Xbox One Sold 3 Million Worldwide In 2013

Akali

Xb1GRN610.jpg

The year 2013 may be old news now, but Microsoft wants to tout one last stat before we fully commit to the new year. The company says that people bought more than 3 MILLION Xbox One consoles worldwide last year since its November 22 release.

The number was revealed in a blog post by Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, strategy and business for the Xbox brand.

this is what Microsoft had to say to their fans and supporters.

"Thanks to you, 2013 was an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox," Mehdi wrote. "With Xbox One we saw the most epic launch for Xbox by all measures. We are humbled and grateful for your loyalty and delighted by the millions of hours of gameplay and entertainment enjoyed on Xbox.

Together, we ushered in a new era of games and entertainment with Xbox One. Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013. It’s been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November.

Since our launch, demand for Xbox One has been strong, selling out throughout the holidays at most retailers worldwide. We are continuing to work hard to deliver additional consoles to retailers as fast as possible.

The reaction from our fans was mind-blowing for our team. As we see your excitement, your energy and your hours of gameplay, we continue to be inspired to do great work – for you.
Whether you’re racing through the streets of Prague in “Forza Motorsport 5,” creating crazy weapons for zombie destruction in “Dead Rising 3,” exploring the Colosseum in Gladiator mode in “Ryse: Son of Rome,” helping your children create their own personal zoo in “Zoo Tycoon,” or enjoying epic multiplayer battles, we love that you’re having fun on Xbox One.  

We also love that you are seeing the promise of an all-in-one entertainment system. Millions of hours of live TV have been watched and millions of hours of app entertainment have been enjoyed. We are proud to have the most passionate, engaged, and simply the best fans in the world. It was fun to share the holidays with so many of you.

We’re excited for the year ahead and will be working hard to bring Xbox One to more fans and more markets around the globe. 2014 will be a promising year with many more great games on the way for Xbox One including “Titanfall,” “Watch_Dogs,” “Project Spark,” “Sunset Overdrive,” “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” “Destiny,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” and “The Elder Scrolls Online,” among others. More games, more features, more content, more fun – all coming your way this year.

Thank you for making 2013 truly epic for Xbox and here’s to 2014!

my imput: This is a lot of consoles sold in a short time and its pretty impressive that they got past 3 million consoles sold even with all of the negative things people said about the xbox one before it came out so congratulation Microsoft.

where i found out about this: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/06/xbox-one-sold-3-million-worldwide-in-2013.aspx

Microsoft's thank you letter: http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-january-thank-you

• Like 3

finally MS reveal there numbers if I am honest I am surprised and not surprised the question is how much did the PS4 sell ( I will look up it ) :)

we havent seen sonys since the 2 million yet but we may do just for you ranger :P

Xbox One will continue to sell well across the board. Even with a 2 week disadvantage to Sony, I think this is a great number for MS and Xbox one.

indeed it will both companies are successful because they have millions of fans out there who will provide them money even though there are barely any game on there at all

Regardless of which console people find better, both companies are still going to be rolling in the millions! To be honest I wish both Next Gen console were released later on in the year, but I can't complain, I'm happy both consoles are out.

yeah both companies are making millions because of there fans and i may be an xbox fanboy but if sony passes 3 million im not going to say their lying just so they can catch up to microsoft (or are just hiding the numbers) im going to say congratulations and make a post similar to this one

we havent seen sonys since the 2 million yet but we may do just for you ranger :P

indeed it will both companies are successful because they have millions of fans out there who will provide them money even though there are barely any game on there at all

yeah both companies are making millions because of there fans and i may be an xbox fanboy but if sony passes 3 million im not going to say their lying just so they can catch up to microsoft (or are just hiding the numbers) im going to say congratulations and make a post similar to this one

I don't like how people say that MS does not care about their fans, they added some new features to the Xbox One, then listened to all the concerns from the community and potential buyers and made changes to improve the console.

Sony hid the fact that they were going to try to do some same things with their console, but instead of telling everyone they lied to their fans and said they were the good guys and would secretly patch certain settings in an update hoping that their fans would not find out.

(Yes I am mainly referring to DRM) 

• Like 1

This is really interesting. With Microsoft selling 3 Million and I'm guessing plus Xbox One's its no wonder why the company is doing so well these days. Though Microsoft cannot just focus on their brand new console. I'm sure that the Xbox 360 sol very well too as they seem to be lowering the price of them just a little bit now. With the Xbox 360 being out for almost a decade now, it is very interesting to see how gamers are going to react to this new console from Microsoft. So far it looks great!

I have to admit, this is amazing news, and I'm proud of Microsoft for changing the policies that held them down in the beginning, and for admitting their faults, they've really matured over the years, and I'm proud to see such an expansive and large video game market with so much variety and creativity to be seen.

Thanks for the news Yang :thumbsup:

And congrats to MS, I might have my opinions on your past, but you guys rock!

So it looks as if all the controversy that they caused at their reveal subsided and they still did pretty well in sales. lol

Pretty crazy I still dont have one but I plan to at some point. The more I watch video of games on that system I just really wanna get my hands on one. :)

Can't say I'm surprised. Controversy sells :D I'm willing to bet that most of those people bought it because of the reversals, and saw that Microsoft admits they made mistakes and decided to give them another chance. I plan on getting one later this year. It looks awesome.

I think the main reason I got the Xbox One over the PS4 was the future Halo games I don't wanna miss out on! Playstation doesn't really have any exclusives I'm interested in and I've been an Xbox player since the release of the first console so it was a pretty obvious choice.