forge: I want to be able to have a higher budget and to be able to spawn in all vehicles off of the Halo franchise, considering it's more than possible with the power of next-gen :). Easter eggs: I thought that Halo 4 had a HUGE lack of easter eggs and the easter eggs it did have weren't good enough in my opinion, apart from the RvB ones obviously :). Weapons: I don't know why I just want all of the old school weapons back, I just thought they were great :). Infection: Now Infection as my favourite game type of all time off of any game must be just infection not 'Flood'. I just couldn't enjoy it as much when there were Flood running around everywhere just because of this noise whenever I was killed "Eeeeeurguhuhuhuhu!". And lastly (this isn't my whole wishlist but for me these are the biggest things :) ) The Campaign: The Halo franchise has always been known for its brilliant, gripping and emotional storyline, Halo 4 however.....not so much, that games campaign was known for being boring, generic and repetitive. I reeeeeally hope that 343 don't screw up on the campaign this time and make the same mistakes :).

EDIT: Oh yeah I also want the proper ranks back as well haha :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Remove Grenades entirely, all of them. I've been killed by unskilled players with grenades to many times in all halo games I have played since halo 3. They're impossible to avoid once thrown at, as the blast radius is to large for anyone to escape. They can be easily picked up with the new perks, allowing an essentially infinite use of grenades. They outpower BR's, DMR's, Carbines, and Light Rifles and allow people who's aiming is mediocre at best to get kills without a hint of effort.

2. Remove Rocket Launcher. Unavoidable, overpowered, and with far to much ammo. Plus they can be found on every map in the series. Which makes it impossible to counter or not fear.

3. Really no cover system, crouch is all you need. The last thing we need is this series becoming even more of generic FPS.

4. If you add the Light Rifle again, make it useful. As it fires to slow to keep up with the DMR and BR.

5. Add a UNSC flying vehicle. The Hornet and Falcon balanced out aerial battles, as a counter or rival to Banshee. Without them Banshees have a massive advantage over people fighting on the Ground.

6. A more memorable campaign. Most of it was either on a forerunner ship, and one in a forest and desert, and only for a remote period of time. Halo 3 had a Jungle, hydroelectric plant, UNSC base, African plain with a highway, a Traxus industrial complex, crashed flood structure, a massive desert area with structures inbetween, a grassy area (the covenant), alpines (the covenant) with a citadel enclosed in it, a flood infested High Charity, and another snowy area with a Warthog run at the end. This kind of variety made the previous campaigns enjoyable.

7. Larger variety of Enemies. This speaks for itself. Even with Prometheans the roster was still lacking compared to previous games.

8. Let us find the skulls, rather than getting them off the bat. It allowed for great co-operation and thinking to get the skulls, as well as a sense of achievement.

9. Increase the skill gap, make it take more skill to get kills simply.

I don't want all of these, but some of them would greatly enhance the game. Now go on complain to me about grenades and RL's

I wish they would make a port of Halo 5 for the PC, because I don't have an Xbox One nor do I plan on buying one in the near future. I makes me sad that after Playing Halo 3, 4 and Reach on Xbox 360, I'm going to have to miss out on Halo 5 (and The Master Chief Collection too). 

Other than that, I would like a more Bungie feel to the multiplayer and to have more cooler maps, and for the love of GOD, 

FIX FORGE!

The start of the campaign should have no story, nothing but you the character dropped from a low fly by straight into a firefight. Literally the first screen should be you being pushed out and the ground coming up fast to meet you, blaster shots whanging by and your gun comes up and your off. So you die from the disorientation of the start but only to find when the screen of your respawn doesn't drop you in the same place as the first did.

Little kids will love it and us big kids will moan but who's to say it's not a first? every time you die you end up never in the same place twice in an hour.

^

Can you expand on this idea?

It has really got me interested. :)

Are you referring to me?

If not that's ok but i will expand on the idea or add more detail.

Screen goes black from the game intro and fades in with you at the back of a pelican or whatever, a pelican would be better. you have your gun and then the pilot literally says a second after you gain control of the character " Green light, Go,Go Go! " And you're pushed out 30 meters above the ground, the pelican in a low fast fly by as it's taking fire. There be won't no time to get your bearings as the ground comes up at that speed in under a second but there's enough time to learn from successive play throughs to perform a brace move. The first time should wipe out half your shields when you hit and if you don't get the brace move in time you hit with a roll and a slide but come up on your knees gun up with either plasma or bullets pinging off your shields. Some cover for the very first time will be available but the next time it's where ever the engine puts you.

Wouldn't that **** you off if you didn't know that this was going to happen, wouldn't it get your blood racing as you a player from previous halo's was expecting a story but instead was thrown straight into a fight with no intel and could not get a handle on any pattern as the game keeps throwing you in different places from the first intro?

No story, No long play through and then you get control of the character. The minute the game fades in you get head and gun movement but then you're pushed out.

Feel free to change it if you see it could be done better.