post-64146-0-01396900-1388912745_thumb.jpeg

Map Name: Furnace

GT: n0mnom321

Link to file: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/3f142ba3-eb65-41c6-9e57-8f38c0d9d072

Supports: Extraction, KotH, Oddball, Slayer, CTF

Best played with: 1v1 or 2v2 Slayer

Hey everyone! this is my newest map, furnace. Furnace is a small map for 2-4 players and is based around the theme of a smelting factory. The map is set on the erosion canvas and is inspired off of adrift. The aesthetic details feature aesthetic furnaces, lava pits (or molten metal pits) and many pipes that really makes it feel like a place, not just a map. The outer paths of the map are connected in a sort of C-shaped design, that I intended to give a circular flow to the map (although it has only been tested once, so I am not certain that it works lol) and a central area where there is a main power position and a power weapon (sticky detonator); unlike my previous maps, I had a general Idea of what the map was going to be like before making it so I don't think that there is any lazy cover. The map is still in very early stages of testing, and I have yet to remove some pieces I think make the bottom of the map and the blue base cluttered, but other than that, I would appreciate any and all feedback and hope that you like the map. Cheers and a belated happy new year!

Weapons:

Sticky Detonator(drop)
Designated Marksman Rifle
Battle Rifle
Magnum
Assault rifle
Auto-sentry(drop)
Fragmentation Grenades

PIctures:

post-64146-0-16138300-1388911474_thumb.jpegpost-64146-0-33890600-1388911727_thumb.jpegpost-64146-0-32540900-1388912378_thumb.jpegpost-64146-0-91228700-1388912837_thumb.jpeg
post-64146-0-43517500-1388911427_thumb.jpeg
The corner 2/2 in the picture above is where the sticky detonator spawns. The Y, cross at the back of the picture leads into the tunnel connecting red/blue.
And the overview picture:
post-64146-0-40861700-1388913115_thumb.jpeg
CLARIFICATION: the battle rifle is on the stairs of the 2 storey tower, and the DMR is next to the lava pit near the jump down, at the bottom of the map. the magnum is right next to the red spawn (I think it is ok because it's just a magnum, but Please tell me if I'm wrong). The assault rifle is at the top tunnel that is connecting red and blue base. the sticky detonator is at the top of the tower, a very exposed position.

Not all of the pictures are up on my 'recent screenshots'? I will post more pictures once they are on the 'recent screenshots' list on halo waypoint.

• Like 3

Thanks! Could you probably help me test it if you have time? You can send me a FR or invite @ n0mnom321, or I'll send you an invite.

Should I replace the autosentry with a hardlight shield? To combat the sticky detonator... Although when I first tested the map the sticky detonator was almost just as difficult to get a kill as with normal weapons.

Thanks! Could you probably help me test it if you have time? You can send me a FR or invite @ n0mnom321, or I'll send you an invite.

Should I replace the autosentry with a hardlight shield? To combat the sticky detonator... Although when I first tested the map the sticky detonator was almost just as difficult to get a kill as with normal weapons.

I would be happy to help you test it. :) My Gamertag is: Spartan 343ICF. Add me and when we have time we can do it. ;)

The arrows representing the zig zag tunnel are not accurate representation of the zigzag tunnel. The turns are much more subtle. It is more like a tunnel with walls (or was it one wall? I forgot...) in it to cut sight-lines and make the battles in the tunnel more interesting, but the walls are attached to the inner sides of the tunnel, making the player move around them. I just call it a zig zag tunnel because I don't know what else to call it.... :D

Or were you referring to the placement of the zigzag tunnel?

Wow! This is a very good, creative, amazing map. One of the few, that are not actually copied from other peoples creations. I like how there's orange in the map! Just some advice, if you plan on making another map, try to make it a little brighter, not to be a rude or anything. Everything else on this map looks right on target. Keep up the good work! Later on, today I might consider on downloading your map and trying it out. But I am real busy with homework, like jammed packed. Well, have a nice rest of your day :P.

Edited by тυ¢кєя
  • Like 1

No, not very major. No need to wait, I would rather take your advice into consideration when updating so that I don't have to wait another 2 weeks before another update.

Basically, I'm going to fix blue base, as I think it looks messy, as well as the bottom flooring of the map which is messy as well. There was a grenade drop outside the map that I have to delete, and the jump up to the walkway, large vantage point doesn't look aesthetically pleasing yet, and the 5/5 flats near the main furnace look out of place so I'll have to change those. I'm also going to add pulse grenades to the drop-down from the zig-zag tunnel and there is a pipe that extends to the bottom of the map that seems out of place while you are at the bottom of the map, but not when you are on top, so I'll either remove it or connect it to the wall beside it. I'll probably make some other minor changes if i spot anything else. I currently have no plans to change the layout and these changes are mostly towards aesthetics; I still would like advice on layout and other things to fix any gameplay issues or broken flow in the map.

I'm going to be making a 1v1 and 2v2 version, in which the 2v2 version will have the assault rifle changed with a sniper(and also pushed slightly towards red base) and the autosentry with a speed boost.

Please give all the feedback you can! I won't be updating for a long time after this saturday... maybe after your lobby is done, we can play a game on it(I joined your halo customs lobby). :)

I have just updated the map. I did all the things stated in my previous post and a little bit more. :)

Edit: I am now aware that the gravity volumes do not always stop you from going up onto the platform, L and the cylinder next to the main furnace. I have placed a soft kill zone and a kill zone there, but I will not update the link yet, It's pointless to update just because of the placing of 2 kill zones... ;)

Honestly, I didn't enjoy the game we had on this map today. The flow was very messy and random. It seemed like I was just running around trying to find players without any real strategy because of the lack of neutral power positions. The way everything was arranged was quite a mess.

There were some areas in the map that were left untouched because of the way the map is segmented. I also noticed some awkward spawns.

Then there are all the long hallways.The moment players enter these tunnels and walk forward for a while, they have nowhere else to go. They'd be completely trapped and would only have two directions to go. When making these kind of long hallways, the least you could do is give players walking through them more options.

Hallways with only two entrances aren't always bad though. We see that with Guardian's shotgun hall. But if they're this long, then it's a problem.

I honestly think that the best way to fix these problems would be a major reforge of the map with more defined routes and power positions.

Edited by Zandril

How do you create good flow in a map? I honestly did'nt feel anything was wrong when I was playing.

How do you make a power position neutral? I thought the walkway, large was a neutral power position because it takes the same amount of time to get there from the red base as from the blue base. I built the map with team game types in mind, so maybe FFA doesn't work. The long hallway is supposed to make the sniper spawn very risky, and it is also a short route from red base to blue base... I meant it to be a sort of risk versus reward...

I must say I have to refine the spawns, though.

It's no point in reforging the map If I don't know how make make the flow anyway. What specifically do you recommend I do? Thanks!

I worded that wrong. I meant that the power positions need to be a little more defined. Flow generally refers to the direction and pace of movement through a map. There is no secret formula that guarantees a map will flow well, but there are some good standards that can be followed.

I feel like your map doesn't flow very well because there are some areas that have way too many movement options, there are some areas that are way too predictable, and there are some areas that were completely untouched.

I understand the risk vs reward thing you were going for. It's just too long and one-directional IMO.

Flow: http://www.forgehub.com/threads/next-level-forging-flow.147903/

Edited by Zandril

Hmm, ok. Which places had too many movement options and which places were too predictable? I know the back path was not used very much, (except by me) probably because the entrance was very tight and there was already a small shortcut below the furnace. I'll remove the small shortcut and widen up the entrance. Do you think that would help?

How do you make the power position more defined?

This is what I am going to change in the next update (for now)

I'm going to replace the gravity lift with a ramp. This will open up the entrance to the back path and since the start of the ramp will start from the back path, this path will be used more often. I will also widen the path.

I'm going to add a pathway from the end of the tunnel up to the tower. This pathway start from a bend replacing the end wall of the zigzag tunnel, curve around the secondary furnace, and end on a platform atop the 2 pipes sticking out from the lava pit. Then there will be a block, 5/1 there connecting this platform to the tower. This will make the routes of the map a complete circle, unlike before, where is was C-shaped. I hope this will improve the flow of the map.. After all, it is loosely based off adrift, so it should have the same circular flow. I will also edit the tac jump to the walkway so that it is much more visible.

At the end of the tunnel, you can only move down or back, so adding a route from there to the sticky detonator spawn could open movement there.

I will add a corner 4/4 to the walkway to create sort of a balcony to shoot from. Since there is a railing, there will be a small incline to allow players to go up.

For the long hallway, I will bend it so that there is no direct sight line to the other side of the tunnel, but you still only can move forward or back to keep the risk versus reward.

These updates will only be implemented next Thursday. Forgive me if it will seem as if I am bumping the thread when the new update arrives. ;)

The update has been made!

here are the details:

The back path has been widened, and the gravity lift has been changed to a ramp. This has also caused the entrance to the path to widen, and in the most recent test it has been used many times.

A path from the zigzag tunnel to the sticky detonator spawn has been added. The flow feels much more circular and less random now. The walkway, large has a 4/4 corner attached to its side, making it much more powerful as a power position as there is more cover and more space now.

The sniper hallway is still as long, but it is now bent, so the sight-lines are half as long. :)

more minor changes:

sniper's ammo decreased to 1 clip

grenades now spawn in different locations to encourage movement at the bottom of the map, now there is also a plasma grenade

respawn points revamped and replaced

Aesthetic changes

Re spawn zones added (in my play test there were 2 re spawn zones in blue base, but it seemed like I spawned there too often.) Now there is only 1 re spawn zone + a general re spawn zone for the half of the map closer to blue base. And similarly for red base.

thanks to all of you for the feedback!