Lose the Boltshot, Add Real Forerunner Weapons

The Boltshot was a little piece of ****. Overpowered, but underpowered. Lose it. Make something worthy of calling a pistol. Make the Storm Rifle an LMG and add in a Forerunner LMG, like the SAW. We should also be able to switch our Forerunner weapons color between orange and blue. The LightRifle was a cheap BR ripoff, make it a burst beam weapon. Lose the Incineration Cannons mortar.

The Boltshot was a little piece of ****. Overpowered, but underpowered. Lose it. Make something worthy of calling a pistol. Make the Storm Rifle an LMG and add in a Forerunner LMG, like the SAW. We should also be able to switch our Forerunner weapons color between orange and blue. The LightRifle was a cheap BR ripoff, make it a burst beam weapon. Lose the Incineration Cannons mortar.

1 You describe the Boltshot as being overpowered and underpowered... that is not possible it is none of those or one or the other.:)

2 The Suppressor is a light machine gun!

3 I don't see why we should not be able to do that so why not ?

4 I admit Halo 4 had way to many guns The BR , DMR , Carbine and lightrifle I think that was too much, but the difference between the lightrifle and BR is that the Lightrifle is more of a sniper and the BR is not

5 Yes I agree the Incineration cannon was OP!

• Like 1

To be honest, the boltshot was only bad because it was a starting weapon. It was the equivalent of spawning with the mauler in halo 3. I think they can keep it, given that it is not a starting weapon and rather a power weapon (which it is). As for the light rifle, I think it was an okay gun, but after the update became useless. They need to work on balance alot better in Halo 5 ( which I'm sure they will do so). I'm erudite with regards to competitive halo play, and I believe that the weapons can work so long as they're balanced. 

You need to know how to use the Boltshot properly. 

• Like 1

So what exactly is an actual Forerunner weapon since apparently the Forerunner weapons that were designed by the people developing the series aren't "real" Forerunner weapons?

I think it's sort of implied (and I wish I could remember which book it is) that the weapons we see in Halo 4 are branch-specific Promethean weapons rather than 'standard' Forerunner weaponry, just like the Plasma Repeater and DMR in Reach. They might be very similar to 'standard' Forerunner weapons, but they aren't quite the same thing. I'll try and remember to update this if I ever re-read which books that's said in.

Anyway, post-update the Boltshot is a perfectly balanced weapon. The only real problem it ever had was the kill range, which was definitely too far, but now it's not guaranteed to be lethal unless it's fired at almost point-blank range. Combined with the long cooldown time after each shot, the loud charging noise and short charge time before it, and the fact that it can only carry a maximum of two shots per magazine, it does actually require a bit of skill to use now, and if whoever's using it mucks it up the first time they've basically guaranteed to die - and when you consider that the Magnum has one of the fastest kill-times in the game, it's not really that much of a problem.

If you're struggling, try carrying an automatic weapon, which are very effective against Boltshot users, or by just fighting them at medium or long range. Alternatively, if you're having problems with campers, try using Promethean Vision to spot them, Hologram to draw them out of suspected camping spots, or using the Grenadier/Resupply perks to check suspicious locations by looking for hitmarkers. Sure, the Boltshot is a great weapon in the right hands, but since the weapon update its kill range is so much lower and other weapons kill so much faster that there's no reason anyone can't counter it with a bit of practice.

• Like 1

I hate all the Forerunner weapons in H4, I didn't think they were necessary.

They were necessary- I don't understand how Prometheans would be viable enemies, otherwise.

OT- BS (hue) should have been a primary and had slightly more range- like how TitanFall did the Smart Pistol.

Either read the books or watch Halo Origins and the Halo 4 terminals and you will see that Halo 4's guns were not very accurate representation of forerunner weapons

Promethean didn't use normal forerunner weapons. They used Promethean weapons which they are explicitly stated to be and we're specifically designed to fight flood. Because they are not the familiar version of forerunner weaponry in no way makes them fake. Edited by WonderWombat

I personally, and other agree with me, that the Boltshot isnt a very satisfactory weapon in Halo 4. I have that with most things from the game, the sounds are just, weird. Firing it doesnt make me feel as powerful as  its should. It feels overpowered because of the altfire mode. The supressor is NOT an LMG it is either an AR or SMG, but DEFINITELY NOT an LMG. The idea of hardlight particles isnt a bad idea for weaponry, but it shouldnt be used in ALL weapons. The Incineration cannon needs to be a beam weapon, like those of turrets. The Sentinels' weapon(from Halo 3 should count as a pistol or SMG, and be an addition to the Boltshot(if you really like it that much). Overall, the sound was just bad. That was the major disappointment. That, and the lack of forge decorative items.

What's the big deal with the boltshot?

It's not like every time you meet an enemy close quarters you have to worry about getting your face blown off with comparable force to a shotgun!

Oh wait....that DOES happen!

Jimmy: "Really Dad, every time?"

Jimmy's Dad: "Oh yes son, every damn time."

*sigh*

Halo 4 Terminals show Forerunners using weapons like the Light and Binary rifles.

And I laugh at how you bade your assumptions off Origins, which is confirmed to be speculation by Cortana, and in no way an accurate representation of the Forerunners and the books, which can be interpreted in different ways.

Plus, for a civilisation as vast as the Forerunners, it isn't difficult to assume that had thousands of weapons. Look at the various types of rifle (etc) we have now. That can easily be multiplied one hundred-food for a stellar empire which is known to have inhabited two galaxies.

• 4 weeks later...

The slight OPness of the BoltShot is canceled out by it's incredibly short range. While it can be used single shot for longer range, it's really only effective for that against Crawlers or maybe Grunts.

I do miss the Sentinel Beam. Although it was mostly useful against the Flood, so if they don't come back.....*shrug* 

The only reason I didn't like the Promethean Weapons was because they were designed to fight Flood, and Flood only. Yeah, sure there's an awesome disintegration effect, but they should have made weapons designed to kill other life forms too. Like weapons they had back in the Human-Forerunner War. 

I miss my Brute weapons... A lot. :(

Suppressor = Spiker

Boltshot = Mauler (except with headshot capability.)

Spiker was always my favorite Halo weapon. Probably because Dual Wielded it would tear you to shreds.

Anyway, The boltshot should be an on map weapon. Not because I hate this gun, but because at the end of the day, it still is a one hit kill weapon. You should never be able to spawn with something that can KO just like that, even if it's range has been nerfed. If it comes back in the next Halo, turn the gun back to the original (Before Title Update) boltshot, put it somewhere on the map, and Voila, You have the Mauler again with a very rarely used function of headshotting. 

I miss my Brute weapons... A lot. :(

Suppressor = Spiker

Boltshot = Mauler (except with headshot capability.)

Spiker was always my favorite Halo weapon. Probably because Dual Wielded it would tear you to shreds.

Anyway, The boltshot should be an on map weapon. Not because I hate this gun, but because at the end of the day, it still is a one hit kill weapon. You should never be able to spawn with something that can KO just like that, even if it's range has been nerfed. If it comes back in the next Halo, turn the gun back to the original (Before Title Update) boltshot, put it somewhere on the map, and Voila, You have the Mauler again with a very rarely used function of headshotting. 

You realize that solution wont stop half the community from bitching about it right?

The only reason I didn't like the Promethean Weapons was because they were designed to fight Flood, and Flood only. Yeah, sure there's an awesome disintegration effect, but they should have made weapons designed to kill other life forms too. Like weapons they had back in the Human-Forerunner War.

Well during the Human, Forerunner war weapons like Light rifles or Scattershot were used despite the Forerunners not knowing of the Flood.

It is quite possible the Forerunners reached the highest technology level they could achieve.

Although how these are the same damage as to bullets is.... interesting. :)

My guess is for balance reasons and in real Halo lore Chief would die with one shot from a Light rifle

See here is my issue, these so called "Promethean weapons" are still Forerunner weapons. The Prometheans are just a branch of the Forerunners.

Think of it like our modern militaries. In the US we have the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force. Each one uses human designed weapons, but not all use the same issued weapon. Navy SEALS don't use the same weapons as regular Navy. Your basic Marine infantry isn't issued the same stuff as Force Recon... so on and so on.

They are all "human" weapons but are issued differently. Same idea can be applied to the Forerunners. We haven't seen their entire arsenal (nor have we seen all of the UNSC and Covenant arsenals). The Promethean weapons we have seen (probably just a very very small sample) are just a tiny part of over all Forerunner weaponry.

Is this a difficult concept to grasp?

I agree, the boltshot's semi-auto mode cant even kill on its own. Major flaw right there. The fact that we can spawn with it is its biggest issue, and if it were to spawn on the map, then it could be treated like a mid-tier power weapon instead of an OP spawn weapon.

Also, having both the boltshot and scattershot as forerunner shotguns is pretty redundant, and in the end I would rather they pick one to keep and scrap the other and bring in something better, like the sentinel beam. That thing was powerful on both shields and health in Halo 2 and 3, and I could see it being an awesome and deadly power weapon in MM.

I agree, the boltshot's semi-auto mode cant even kill on its own.

It depends on the player and regardless it is still useful. :)

For example I charge the Boltshot up and aim at a player and fire.

He jumps backwards and receives half the damage of a normal charge.

I then fire the Boltshot and break though his shields and armour and winning the encounter.

Anyway if the Boltshot was more powerful ( single shot wise ) it would be almost like the Magnum and become OP due to it really being better than the Pistol.

The Boltshot is really a mixed bag and maybe just should be left out of H5G after all.