Halo 5: Guardians Teaser Image Speculation Thread

For any Halo fans today's biggest news is undoubtedly the confirmation of Halo 5: Guardians as the next instalment of the Halo franchise, and for many the most exciting thing isn't the revelation that the Chief's next adventure will have a name, but the prominence of what appears to be a second Spartan on the front cover. I've attached a high-quality file in the spoiler box below for the purposes of formatting (and you can click on it to make it even bigger!)

halo-5-guardians-art-1.jpg

The armour itself is an interesting starting point: the helmet appears to be a blend of the Fotus faceplate from Halo 4, combined with the top of the Mark V variant in Reach. The torso segment bears a lot of similarities to the Recruit variant found in Halo 4, though with a Mass Effect-style strip down the centre, and the arms in particular have the rounded pauldrons common to that series. The sides of the helmet also evoke the jaw mandibles of the Elites, so given that Sangheilios appears to be the world in the background (more on that later) it could be that the new suit is built by co-opting both Forerunner AND Covenant technologies, which would make this by far the most powerful incarnation of Mjolnir to date.

Overall, the suit seems to have the round, curved shapes associated with the Spartan-IVs rather than the hard, angular plates of the Spartan-II series of Mjolnir, so it could be that we're looking at a Spartan-IV. The upper figure's fingers actually look to be somewhat longer than the Chief's (although this could just be distortion), and although it's been suggested that the upper figure has a feminine look, to me the body shape looks more masculine. I think a lot of people might be getting this impression from the fact that the figure's helmet bears some similarities to that found on Samus' suit from the Metroid series, or possible the blue visor. Josh Holmes also confirmed that the character is a 'he' in a tweet, and that the new Spartan was to be a completely new character.

Something else which is of interest is that fact that while the Chief's armour is still devoid of insignias, the second Spartan's armour is clearly marked with an ONI logo on the left side of the breastplate. Several Spartans have been confirmed to be working for ONI over the course of the series and expanded universe, and the Spartan-III program was of course commissioned by ONI. In short we could well be looking at any class of Spartan, from a Spartan-II like Naomi to a Spartan-IV like Team Majestic or even an enhanced Spartan-III like the members of Noble Team. Perhaps we'll even be playing our own Spartan-IVs from Halo 4, and be allowed to customise them as happened with Noble Six in Reach?

One last thing of interest in the reflection atop the second Spartan's helmet, which has the orange and silver colouration associated with the Didact, and indeed looks a little like the Forerunner construct seen in last year's E3 trailer. It's not clear what it is but it wouldn't be shown if it weren't important, so I'm excited to see what it turns out to be - possibly a new Forerunner weapon or (and behold rampant speculation) perhaps a part of a newly-composed Didact?

The background planet appears to be Sangheilios, from its descriptions within the books, and tied in with the amount of sand sweeping through the image it definitely appears to match the desert teaser image from last year's E3, agains suggesting that whatever is being reflected atop the Spartan's helmet is a forerunner creation.

The weapons themselves are also notable. It looks as though the MA5D model Assault Rifle from Halo 4 is going to make a return, as will the BR85HB Battle Rifle from Halo 4, which appears to be sporting a reflex sight rather than the classic scope associated with it zoom function: while this may not be the final model, it might hint at the inclusion of some sort of ADS mechanic, the removal/reduction of its ability to scope in at long ranges, or the ability to customise weapon sights (or it could be purely cosmetic). Both weapons also appear to be somewhat elongated from their Halo 4 counterparts, although again this could just be distortion.

Lastly, it does appear that the Chief's visor has retained the cracking we saw at last year's E3 trailer (though it's quite difficult to see), although he's missing the heavy cloak which he was wearing then: presumably this means that it won't be incorporated into his final character design. At any rate, the Chief himself looks about the same as ever, and it's going to be very interesting to see what the dynamic between these two characters is, especially in light of the events concerning Dr. Halsey toward the end of the first season of Spartan Ops, ONI's relationship with her, the death of Cortana, and the Chief's own loyalties.

• Like 8

I'm wondering what ways the new Battle Rifle will affect multiplayer gameplay. The possibility of customizing weapons is very exciting, and as long as things such as bullet hardness, suppressors, rapid fire, etc. aren't added, I'm very much for weapon customization. I'd like to be able to customize the skin, color, reticle, and the scope itself. Also, I hope having the new scope doesn't affect gameplay, like for example switching to CoD style scoping, where one brings the weapon to his face rather than an instant zoom like in previous Halo games.

I'm very excited about this new spartan. I'm hoping he'll be a playable character in the campaign, whether it means an Arbiter type role, or Noble Six type of role in Halo: Reach. 

Overall very informative and thought provoking post Red, Good job! :thumbsup:

Here is to speculation.

If the above spartan is indeed sporting a recruit like armor, my suggestion would be that it woul reffer to spartan ops, maybe the two stories will collide or your Spartan could cross paths with the chief.

The thing that is bothering though is that the chief is upside down and he looks like some sort of reflection or mirrage, it could be part of the story or even worse (don't take this personal anyone) It would be that you search for the chief, he went MIA and you are tasked with finding him, sort of like ODST where in the Rookie has to find all his lost team mates, eventually leading up to the two meeting and an epic conclusion to Halo 5.

I just wonder one thing: Is the mark V helmet in MP and can I choose my own logo from the start.

I have to admit I like the new title it is quite fitting.

Could we see multiple playable protagonists because of "Guardians" 

Also "Guardians" no doubt is a reference to the Forerunners. Perhaps they did somehow survive and just like the Didact said at the end of Halo 4" "The Forerunners Have Returned"

Now it is time to see if Humans are really up to reclaim the mantle. Hopefully the flood return too and hopefully we see some Precursor artifacts in this game although I high doubt it because *INSERT BOOK SPOILER HERE*

Since it is apparent that ONI doesn't really care about John I think it is possible that they could be sending this guy to go kill him or capture him. Maybe we get to play as both and when we are Chief everything is an enemy, and when we are the other guy the UNSC are allies and the covenant and prometheans (if they are in the game) will be enemies. However the two Spartans would never actually meet because then it would have to take control of one. Instead one of them could end up dying. Just think if Master Chief died in this game... 343 did say it would be the darkest Halo.

Did anyone else notice all the orange lines that seem to be on the bottom half of the armor, reminds me of the Didact's combat skin. The armor definitely seems to have some attachment to the forerunner.

Edited by WonderWombat

Im all for new characters, but i miss some of the untied ends. When are we gonna get the word on admiral cole? Linda, Fred, Kelly, Soren and Grey team? Even a cameo! Team black! Dont remember if they are alive or not :/ know who is deffinitly still alive? Sgt lopez of the UNSC redhorse!!! Cause shes loco

Im all for new characters, but i miss some of the untied ends. When are we gonna get the word on admiral cole? Linda, Fred, Kelly, Soren and Grey team? Even a cameo! Team black! Dont remember if they are alive or not :/ know who is deffinitly still alive? Sgt lopez of the UNSC redhorse!!! Cause shes loco

The word on Admiral Cole is that he got exploded. If he survived it is probably due to poor writing and they needed a plot device.

Just throwing it out there and I could be completely wrong but what if it could be cortana?

There have been many reports from various personnel at 343 (Including O'Conner) who have stated that it's not a girl, or even someone from previous Halo games, but rather an entirely new character.

Ok, I have my own theory about the teaser image and its mystery spartan. I really want ya'll to brace yourselves for this one...

Its Cortana

Just throwing it out there and I could be completely wrong but what if it could be cortana?

Wayy ahead of you on that idea

There have been many reports from various personnel at 343 (Including O'Conner) who have stated that it's not a girl, or even someone from previous Halo games, but rather an entirely new character.

Ah, that's good to know. I had said that though due to the glowing color of the visor resembling Cortana's color and because the art shows it as Cheif's "reflection" or "other half."

Made sense to me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very possible that it could be some sort of AI but it has been said it's not Cortana or even a female. I still think it's someone hunting down Chief and the UNSC for Halsey. She created Chief, so now she is creating this new Spartan the same way she did Chief, thus the "reflection" of Chief in the cover art.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really care if it's a new character or not, they look absolutely badass and awesome. I hope they have a badass and good personality as well and not just be an annoying character that you get stuck with such as Jar Jar Binks haha :).

• 2 months later...

I think the new character could be a replacement of Master Chief as the guy who interrogates Dr. Halsey in the beginning of Halo 4 wanted to replace Master Chief and he might encounter Chief in the Campaign and maybe the new character would have more ruthless solutions than Chief and they might have a little rivalry. I don't Know, just a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...