My Xbox One experience (Review)

Unease Peanut

Hello guys,

I again find myself with nothing to do and decided to make another review.

Before I start I wanted to thank Total Mayhem for providing me with great feedback on my previous review.

So...Let's get started.

The Xbox One

As you all might have noticed about a week ago I got my very own Xbox One.

And I have never been so excited to go home from school and wait for a mailman!

xbox-One1.jpg

Once he delivered I rushed upstairs to plug it all in only to find out they gave me an english power cable (I live in the Netherlands so it is useless here)... Thank you local gamestore!

My parents are still making fun of the face I made when I pulled the power cable out. Luckily I was able to 'borrow' the right cable from my 360 console.

(Don't worry, My local gamestore was nice enough to still send me a power adapter for free)

The console needed to apply some updates before I could play so I decided to take a look at...

The controller.

Xbox_One_Controller.jpg

One of the first things I noticed was that it was almost as smooth as silk in my hands. And the removal of the battery pack at the back made it look less bulky. It fit like a glove.

Then I noticed the changes to the analog sticks. They were a bit smaller and didn't have as much resistance as the xbox 360 controller. You need about 0 effort to push them around which makes it easier to react in shooters.

The triggers have the same thing. Very little resistance on the pull. Only these are made larger and your fingers can kinda curl around them, which feels nice.

The one  thing that did bother me a bit were the bumpers. I don't know why but you have to press a lot harder in the inside parts of the bumpers than on the outside parts. Which makes it a bit more difficult to press for players with larger fingers.

After the console did what needed to be done and I ran the setup. I was surprised about how the kinect recognized me and automaticly signed me in. So I decided to play around with the kinect for a bit.

The Kinect

xbox-one-kinect-sensor_1280.0_cinema_640

I have never used a kinect on the 360 so this thing is kinda new to me.

After walking through a tutorial on how to use it. I tried some of the gesture commands.

My room isn't the recommended size but I can still  use the gesture commands to go around the dashboard.

The commands are not hard to memorize which is a plus aswell.

The only problem I've encountered so far is to 'push' buttons or tabs that are in the lower areas of the screen. But I think that is because I too close to the sensor.

Then I tried to use voice commands. Whilst my Xbox One was set to Irish.

Needless to say It didn't work because it didn't recognize my dutch accent. Even telling it to "Tern yerself on ya bloody -Yoink!-, I'll reward ya with a good 'ol scotch" didn't work.

After changing it to the US it worked a lot better. The only times it doesn't work now is if I try to put in commands that don't exsist.

I so far really don't get how people are complaining about how it doesn't work. Even with a heavy Dutch accent I'm able to put in voice commands 99% of the time.

Overall a very nice adition to the console

Now onto the...

Dashboard

home-hero.jpg

The Dashboard is very familiar to the xbox 360 dashboard. Only now the 'Home' page is all yours. No more ads. It only displays the stuff that is yours.

(The ads you see to the left are from the 'Store' section)

You have quick acces to eveything you are playing or have recently played. With the Home button on your controller, the gesture command or the voice commands you can easily switch between games and apps without needing to shut one of them down. So while your game is loading or installing you can watch some youtube video's to kill the time. Very nice feature.

The lesser amount of tabs makes it easier to move through the dashboard but I found myself wondering where I could acces my xbox settings and or storage.

Now onto my conclusion because this post is getting rather long.

Overall the Xbox One is a very good console. It has it's minor flaws here and there but hey... nothing is perfect.

Is it worth the €600,-? That remains a question for yourself to answer. In my opinion is is a bit at a high price. But I still think it was totally worth it.

Thanks for reading through this and please leave some comments and or tips.

Have a nice day! :)

Edited by Unease P34nut
  • Like 6

frankly I will probabbly NOT pick up one ... no pun intended because currently i am not to pleased with MS  but instead I will pick up a PS4 if anything for Next Gen altho if Microsoft fixes themeselves then I will consider it and first thing that would make for a good start would be a price drop because $500 is WAAAY out of line

But Either way Nice Review :3

My Review of your Review 3.5/5 XD

Not a bad short review on the Xbox One! ^_^ I'm still not big on Microsoft as I used to be and I won't be getting the Xbox One any time soon. I feel like Microsoft is the father that still thinks and treats its son like a dull and clueless child even though that "Child" is 20 years old and has various qualifications. That's how I feel with Microsoft at the moment and it's not gonna' change anytime soon. I have lost my trust in the company. I feel as if Sony speak to their fans with respect and talk to us like respectable human beings.

I just think Playstation has won the next gen battle, they just edge out on front regarding everything, which includes technology (even though it's similar), console looks, the dashboard, controller, games and so on. Sure, that's just my personal opinion and because I love Playstation it's obvious I would say that but I think a mass majority of people would agree.

• Like 1

Not a bad short review on the Xbox One! ^_^ I'm still not big on Microsoft as I used to be and I won't be getting the Xbox One any time soon. I feel like Microsoft is the father that still thinks and treats its son like a dull and clueless child even though that "Child" is 20 years old and has various qualifications. That's how I feel with Microsoft at the moment and it's not gonna' change anytime soon. I have lost my trust in the company. I feel as if Sony speak to their fans with respect and talk to us like respectable human beings.

I just think Playstation has won the next gen battle, they just edge out on front regarding everything, which includes technology (even though it's similar), console looks, the dashboard, controller, games and so on. Sure, that's just my personal opinion and because I love Playstation it's obvious I would say that but I think a mass majority of people would agree.

yea i agree with you there  PS4 definitely won it even tho PS4 isnt that great either

yea i agree with you there  PS4 definitely won it even tho PS4 isnt that great either

Yeah, both consoles are still missing features and what not. PS4 definitely edged out on front but I wouldn't say the PS4 and Xbox One proved themselves to the fullest, they both still need work.

Yeah, both consoles are still missing features and what not. PS4 definitely edged out on front but I wouldn't say the PS4 and Xbox One proved themselves to the fullest, they both still need work.

Atleast Microsoft and Sony accounted for this and planned ahead for a year and half of line-up releases for old gen. as long as they keep it up ill have no complaints, and that alone will keep my from buying a next gen for the next 2 years. while next gen consoles are sub-par to expectations, microsoft is still catering to those unimpressed with it. im one of those people. typically, in a companies quest to make as much money as possible they have to make products that satisfy yet dont wow! their consumers. if they do manage to wow! their consumers it is most likely a publicity stunt or coincidence in the process of making money. 

frankly I will probabbly NOT pick up one ... no pun intended because currently i am not to pleased with MS  but instead I will pick up a PS4 if anything for Next Gen altho if Microsoft fixes themeselves then I will consider it and first thing that would make for a good start would be a price drop because $500 is WAAAY out of line

But Either way Nice Review :3

My Review of your Review 3.5/5 XD

Considering Microsoft didn't lie to their fans... they instead chose to fix what people didn't like. Sony, when it came to DRM (the most hated feature people didn't like about the Xbox One's initial design... the one they fixed...) decided to hide the fact that they planned on also using DRM on the PS4. Instead of telling their fans, they just hid it and covered it up with a console update.

I'd rather a company be straight forward with me about something they want to do... and be willing to fix it if the fans didn't like it... than a company lie about something and try to hide it from me and change it before they get in trouble with their fans.

Now let me continue by saying this:

The Playstation 4 AND the Xbox One have YET to reach their full potential. You can hardly say that Sony has won the next gen battle when both companies are just now getting started with their new consoles. We will probably never be able to gauge who wins the next gen console race.... because one year Sony could be ahead, and the next Microsoft... shoot who is to say that Nintendo doesn't release a console that knocks the socks off of both Sony and Microsoft? 

Both consoles have been successful. 

If you want to know more about what I said there last, give this article a look.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-360-wii-ps3-won-console-generation/

• Like 3

Considering Microsoft didn't lie to their fans... they instead chose to fix what people didn't like. Sony, when it came to DRM (the most hated feature people didn't like about the Xbox One's initial design... the one they fixed...) decided to hide the fact that they planned on also using DRM on the PS4. Instead of telling their fans, they just hid it and covered it up with a console update.

I'd rather a company be straight forward with me about something they want to do... and be willing to fix it if the fans didn't like it... than a company lie about something and try to hide it from me and change it before they get in trouble with their fans.

The Playstation 4 AND the Xbox One have YET to reach their full potential. You can hardly say that Sony has won the next gen battle when both companies are just now getting started with their new consoles. We will probably never be able to gauge who wins the next gen console race.... because one year Sony could be ahead, and the next Microsoft... shoot who is to say that Nintendo doesn't release a console that knocks the socks off of both Sony and Microsoft? 

If you want to know more about what I said there last, give this article a look.

So Microsoft treats us like a child but Sony treats us like a gullible little sister. 

very true, the main thing making me want X1 is the games and the setup I'm used to it I'm not used to the way PS rolls so thats why I'm going to go X1 even though it's $750 here

see thats too much money and for me the games werent anything impressive aside from the fact that they arent even putting the X1 at 1080P its still at 720P which is a +1 for the PS4 cause it does have the capabilities for 1080P

see thats too much money and for me the games werent anything impressive aside from the fact that they arent even putting the X1 at 1080P its still at 720P which is a +1 for the PS4 cause it does have the capabilities for 1080P

yeah I think NZ and Australia should have been included in the price drop that the UK got as over here the games are all $100+

Hrrm good review this had inspired me to finally start writing a PS4 review nice Review my tasty friend. :)

Great review P34nut! Nice break down of each feature. I completely agree with you on everything said by the way.

Great improvement in the structure and appearance of the article as well! ;)

Good review peanut :) the main thing making me iffy about X1 is the thumb sticks but PS4's aren't great either

The thumbsticks work surprisingly well actually. Better than the Xbox 360's.  And thank you :)

Please not this article is written just by looking at the console. NOT the company who made it!

Well, the key word there being "planned" and didn't actually go through with it. I see your point but honestly it really wasn't necessary for Sony to mention it, if it was going to be boycotted anyway. Not to say nobody has lied regarding both Microsoft and Sony, but I stand my ground when it comes to who's more trustworthy and the better company (Just about).

"I'd rather a company be straight forward with me about something they want to do... and be willing to fix it if the fans didn't like it... than a company lie about something and try to hide it from me and change it before they get in trouble with their fans."

You say that as if that's all Sony has been doing. If Sony hides one idea that they then realize is a bad idea and remove it, that doesn't exactly shout out "Look at us, we're a bunch of liars and like to hide things from our fans and consumers in general". All I can say is that both companies have ideas that have been hidden away, for whatever reason and I'll leave it at that because I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to what both companies have been up to.

I am still a bit annoyed that for both consoles, we can't use PS3 and 360 games, I do understand or have an idea at least as to why but still it would be nice if a select few games could be playable. This is just me nitpicking, moving on.

Fair point about the next gen battle, you're right that both consoles are still at the beginning stage and it's hard to say who's going to be at the top when both next gen consoles really show us what next gen is but again I also stand my ground when I say Sony is ever so slightly in the lead at the moment. You could say it's personal opinion but you know what I mean by that as I already mentioned my reason above. And, it's very unlikely Nintendo will take the lead if they did actually bring out a new console, they're not up to par with Microsoft and Sony, so bringing Nintendo into it is pointless, even thought I do see where you're going with that statement.

I was already aware that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 did well but thanks for the link anyway (I'm not including Nintendo in this since we're only really talking about MS and Sony). :)

So, I guess I'll finish by saying, lets all wait to see what happens at E3. Hopefully there, we can see some amazing new stuff for both consoles!

Edited by ShockGazm

May3m I heard that Sony had 2 E3 plans planned , one with Drm and one without Drm it was to see the reaction MS got if they got good reaction to Drm then they would present the Drm one.

if MS got bad reactions to Drm then they would present the non Drm one I see nothing wrong with this at all It is a business for starters and well would you not do both if you were the head of Sony ? ...

Of course you would to make sure you were taking no risks to make sure you could win over the fans it makes logical sense and is what I would do If I was head of Sony. :)

Edited by Caboose the Ace

May3m I heard that Sony had 2 E3 plans planned , one with Drm and one without Drm it was to see the reaction MS got if they got good reaction to Drm then they would present the Drm one.

if MS got bad reactions to Drm then they would present the non Drm one I see nothing wrong with this at all It is a business for starters and well would you not do both if you were the head of Sony ? ...

Of course you would to make sure you were taking no risks to make sure you could win over the fans it makes logical sense and is what I would do If I was head of Sony. :)

Yea but the only reason why sony did that was to try and capitalize  on MS screw up  which i suppose was a smart move  but either way they should hae just presented the non DRM one because either way they had a leg up by marking the PS4 at $399 instead of $499

can you do X1 game reviews when you get them? I'd love to read them 

I have one for Titanfall.

The only other game I have is BF4. I'll make sure to review that when I've played it enough and find the time to do so