Sonic Boom Game Redesigns

Mach10Hayley

Some of you might already know of the upcoming Sonic game, "Sonic Boom".  According to Nintendo, they and SEGA formed a partnership back in May of 2013. They agreed to make the next three Sonic the Hedgehog games Nintendo exclusives.  The first two were "Sonic Lost World" and "Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games" (that's a mouthful). The last game to be released remained a mystery, until early 2014. It has been revealed to be "Sonic Boom". To support the game even more, there's going to be TV series on Cartoon Network starting fall!

post-80283-0-96726900-1396126214_thumb.jpg

All the characters in the game were given redesigns. The most notable redesign is that of Knuckles the Echidna. From an interview for the TV series, the redesigns were meant to represent the character's personality. What confuses me the most is Amy's redesign. It portrays her as that smart and serious girl of the group, despite she has been almost the complete opposite in previous Sonic games! It even says on the "Sonic Boom" website that Amy is "Smart and confident, with acrobatic skills to match". Tails is portrayed as an intelligent engineer, Sonic as an adventurous guy, and Knuckles the buff hot head. These make sense. Not so much of Amy's.

Additionally, all the male protagonists wear what appears to be bandages either on their hands, feet, or both! Their designs were meant to depict the character's personalities, but I don't understand the purpose of the bandages. Was it to make the characters look cooler? Or is their a non-existent back story that will never be revealed because SEGA is SEGA (and swell).

I may be quibbling at this point, but take a look at the characters. Did you find it? Of course not (unless you read ahead). It's the characters's (that's a correct use of 's) textures. The textures have been present in recent modern games, take a close look at Tails's texture. You may need to do a Google search to comprehend better. Tails is a fox with two tails, and of course he's furry. However, his texture in "Sonic Boom" appears to be furrier than his recent designs. (Keep in mind that this is coming from the picture above). I have compared Tails's "Sonic Boom" texture with textures from other CG (computer generated) artwork of him. You can also see it with Knuckles, but Tails has a more prominent texture.

This wraps it up for my first post. You can post your thoughts below (if anyone even cares about SEGA anymore).

• Like 2

I just generally dislike the Knuckles design. I dislike him being so tall and built. I actually really like the tails redesign though. 

Additionally, all the male protagonists wear what appears to be bandages either on their hands, feet, or both! Their designs were meant to depict the character's personalities, but I don't understand the purpose of the bandages. Was it to make the characters look cooler? Or is their a non-existent back story that will never be revealed because SEGA is SEGA (and swell).

hehe