Helix

Welcome to Arctic Biosystems

post-20993-0-49630600-1396310156.jpg

For those of you who aren't familiar with Helix, it is a new TV series presented to us by the Syfy channel. Helix just finished its first season and season 2 is expected in 2015. I've created this thread to hopefully introduce new viewers to show, as well as provide a place for current fans to discuss the show. I'll begin with a brief overview of the plot (with no spoilers) and conclude with my amateur critic review.

Summary

The main events of Helix takes place in a remote laboratory known as Arctic Biosystems. When the laboratory reports a possible disease outbreak in its facility, a distress call is sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Dr. Alan Farragut leads a team of CDC researchers and a US Army Major into the center of the arctic circle to investigate the mysterious outbreak.

Upon arrival the CDC team discovers this isolated facility to be teeming with scientific research and staffed by over 100 personnel. Head scientist of the base Dr. Hiroshi Hatake explains what he knows of the outbreak, and the team expects to develop a quick cure as they are trained to do. This disease turns out to be much more deadly than anyone could possibly imagine.

Once a person is infected, the disease reprograms the brain of its victims and uses them to infect new hosts. Not to mention, the virus consists of an unknown DNA structure. The infected hosts are referred to as Vectors and prove to be a terrifying threat to lives of everyone in the facility. At first, it appears like a typical zombie apocalypse set up, but the plot proves to have far much more depth than vector conflict.

Along with the vectors, numerous other issues show up along the way. Dr. Hatake constantly seems to be hiding crucial information regarding the origins of the virus. The CDC team is left to discover the secrets of Arctic Biosystems for themselves.

*that is all I can reveal about the plot without spoilers* ;)

post-20993-0-51228600-1396310311.jpg

My Amateur Review

I personally got hooked on the show after seeing the first 2 episodes. I'm normally not one to follow any TV shows on a regular basis, but this is one of the few exceptions. I'm going to split up my review into the following paragraphs: setting and production quality, acting, and plot value

Possibly the most impressive feature of Helix is its captivating setting. The idea of having this mysterious, remote laboratory in the middle of the arctic allows for a lot of creativity. The outside world remains nearly oblivious to the events taking place in Arctic Biosystems and the characters are left to make the most of what they are given. The outside of the facility is shown using CGI, but the interior of it is marvelous. Labs are filled with complex equipment and a very clean, organized environment is presented. The technology of the facility seems that it would fit into the near future, unless it already exists. But there is a much darker side to the base as well. Without going into further detail, I will just say that some parts of the base are pleasantly terrifying

As far as acting goes, I'd say it was generally above average. I don't know the real names of the actors, but some in particular did a very good job. The actor who plays Dr. Hatake steals almost every scene he is in. He plays the perfect part of the shady scientist that knows more than he's willing to share. His head of security, Daniel Aerov, also does a good job of his no nonsense, obedient role. Those are just a few to name, but I won't spend too much time in detail. I will admit though, that some of less important characters could have fulfilled their roles with better acting. Some minor characters even become annoying to see, but I believe that they were designed have the audience dislike them. I am not much of an acting critic, so I will leave you all to decide for yourselves

Now this plot, I could talk all day about it but I must refrain from spoiling any parts of the story. As I mentioned in my summary, the beginning of the show may like another zombie apocalypse clichè, but it goes much further. There are so many different elements and separate conflicts to consider when watching the show. The characters need to find a cure for this virus with no help from the outside world, trapped in a remote lab with dangerous vectors, and so much more. Viewers will get glimpses of an odd love triangle and connections between characters that are completely unexpected. After every episode, I was left with so many questions to ponder over. There are countless "wtf???!!!" moments throughout the series that will leave your head spinning in confusion. The plot is complex yet is presented so all of its audience should be able to comprehend it. Character development is strong and it is easy to become attached to some of these characters

Now that is the end of my long rant. I just had to put some of my thoughts about the show into words and hopefully others can do the same. But I do have some quick cautions before I recommend seeing the show: 1) there are a few brief, messy scenes with blood, but they are generally short 2) one instance of characters involved in a sexual relationship, partial nudity shown but all parts are covered 3) the love triangle involves an affair, but it not necessarily essential to the plot. Keep in mind, these are minor warnings and the rest of the show outweighs those bits of bad stuff for me

And please no spoilers!!!

post-20993-0-87108500-1396310521.jpg

• Like 2

The show is great in my opinion, Plot is original and nicely played. The characters are enjoyable and spark interest and anger along with every emotion in between.

For those who have watched the whole season here is one of my questions:

My first question is this, When the base blew at the finale who is likely alive, Sarah is likely pregnant so how will they explain her surviving the blast?

Also Daniel's sister and everyone form the base and neighboring village were in there, so were are our season two characters going to be coming from? Any guesses?

Edited by Yoshi1176
  • Like 1

I had extremely similar questions

but seriously, what happen to everyone after the explosion?? We know the scythe is alive along with Alan, Julia, Hatake, and Peter for sure. I'm sure Jordan is not dead because the baby will surely have to play into season 2. I will really miss Arctic Biosystems though. That place was one of the coolest tv settings ever

And what about the final scene with Julia walking into the Ilaria meeting??? Was she working with them the whole time??! Im mind blown

Also, did we ever learn why Hatake kept peoples' heads in those containers outside of the base? And why was Dr. Hvit do important??

Let's hope we can find ourselves some fellow vectors Yoshi

I have a feeling Doctor Hvit was an Ilaria defector, every killed Ilaria person so far that had invincibility (the name for the condition is escaping me atm)

I think the reason for the heads are that they may not truly die unless the head is separated from the rest of the body. Hitaki wasn't killed by the stab wound or the burns, so what I'm thinking is that is the way they die,

Sorry about that.

Edited by Yoshi1176