How NOT to be a bad teammate

Rue

We all have run into THOSE players before. 

Players who find ways around the betrayal system.

Players who destroy your vehicles.

Players who yoink you.

If you haven't run into one of these players before, then it's probably you and you should totally knock it off. Like, seriously... Not cool.

80_haloreach_kl.jpg

If you are one of these players and have looked for catalogs, Halo guides, television shows, documentaries, or even whole websites on how to change but have found nothing, look no further! Following this guide should be able to help you on your way to becoming a better teammate! 

Readers: But Death, why should we bother changing at all?

DeathByFae: Excellent question! I'm glad you asked. Being a bad player can cause other players to avoid you, which in turn lowers your rep.

Readers: Ooookay. Why should I care if players avoid me? If they don't want to play with me it's their loss!

DeathByFae: Oh yeah? What if every player in the Halo 4 community were to avoid you, leaving you with nobody to play with? Who's loss would it be then, punk?

Readers: .......

DeathByFae: Exactly. Now shut up and pay attention.

So now, the moment you've all been waiting for... What NOT to do!

Don't betray teammates on purpose: This is very annoying, especially for players who have just gotten a great oridinace drop, a killing spree, or finally got into that vehicle they have been waiting all game for. This is immature and can really grind peoples gears! Also, if somebody betrays you and it's clearly an accident, you don't need to press 'x' as soon as the option to boot them pops up. People make mistakes!

EMPing your teammate for the vehicle you wanted: Now THIS is one thing that really grinds my gears. Your game loads, and you know the map perfectly. You spawn, the location of the nearest ghost on your brain. Taking off at a sprint, you notice your teammate has the same idea as you. You stay focused and keep going, hoping you get there first. Your heart skips a beat when the action 'press x to drive ghost' appears on your screen. You have it! You're in! You go to zoom off, when suddenly your ghost is EMPed. You move your screen around frantically. Is it enemy fire? Your ghost is ready to go again, and once again you try to take off, only to be EMPed once more. You finally figure out it's your teammate, his jealousy causing him to make rash decisions. After a few choice curse words, you attempt to go again, only to be EMPed. He has to run out of bullets sometime...

Yoinking teammates: This is an unwritten rule. You don't yoink your own teammates! It's a different story on rumble pit, but when you have teammates, you should let them keep their kills. Imagine, you're about to get a killing frenzy, and during the heat of battle you accidentally hold the melee button down for too long. You start the animation for the awesomest assassination of your game, and pray that you don't die before it's over. Suddenly, your teammate yoinks you and you take a DMR shot to the head. I can imagine how you're feeling, it's happened to me before. Don't be the teammate that causes someone that much sadness! It's not fun!

Teabagging: I'm not sure why I decided to put this category on here, because I think it's completely appropriate in team slayer. Only to players of the enemy team, of course. If someone just got owned, they deserve to be teabagged. Period. It makes it even funnier if you are a chick!

Obnoxious on mics: Some people just shout and hoot and yell into their mics like crazy. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, unless it's stupid annoying things that don't make sense and curse words and racism and sexism and smack talk and prejudice stuff yada yada. Nobody wants to hear that crap, why can't you just shut up and play some Halo?

So there you have it. Well, some of it. These are only the things that I myself have witnessed, but I'm sure there are numerous more things. Remember, DO NOT continue to do these things if you want to be a good teammate. If you have read the entire guide through and it hasn't helped you, I think that you are a special case and will always be considered a bad teammate. Don't be ashamed if you are one of these people, sometimes it's just apart of your personality and can't be helped.

If I forgot something that you have experienced, be sure to add your input below. Thanks for reading!

• Like 6

Interesting guide! Quite the entertaining read good job  :thumbsup:

So now, the moment you've all been waiting for... What NOT to do!

Don't betray teammates on purpose:

EMPing your teammate for the vehicle you wanted:

Yoinking teammates:

Teabagging:

I do all of these things(to Sparky) and don't regret it. 

• Like 3

But this is more of a guide than anything. I don't think it will change anyone's actions or thoughts. What this thread is actually doing is telling you to not feed the trolls... But I agree with a few things, not many though. There are reasons behind them why they're being used as bad, everything has a good reason behind it too as why they're doing it.

This is a pathological illness known as betralioma. I bare the illness and I'm ashamed. Other recognized carriers include Silent Alpha and Bnus, but Bnus is individualized case. He has a subset of Betralioma known as Sparkelia Betralioma. Its symptoms late into development are serious heart palpitations, abrasions on the thumb, and visual impairment. Bnus may not have long to have a decent quality of life.

Yoinking, it's not just being mean... It's a crime.

Not all the time, but if you yoink your teammate because there's an enemy shooting them it turns the battle from a helpless defense that leads to a 1v1 of you and the enemy, but if you can yoink them in time it'll be a 2v1 in your favor.

You've missed a couple:

1. Destroying random vehicles laying around at the ol base so Teammates can't get them.

2. Actually destroying Teammates vehicles with them IN IT.

3. Grabbing the Sniper and/or Random Power Weapon and completely wasting the ammo shooting in the air or something.

4. Intentionally splattering Teammates. Also not deciding to stop the damn vehicle, and go full speed ahead if a Teammate gets in your way.

5. Killing Teammates for an Objective their carrying to get points. Like the Flag, Oddball, or Grifball.

6. Sticking Teammates with the Sticky Det without them noticing, and using them as unknowing Suicide Bombers.

7. Blocking a pathway with a vehicle.

8. Packing 3 Guest XBL players (who all suck) and hopping on Matchmaking. Instant loss abound.

• Like 3

Ahh, nice little read, well done!

Thanks Shock!!! Nice to hear from you again(:!

I think this guide has taught me how to be a worse teammate. Thank you Fae. 

Lol no problem Delpy :P

• Like 1

You've missed a couple:

1. Destroying random vehicles laying around at the ol base so Teammates can't get them.

3. Grabbing the Sniper and/or Random Power Weapon and completely wasting the ammo shooting in the air or something.

4. Intentionally splattering Teammates. Also not deciding to stop the damn vehicle, and go full speed ahead if a Teammate gets in your way.

5. Killing Teammates for an Objective their carrying to get points. Like the Flag, Oddball, or Grifball.

6. Sticking Teammates with the Sticky Det without them noticing, and using them as unknowing Suicide Bombers.

8. Packing 3 Guest XBL players (who all suck) and hopping on Matchmaking. Instant loss abound.

I see that you and Fae enjoy giving me ideas. Don't expect me to return the favor, because I may do exactly the opposite someday. Needless to say, you two are now on my hit-list, and I don't check my list twice; so you're SCREWED!      ;)

You've missed a couple:

Hmhm... a little plastic surgery never hurt. :P

It's not like it'll blow up in their face... oh wait.

• Like 1

This is half the reason why I do all the above. On a serious note, if you're gonna hop online effectively doing nothing but dragging the team down, expect your life to be a living hell.

Somebody posted something like this on the Titanfall reddit like an anti-bullying campaign, calling out a 'guy who made the game not fun' because he was mad his teammates weren't doing anything for the game. The OP of that post got rekt.

#RedStarRocket 

Edited by - Exia Dark Matter -
  • Like 1

This isn't something that happens often, but it does happen.

One day, I was playing CTF, and I had the enemy teams flag at their base. I needed a ride, so i stood near a warthog hoping someone will drive me away. Soon, a teammate came to the rescue! The problem was, instead of getting in the drivers seat and driving us away into the sunset, the idiot got into the turret, and we both got killed by a plasma grenade. No, sorry, that wasn't right. FOUR plasma grenades!

I hope you realise that when someone is just standing around a warthog with a flag or the ball, you all will get in the drivers seat and drive the **** away from the enemy.

This isn't something that happens often, but it does happen.

One day, I was playing CTF, and I had the enemy teams flag at their base. I needed a ride, so i stood near a warthog hoping someone will drive me away. Soon, a teammate came to the rescue! The problem was, instead of getting in the drivers seat and driving us away into the sunset, the idiot got into the turret, and we both got killed by a plasma grenade. No, sorry, that wasn't right. FOUR plasma grenades!

I hope you realise that when someone is just standing around a warthog with a flag or the ball, you all will get in the drivers seat and drive the **** away from the enemy.

that guy sucks

and wanted kills because he sucked

what he didn't realize was what you don't get kills by sucking

I do all of these things(to Sparky) and don't regret it. 

b4d39b2962f7e7ac23159684cd651356.jpg?ito

Now back to the topic.

I never get whhy people EMP you for a vehicle or shoot you for a weapon. You're wasting their time and you're own and it's not like I'm just going to give it to you since you asked so nicely!

Also when a player yoinks you. Just find a Ghost and splatter his -Yoink!-

• Like 2