Should Armor Lock Return in Halo 5? (BZ1's First K)

BeckoningZebra1

I wanted to do something special for my 1,000 post so I decided to write about my favorite armor ability, and why I think it should be in Halo 5. I hope you enjoy my 1,000 post, and post your thoughts below.

Back in Halo: Reach, my favorite armor ability was Armor Lock. There were so many unique strategies you could develop from it. It allowed you to survive explosions, it was perfect for CQC pummels, you could ricochet projectiles with it, if you were really a team player it even allowed a distraction. Armor Lock became the first thing people think of when they hear Halo: Reach multiplayer.

Halo_4_Concept_Art_by_Kory_Lynn_Hubbell_

When the armor abilities in Halo 4 were being showcased I got a pretty excited seeing the Hardlight shield. I thought that 343 had decided that rather than completely removing an awesome gameplay element from Halo: Reach they'd just alter it a bit, or at least that's what I thought. 

Turns out they did remove armor lock following Reach's run. Completely. The Hardlight shield falls hard in trying to satisfy those that hated armor lock and those that loved it. Where Armor Lock was versatile for many play styles, the Hardlight shield's only use is to deflect.

Well, I don't want to see the Hardlight shield return in Halo 5. I want to see Armor Lock return.

armor%2Block%2Bagainst%2Bbanshee%2Bhalo%

I don't want to see Armor Lock return in Halo 5 in a way that it would cause gameplay to slow down. The only way I can see armor lock returning is if the way it's utilized is changed. What I mean is, no more 8 second Armor locking. Eight seconds is way too overpowered, I realize that.

So what I suggest is quite simply make Armor Lock last for two seconds. When Armor Lock is used, it should deplete the entire refill cycle. The refill cycle can remain the same, I think it fits in quite all right with the current "play speed" in Halo. I also think that smaller vehicles such as the mongoose and the ghost should still explode when they ram into players in Armor Lock. But larger vehicles, such as the Wharthog and the tanks should only receive 1/3 or 1/the total amount of damage that particular vehicle can withstand.

I think if Armor Lock were presented in a way such as this, that it would not only provide balanced unaltered gameplay flow, but also more innovative tactics and interesting CQC battles. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please be sure to tell me what your thought are on this and if you'd like to see Armor Lock return in Halo 5.

-BZ1

• Like 6

#1: FIRST to comment on your 1000th post.

#2: TL;DR = He wants Halo 5 back, 2 second timer not 8, less damage to big vehicles.

#3: I still don't like armor lock, though that would be an interesting concept.

#4: Congrats on your 1000th post my fellow Patriots fan and Christian friend!

tumblr_mzf9nsrF131rs9ie3o1_500.gif

#5: :3

#6: May the force be with you always.

tumblr_lr0dplV3kL1r0ojhto1_500.gif

Edited by Darth Mayh3m
  • Like 3

i would say replace the hardlight shield with some sort of E.M.P bomb that you can place and you can either set it off by pressing the armour ability button or it explodes after 10-15 seconds and you have to wait for it to explode before the timer before you can use it again starts and what it would do is that it will drain the shields of players and E.M.P vehicles likes the plasma pistol when its fully charged but it has the explosive radius similar to spartan assault's E.M.P 

• Like 1

i would say replace the hardlight shield with some sort of E.M.P bomb that you can place and you can either set it off by pressing the armour ability button or it explodes after 10-15 seconds and you have to wait for it to explode before the timer before you can use it again starts and what it would do is that it will drain the shields of players and E.M.P vehicles likes the plasma pistol when its fully charged but it has the explosive radius similar to spartan assault's E.M.P 

That would actually be quite effective. The EMP bomb should make you immobile while setting it off though, as if you could just push the button then run behind cover whilst it detonates, that would be very annoying. It's a good idea though.

If it were possible for Armour lock to only be available on vehicle type maps, then yes. But, I'm not a huge fan of Armour lock, I find it quite over-powered and unfair. For me it ruins gameplay, it's just something that's not needed in Halo and quite the hindrance to a lot of players. Honestly, I wouldn't think anything of it, if it did return in Halo 5.

Sounds great! I always saw lots of potential in Armor Lock, I never understood why people hated it as much as they did... Properly balanced, with the right scenario, under the proper circumstances, correctly implemented, and it could be one of the most useful Armor Abilities ever.

The armor lock in Reach was way to powerfull! With these kind of alterations it'b be better, a lot better!

How many times I've almost thrown my controller against a wall when I shot somebody and he immediatly armor locked...

• Like 1