City of Grey

Zandril

City of Grey

by Zandril S312

5x6eM8M.jpg

City of Grey is a linear Flood map that is to be played with 12-14 players. The idea behind the map was to create a fast-paced map where players can feel like there's an actual story behind the map and will have to use teamwork to achieve success.

With City of Grey's aesthetics and phases, it accomplishes this goal. This linear Flood map is a difficult one. It's difficult but it's not impossible.

If the humans coordinate with one another, they will succeed. This map is inspired by the fast-paced gameplay of Favela Vengeance and the classic Halo feeling brought by the Warthog run of Coastal Highway.

THE BEGINNING

Pictures:

The humans spawn at a beach.

qOJIVnf.jpg

The Flood will spawn on an elevated area in front of the humans.

LijFKci.jpg

Info:

It is at this stage where the actions of the Flood may determine the map's difficulty. If the Flood are smart and are able to kill some humans at the start, surviving the map will be even harder for the humans.

FIRST PHASE

Pictures:

D2FxsEe.jpg

0TugiVF.jpg

The Flood are given several options in this phase

1) They can go through the first teleporter which leads them inside an elevated crate which they can use to get the drop on humans

2) They can take a right off spawn and go to the second floor of a building which would allow them to jump to a very good height.

3) They can take a right off spawn and go down to the ground floor of a building which is a more covered and more or less sneaky way to attack the humans.

4) They can jump to the bridge walkway and get a very high jump. However, they will also be very exposed.

5) From the second floor of the building near them, they can get to another roof.

6) They can drop down to the beach and attack the humans head-on. This isn't a good idea. clear.png

3YZjZZB.jpg

THE STREET

Pictures:

Ripping off the the first turret and carrying it to the second phase is risky but beneficial if you succeed. There is also a Saw that spawns in the alley. Going for this Saw is also risky because the Flood can catch up to you from the first phase.

FBMPtN0.jpg

Watch the rooftops. The Flood could be up there to get the drop on you.

ceMbUjj.jpg

Be sure to watch your backs. They're fast.

0c5loXL.jpg

Info: The street is the short walk from the first phase to the second phase. This walk is short but can be very dangerous. The Flood use this phase to their advantage by killing the humans who aren't watching their back. The way the humans play at this phase can be a deciding factor in the game.

THE SECOND PHASE

Pictures:

The Flood are once again given options.

FOPfC9l.jpg

D5jenK1.jpg

Humans have a choice to stay on the ground or climb the platform. Platform has the height advantage. Ground has the turret. You choose.

HI6tbYP.jpg

Info: This is the phase where everyone (usually) dies. Having a second turret is very helpful but the process of accompanying and protecting the guy carrying the turret to the second phase is very perilous. If humans even commit the slightest mistake, the Flood could achieve victory.

MOBILIZE

Pictures:

When that second door explodes, get your butt in a vehicle as fast as you can. You'll be give one Warthog. Use this Warthog to defend the Mongeese while on the way to the third phase.

ddiM2cy.jpg

Don't think that being in a vehicle means that you're safe. The Flood will be dropping on you again.

N256WMN.jpg

Don't lose your grip on the Warthog now. clear.png

QdkaS1u.jpg

THE THIRD PHASE

Pictures:

If the humans are good enough, they are rewarded with a Gauss Hog. The third phase is spacious enough to give the humans in vehicles a fighting chance. Just keep driving. Don't sit in one spot.

j0XjSWJ.jpg

Try not to get killed as a gunner.

DgBokSm.jpg

Info: This is the last phase. If you make it here, props to you because that is no easy feat especially if the Flood are decent. The Flood have the most options in this phase. They are given two teleporters which lead to different parts of the third phase. One leads to a path that the Flood can take to the buildings.

The other leads to a walkway that the Flood can use as an observing deck to plan how they're going to drop on the humans. Think Assassin's Creed. The Flood can also get to a rooftop from the walkway and drop from there or take a mancannon that takes them to the building on the opposite side.

In this phase, things get hectic. The Flood will be dropping down from nearly every angle. The humans will really have to watch the skies. It will literally rain Flood.

FINAL NOTES

- Flood can sprint.

-It's helpful to the Flood if they are able to infect one or two humans off spawn.

- Make no mistake. This is a difficult map. If it seems like a walk in the park for humans, there are two possible causes. Either the humans are very well coordinated or the Flood are not playing well.

- Teamwork will be very helpful. For both humans and Flood.

- If most if not all humans are alive by the end of the first phase, they're in good shape.

- After the third phase, the humans who have survived have to hold out in a safe room for 30 more seconds. This safe room is a little bit safer and easier to hold out in. However, the humans' safety isn't guaranteed.

- Don't immediately jump down to the boat by the safe room. You still

have to survive for 30 seconds.

- Shoot the mine at the safe room to create a makeshift door with a crate. Don't punch the mine and die. You know who you are. clear.png

Many thanks to...

- Charles Stoot

- El Trocity

- Master Debaytes

- Orzium

- PA1NTS

- Pol Wah

- REMkings

- Shadow KryPTiiC

- The 0micron

- xtoungelovex

Videos

That's it! Thanks for reading and I hope you guys download City of Grey! :D

Edited by Zandril
  • Like 4

I'm surprised that you haven't made more Flood maps, Zandril. This one looks very well designed with a clear sense of gameplay in mind, and who doesn't like an urban setting?

The only problem with Flood maps on Forge Island is that they look too bright in my opinion, and it doesn't look really creepy.

Would the Plague gametype work well on this map? I could see it being very fun. :D

• Like 1

I'm surprised that you haven't made more Flood maps, Zandril. This one looks very well designed with a clear sense of gameplay in mind, and who doesn't like an urban setting?

The only problem with Flood maps on Forge Island is that they look too bright in my opinion, and it doesn't look really creepy.

Would the Plague gametype work well on this map? I could see it being very fun. :D

I think the map is difficult enough. The plague gametype would just make it harder

I'm editing the map with these changes. Soon, this version will be available for all to download. I just need to test it first.

This walkway is on a delayed spawn. It's basically a sneak route the Flood can use in the second phase. This is because the Flood sometimes run out of options (and fun clear.png:P) when there are too many humans in the second phase.

UamrpXw.jpg

How it looks from the inside.

59WCa8E.jpg

Edited by Zandril
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final Update

-One-way shield in the beginning has been replaced with a trait zone that still prevents humans from getting to the Flood spawn.

-Soft kill barrier in the rocket launcher spawn in the second phase has been removed.

-Removed a Shotgun in the first phase.

-Made the map unbreakable.

-Increased the spawn time of the second teleporter by one second.

-Added video. Credit to Mr Pokephile.

• 1 month later...

Awesome map! Its so simple, yet creative. Post more of your maps :) because they are good. Nice pictures, video and post  :thumbup: . I'm likely to be getting a membership so maybe I will check it out. Maybe? Pshh who am I kidding. Of course I will check it out !

Edited by тυcкєя
  • Like 1