Why Halo should KEEP betrayal.

Delpen9

Hmmm... Why not add in a "shared" friendly-fire function? Similar to Black Ops II, one fires at a teammate (and lands hits,) and he takes the same damage.

It is impossible to please players, as they will exploit, cheat, and complain their sentience out, so accidents are prone. An experimental idea.

• Like 1

Maybe they could do something like World of Tanks.

Track the damage they do to a teammate and if they do enough (Well beyond what could happen by accident) they get marked so that all of the team knows they are a ********.

When this happens, they can be killed without penalty by other players and any experience they would earn is given to their victims as compensation.

This marking lasts for several games, where it eventually disappears if you behave.

If they keep on betraying while in this state, they get banned for a week.

• Like 2

I don't mind that idea Legend however I have three questions:

1: How is the game supposed to determine what is accidental damage and what is damage done on purpose? I see no real way to determine that. I mean if I am driving a Scorpion tank and shoot at the enemy and accidently blow up a friendly hog that flew off a jump in front of me and killed all 3 of them inside I am betting I would be punished. Yet it is punishment that I don't deserve.

2: What kind of damage threshold would there be to determine when punishment takes effect? How much damage is appropriate when taking into considerations the mix of vehicles and infantry fights we have? Does running people over with a Ghost cause the meter to rise faster then EMP'ing a Mantis over and over again? How is it going to be calculated?

3: Does the warning signs of impending punishment carry over to the following games? If they are a jerk up to nearly the point of punishment being implemented and then the game ends do they start fresh? Is only a portion of it carried with them?

I don't mind that idea Legend however I have three questions:

1: How is the game supposed to determine what is accidental damage and what is damage done on purpose? I see no real way to determine that. I mean if I am driving a Scorpion tank and shoot at the enemy and accidently blow up a friendly hog that flew off a jump in front of me and killed all 3 of them inside I am betting I would be punished. Yet it is punishment that I don't deserve.

2: What kind of damage threshold would there be to determine when punishment takes effect? How much damage is appropriate when taking into considerations the mix of vehicles and infantry fights we have? Does running people over with a Ghost cause the meter to rise faster then EMP'ing a Mantis over and over again? How is it going to be calculated?

3: Does the warning signs of impending punishment carry over to the following games? If they are a jerk up to nearly the point of punishment being implemented and then the game ends do they start fresh? Is only a portion of it carried with them?

Get ready...

BUNGIE POLICE/BIG BUNGIE BROTHER

Okay, maybe 343, but what about spies on servers that work as "incognito" cops? I saw this happen personally... On YouTube.

Betrayals should be easy to understand. I remember bungie had put in a system in reach that would try to figure out if you were a habitual betrayer or not and if you were then the person you betray would be given the boot option more frequently. I found this to not work in many cases because of griffball where betrayals happen quite a bit. All we need is a basic system that works every time you step in a game. Here is how I would set it up.

1st: Like in past games when you betray someone you will get a penalty when you die. 

2nd: You can not pick up the weapons of the person you betrayed until you face your penalty for betraying. Meaning you have to die before you can pick up his weapon.

3rd: I would go with the 3 strike rule and your automatically booted. I would also add that if you betray someone twice in a game then they are given the option to boot you or forgive you.

The best reason for betrayal to stay is the fact that their really isn't a reason to take it out. It isnt my fault you were assassinating the enemy and i didn't see you behind him when i shot a rocket at him. Also betrayal adds in the necessary sorry occasionally that we all need to hear and what's a world without a little regret.

I think the betrayal system should definitely stay, there's no reason to take it out. And to be honest it's a feature/mechanic that all of us Halo players have grown to know and love, you know how much the Halo community has hated change recently :wallbash:. Anyway back to what I was saying: I don't really think it is necessary to take out a feature that comes in quite helpful to newbies of the series in finding out that Halo like many other franchises is a game where you pay the consequence for doing something wrong, whether that be being in the wrong spot of cover on legendary campaign or shooting your own teammate on multiplayer and losing points and skill for it. Look, point is they learn the right from wrong things to do in the game pretty quickly, the hard way. This ensures that they definitely learn not to betray their teammates as Halo is a very much competitive game, which is even suggested by the ranking system. It also adds to the realism of the game as in real life if you shot your colleague you'd pay the consequences, and very majorly (even if it was accidental). I just think that it's an all round helpful mechanic that helps newbies learn not to kill people like idiots :).

• Like 1

Maybe they could do something like World of Tanks.

Track the damage they do to a teammate and if they do enough (Well beyond what could happen by accident) they get marked so that all of the team knows they are a ********.

When this happens, they can be killed without penalty by other players and any experience they would earn is given to their victims as compensation.

This marking lasts for several games, where it eventually disappears if you behave.

If they keep on betraying while in this state, they get banned for a week.

The problem is in World of Tanks each tank gun has its set amount of damage, so the game knows when you go over what could come of an accidental shot. I don't know how this would translate to Halo. Also in World of Tanks you get one life, so once someone turns blue (the betrayal color) they get righteously slaughtered, in Halo you would keep respawning.

• 1 month later...