Important Rule Update

RedStarRocket91

I support this rule, as a member of the News Group, 100 percent. Plagiarism isn't cool guys, content that isn't original isn't as interesting to read and is more of a turn-off to promote or even like. It's sad to see certain members copy from articles, even if not 100% of the article is a copy/paste. I know you guys have the potential, just tap into it, I promise it will make you prouder of your work. 

Again, fully behind this rule and supportive Red.

• Like 2

This is one of the major rules on my college. If more than abour 50% is copy-pasted from other websites we're in serious trouble.

This is a fair warning and just post your sources and such to avoid any problems.

I totally agree to this post.

*Works really hard on a post*-----> *Is miraculously the same as an article on IGN" ------> *Gets banned* ------> *Becomes depressed and gets fat*------> *makes your parent pay for liposuction* --------> *crazy surgeon plants a bomb in your body* ------> *You explode while snuggling with your teddy bear*  

Don't explode while snuggling a teddy bear. Upgrade to Allstate NOW! 

So wait, is reading articles and then changing most words to different words with the same meaning banned now or what? Because if so it's going to be extremely hard to make news thread posts on a certain thing without observing a few words in another article :). So does it have to be 100 % your own words now? :D.

So wait, is reading articles and then changing most words to different words with the same meaning banned now or what? Because if so it's going to be extremely hard to make news thread posts on a certain thing without observing a few words in another article :). So does it have to be 100 % your own words now? :D.

Yes articles have to be 100% your own words. That is how the news team does it and to avoid legal issues that's how all members should do it. 

Finally this rule comes into place. It has my support 10385%. *starts typing reports like crazy* 

• Like 2

Even though I don't post news of any kind, I'm all for this. When I read an article I don't want to see someone copy and paste the information that could be read by clicking the link and also having no incentive to write much about the topic itself. I want to see that member post their thought on the article and then add a link to the source. This is how it should be done. :)

Of course information from the linked article will have to be referenced to explain the news post but as long as it's straight to the point and followed up by a good paragraph or so, about said topic... then all in all happy days. That's my intake on this.

Edited by ShockGazm
  • Like 2

I support this 100 percent ....

Some advice for people .... First take a look at the article and look at another and maybe see how you can combine both of them as one maybe take out words and replace them and make the article more structured maybe just look a one or 2 and write yours from scratch. :)

• Like 1

Quoting from articles to illustrate a point is still okay. As a rule of thumb, if someone Googles a couple of sentences from what you've written and gets matches with other content on all of them, that's when there's going to be problems. Similarly, if someone open a source link and the original article is structured in exactly the same way, just with words swapped out for synonyms, then that would be an issue. Just having a couple of similar phrases here and there isn't an issue in itself - the main aim of this rule change is to protect our forum and its members from legal action, but we're not going to hand out punishments unless there's clear intent of plagiarism.

• Like 2

Everyone was taught this in middle school. If you are not yet IN middle school, then you will learn it from here I guess.

For those of you who don't know how not to plagiarize, click the spoiler below.

Rule number one of writing is be as original as possible. If you cannot be original, you shouldn't be posting it. The ONLY time it's okay to copy/paste something is if you state BEFOREHAND that you are, in fact, copy pasting it and who wrote it and where you can find the original.

Even with that though, if you find that over half of your post is cold, stale copypasta (copy pasting for those of you who are not internet savvy) then you should probably not post that. You have no reason to anyway, as someone already has.

For those of you who don't quite get it, here's an example of what IS okay.

So the guys over at IGN came out with some awesome news today! Basically, *insert a summation of the news article in your own words*. Here's a link to read their article! *insert link here*

Here's what is NOT okay.

So IGN posted this on their site *insert entire article copy pasted straight from the website*. Here's a link *insert link to article here*

Getting banned isn't fun. Especially for laziness in your posts.

• Like 2

I agree. Just out of curiosity, is it ok for News posts to have some parts of another article but listing the source it was taken from? This may make it easier whilst still crediting the first writer.

They said if you say who wrote it beforehand then its okay. so you have to quote the material. even so you prob. shouldnt do it too often, but id think you would know more about this than me. 

I know how to not plagiarise Director :). I've learnt, I'm in high school. I haven't actually broken any rules anyway, just being inquisitive that's all. In my news thread about Destiny playable characters it was all 100 % my own words, with quotes from Bungie :D.

I think they blow these things out of proportion sometimes, They really are not doing anything with what they "Plagiarize", they just post it on this website, I mean......

Imagine you draw a sweet picture, you pour your time and soul into this amazing piece and love it, you publish it, and then along comes someone who likes it, who reposts the picture into HIS gallery and gets likes and favs. Yeah, that's how it feels.

• Like 3

Imagine you draw a sweet picture, you pour your time and soul into this amazing piece and love it, you publish it, and then along comes someone who likes it, who reposts the picture into HIS gallery and gets likes and favs. Yeah, that's how it feels.

Well said Edward