Gaming and Behavior

Mach10Hayley

post-80283-0-64165500-1396473331_thumb.jpg

Some of you may recognize the games shown above. Some of you may have even realized that all these games are violent. Violent video games can strongly impact players, but they do not cause behavior problems. It is a proven fact that violent video games don't cause behavior issues.

First of all, from 1992 to 2009, video game sales have increased by the billions. On the other hand, crimes have decreased by the thousands.

post-80283-0-41316000-1396473576.gif

Most violent video games are rated M for Mature. However only 12 percent of video games rated by the ESRB were given the M rating in 2013. The majority of video games are rated E for Everyone. If parents don't want their children to play violent games, they should READ the ratings that are right under their noses! Guess what? There are even reasons why the game was given a certain rating!

post-80283-0-20901100-1396473770.png

According to the U.S. Secret Service, only one-eighth of school attackers played video games. Adam Lanza did play video games, but it was proven that he was on antidepressants.

Violent video games can be a substitute to physical violence in adolescents. People can unleash their anger upon virtual characters or items as opposed to their actual peers.

Violent games can provoke thoughts that are everything, but negative. Games such as "The Last of Us" can teach us important morals and impact behavior in a positive way. Players can feel happiness, joy, or sadness because of their bond with the characters. 

If violent video games don't cause behavior issues, then what does? The answer is simple. It's domestic violence. People who are exposed to family issues may have violent thoughts deep within them.

"Surgeon Simulator" doesn't make you a surgeon. "Cooking Mama" doesn't make you a chef. So why would GTA make you a psychopath? Consider that and leave your opinion below.

I forgot to mention that this was really a presentation I did for school with Edward Kenway in real life. 

Edward Kenway helped me with it irl!

• Like 3

Your point that there is proven evidence that Video Games don't cause behaviour issues is wrong. It is a proven fact that there is a correlation between aggression and video games, from experiments conducted before. For example, there was an experiment in which 210 students were split into groups to play one of two games - either Myth, or Wolfenstein. One was a puzzle adventure game, the other was, well, not the most appropriate thing I should mention. They tested aggression levels through the act of doing a 'harmless attack' at another student after losing a reaction test. Players who played Wolfenstein made a much more harmful 'attack' compared to Myth players.

There is a proven correlation between Video game and Aggression. It's simply that a correlation does not equal to cause and effect, and Aggression doesn't equate to violence.

It's just that most of the people who end up causing large, violent acts due to 'video games' have mental health issues already.

Otherwise, it's generally a good condensed-detail presentation that gives out the basic information for people. Only nitpick I have is that you don't give a reason as to why violence decreases while video game sales increase, making it sound like video games are making people less violent, when it's just about certain that the real reason is due to economy growth and development.

Since I don't want to cite my psych book for some of the information here, I'll leave the other thing that gave me the info I know. 

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/33232-do-video-games-make-you-violent/

on a completely unrelated topic i've noticed is that your signature kinda breaks the signature rules of 600x300 px images. might wanna change that

Edited by - Exia Dark Matter -