is the silver spartan hunting john?

So theres the cheif and a random spartan on the title reavel image. It made me think, in the trailer cheif has that cloke and was hiding from somthing could this spartan be an assassin sent to kill or capture him? Or maybe dr. Halsey stole the suit after spartan ops, got a robot arm and genetic enhancements and is out to find him.

Though its possible that Chief could have gone rogue and ONI sent this spartan after him, I feel that it's more likely to think that this spartan is a protagonist that will aid the Chief throughout Halo 5. 

Or even replace Master Chief has hummanitys greatest hero. (From the PR side)

I hope he is hunting John, the game really needs a 'strong willed' antagonist. By that I mean some one who is actively trying to hurt Master Chief opposed to the Prophets who just ran around for the Great Journey or the Didact who was so determined to destroy humanity he just ignored him.

The last thing that is needed is some other super talented soldier that only does good. They are finally making Chief flawed; I hope they don't ruin that by just replacing him with some faceless dude.

Edited by WonderWombat

My guess is that he is hunting John because most speculation I have heard is that John has gone rogue and is hiding and it isn't out of the ordinary to have Spartans hunt down high value targets much like in Spartan Ops

So theres the cheif and a random spartan on the title reavel image. It made me think, in the trailer cheif has that cloke and was hiding from somthing could this spartan be an assassin sent to kill or capture him? Or maybe dr. Halsey stole the suit after spartan ops, got a robot arm and genetic enhancements and is out to find him.

no that top spartan is not Halsey because she is far too old, the storm covenant don't have the resources to do that, she never stole any armor as it is far to heavy for her to carry, she believes Spartans must be genetically perfect and raised to fight at an early age. Plus it has already confirmed that the new spartan is male.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the chief went rogue and suddenly earth is in trouble, the didact still lives and only the chief can stop it. So Agent Locke is on a mission to find what is basically the savior of humanity.

Couldn't agree with you more. Chief has always been humanity's savior. There were other spartans before Chief and they died so what's to say Locke is better than Chief and is hunting him. No. I think Locke is the best spartan ONI has, so maybe they sent him on a journey to find Chief and bring him back to save humanity yet again. Along the way he runs into Arbiter who wants Chief back just as much and that's where the trailer at E3 comes into play.

Here's a theory:

Chief is being hunted to be KILLED by Locke. Thel' Vadam is looking for the Chief also but the Spartan has lied to Thel ensuring Chief's safety upon locating him.Thel does not "Trust" Locke because of ONI. I'm telling you ONI NEVER has good intentions. However, by the time they find Chief, Locke realizes that there is a greater threat (Didact, Flood) that Chief must be kept alive to fight, forcing a team of three with the Arbiter, John-117, and Marlowe Locke joining forces to defeat said problem.

• Like 1

Here's a theory:

Chief is being hunted to be KILLED by Locke. Thel' Vadam is looking for the Chief also but the Spartan has lied to Thel ensuring Chief's safety upon locating him.Thel does not "Trust" Locke because of ONI. I'm telling you ONI NEVER has good intentions. However, by the time they find Chief, Locke realizes that there is a greater threat (Didact, Flood) that Chief must be kept alive to fight, forcing a team of three with the Arbiter, John-117, and Marlowe Locke joining forces to defeat said problem.

I never thought about it being a plot twist that way. Definitely a good call

Here's a theory:

I won't see them trying to kill him.

I hope everyone remembers that he has been fast forwarded to a higher form of evolution, to stop the Didact.

He is the result of a thousand lifetimes of planning.

And do not forget Paul Lasky who supported chief in the beginning.

And for all of the spartan-IV's he is a legend, he was presumed dead and one of the few remaining spartans left alive.

A legend who keeps realising one single truth.

Spartans never die, they go MIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a theory:

I like this theory quite a bit.

Maybe we'll be getting another character to play as. Like in Halo 3. All players were a different character.

So now they're adding more into the team of 4 to make 4. But who would be our fourth playable character is the question.

Maybe we'll be getting another character to play as. Like in Halo 3. All players were a different character.

So now they're adding more into the team of 4 to make 4. But who would be our fourth playable character is the question.

possibly an Elite? or what I've seen brought up is it's like Halo 2 where Chief and Locke are separate places so with Chief there'd be 4 chiefs and Locke would have different characters or something maybe?

I do believe that Chief has been said to be "on the run" from ONI and the UNSC on the charge of desertion and going rogue, so it's likely this Spartan does have orders to capture Chief. However, I don't believe ONI wants John dead just yet, remember, he knows things about the Forerunners, who are likely returning, that they don't. Chief is more valuable to ONI, Halsey, and any other faction out to get him, alive than dead.