GSD's Guide to Building a Computer :3

GermanShepherdD

I recently got a new case for my computer and I am planning on moving all of my components to this new case(along with a new PSU and GPU). The case I currently have is a Mini tower and I am upgrading to a Medium tower. What if my motherboard doesn't fit? Is there anything I can do to make it fit? 

I recently got a new case for my computer and I am planning on moving all of my components to this new case(along with a new PSU and GPU). The case I currently have is a Mini tower and I am upgrading to a Medium tower. What if my motherboard doesn't fit? Is there anything I can do to make it fit? 

If the case is rated for bigger motherboards you can usually put a smaller one into it. PM me what case you are getting ant I will make sure that your stuff will fit.

:gsd:

If the case is rated for bigger motherboards you can usually put a smaller one into it. PM me what case you are getting ant I will make sure that your stuff will fit.

Nah turns out the mobo fit just fine but thanks for helping!!

This guide is really good maybe it should be a sticky + I'll be bookmarking this for later use. 

• Like 2

If I ever get my own computer, it'll definitely be either getting Alienware (I know, overpriced, but I like the lights), or make my own. It'd definitely be better than my Pentium 4 Dell with Windows XP, which can barely run Steam. xD

You can build a computer better then Alienware with lights and still be cheaper. You just gotta know what you're buying. 

• Like 2

Great guide my friend, Although from my experience, my brother and I found that an SSD drive is superior. That alone made a computer my father had which was a  dinosaur, boot like lighting... It had a 2003 motherboard, a Pentium 4 processor, only 512 MB of RAM and less than 1 gig of memory, and the operating system was still Windows XP basic 32 bit... It took it over 4 minutes to boot up and load... And just by cleaning it thoroughly inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, and compressed air, and them putting some thermal paste and a SSD drive, it booted up in less than a 26 seconds... And now on our old computer that were bringing into this century (don't wanna post the specs yet as it is still a work in progress) it made it go from a 21 second boot time to a 8 second boot time, but now with windows 8.1 it is now less than 5 seconds!

SSD's are the way too go. SSD's are the future!

Great guide my friend, Although from my experience, my brother and I found that an SSD drive is superior. That alone made a computer my father had which was a  dinosaur, boot like lighting... It had a 2003 motherboard, a Pentium 4 processor, only 512 MB of RAM and less than 1 gig of memory, and the operating system was still Windows XP basic 32 bit... It took it over 4 minutes to boot up and load... And just by cleaning it thoroughly inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, and compressed air, and them putting some thermal paste and a SSD drive, it booted up in less than a 26 seconds... And now on our old computer that were bringing into this century (don't wanna post the specs yet as it is still a work in progress) it made it go from a 21 second boot time to a 8 second boot time, but now with windows 8.1 it is now less than 5 seconds!

SSD's are the way too go. SSD's are the future!

For $50-$60 you can get a 1tb HDD. A 1tb SSD will run you $500-$600. SSD are the future but for now they are too expensive to get a big one. That is why a HDD is the way to go until they drop the prices. :3

• Like 1

Also be careful of the heatsink size. :3

There's plenty of big bunnies out there and some are so huge that they'll overlap RAM sockets.

Also make sure that if you have two pairs of different coloured RAM sockets, either put two cards in one colour or four cards in both colour, don't have one card in one colour and another in a different colour.

I forgot why. But it is better.

*Buys an Alienware PC*

HERETIC. BURN THE HERETIC!

Also guide on installing RAID 0 and RAID 1 for these computer building newbies. :3

Or become a master and RAID 24 SSDs! *evil face*

For $50-$60 you can get a 1tb HDD. A 1tb SSD will run you $500-$600. SSD are the future but for now they are too expensive to get a big one. That is why a HDD is the way to go until they drop the prices. :3

When installing Windows you can partition a space just for Windows on an SSD.

Alternatively, use your SSD as C drive and only put Windows and start-up stuffz on it, like your auto-update, security software and such. Then for things like Steam, games and software such as Office, Adobe and that, chuck that onto a 1.0/1.5 terabyte hard drive.

You'll get super duper fast time to boot Windows and to be able to log in.

Heehee, if you then get 2 of the same SSDs and a RAID array for performance, you'll boot so fast that you'll be hurled into the back of the room at the sheer seconds it takes to boot. :3

• Like 1

When installing Windows you can partition a space just for Windows on an SSD.

Alternatively, use your SSD as C drive and only put Windows and start-up stuffz on it, like your auto-update, security software and such. Then for things like Steam, games and software such as Office, Adobe and that, chuck that onto a 1.0/1.5 terabyte hard drive.

You'll get super duper fast time to boot Windows and to be able to log in.

Heehee, if you then get 2 of the same SSDs and a RAID array for performance, you'll boot so fast that you'll be hurled into the back of the room at the sheer seconds it takes to boot. :3

This is true but then you have to buy a SSD and a HDD when you only need to have a HDD. The SSD is optional. :3

This is true but then you have to buy a SSD and a HDD when you only need to have a HDD. The SSD is optional. :3

I know that 'tis optional, I'm saying that putting your operating system on an SSD and everything else on HDD that isn't start-up stuffies, such as Rainmeter and such.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

GSD's Budget PC Builder's Guide ;3

This is going to be a builders guide to a entry level budget build PC. This guide will be to help you find out what you should be looking for when building your first PC and do not want to spend a lot of money. I am going to be making multiple parts list for a computer that will give you the best bang for buck according to what computer you will be needing; be it a video editing computer or a gaming computer. The build is going to cost anywhere from $400-$550 depending on what deals you can get. (Note: These computers will not factor in the cost for a Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, and, Operating System just the computer itself.)

Computer 1 Parts List: Top end of budget.

• Case:​​ NZXT Source 210 Price ranges from $40 - $60 depending on what web site you buy from but Newegg currently has the lowest price for it. I will be using this as the case for all the build because it is a sturdy case and one of the cheapest.

• Power Supply: ATX 600w Price will range from $30 - $50. The 600 watt power supply will be more than enough to get you up and running for your first build and it will also give you room to upgrade in the future. [suggested part. Kentek power supplies are a good first choice]

• Motherboard: AMD Motherboard Price will range from $50 - $80 You want to look for the AM3+ motherboards it does not matter what the size of the board is because the case can take ATX to mATX motherboards. [suggested part. the 760GM-P23 is a good first time motherboard ]

• CPU: AMD CPU Price will range from $90 - $110 Phenom II x4 This is a quad core cpu and should do the job for most games. (make sure when you are buying the cpu that it comes with a heatsink.)

• RAM: 8gb Price range $60 - $70 Any type of DDR3 ram will do but i would look for ram that is clocked at 1600mhz if possible. [suggested part. g-skill rip-jaw 8gb]

• Graphics Card: Price range $100 - $110 When looking for a GPU you want to find cards with a minimum of 1gb onboard vram.  [suggested parts. AMD R7 260X or GTX 650 ti]

• HDD: 1tb Price will range from $40 - $80 1tb should be more than enough to go into your first build. [suggested part. western digital black]

• Optical Drive: CD-WR Price will range from $10 - $20 Any optical drive with sata will do. (optional)

I will be adding more computer parts list like the one above every so often so if this one does not work for you just stand by for the next one or you can just PM me and i can make a custom build tailored to your needs. Hope this first build list helps out a little. ;3

• Like 3