Aether

Zandril

“When you spend time worrying, you’re simply using your imagination to create things you don’t want.”

Hey everyone. I'm back again to show you guys my latest map in Halo 4. This map is called Aether. It is a symmetric map and can be played with 4-8 players.

psE3tpC.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Recently, I've been making a lot of 1v1 and 2v2 maps. What's funny is that all those maps were 4v4 maps originally. They were just too small to accommodate 8 players which is why I turned them into 1v1/2v2 maps. As a result, I got worried that I no longer have the capability to scale a map for 4v4.

3BRo7wf.jpg

6tKp3z6.jpg

To see if that's true, I started Aether. I'm happy to report that 4v4 works beautifully in the map along with 2v2.

I tried my best to keep my piece usage as clean and consistent as possible and I think I did a mighty fine job at it. I ran into some budget problems but I managed to piece everything together in the end.

ejQn5ra.jpg

Ppp1T8H.jpg

Vg8vqFb.jpg

The map can play 4v4 and 2v2 on Slayer and CTF. I don't plan on adding KotH or Extraction because there are no good places for the sites and hills because of the way the map is structured. 

To make up for the loss of those two gametypes, I made the map compatible with Headhunter. For the lulz :)

2CuQwkw.jpg

zb6kKRg.jpg

LKfRxn2.jpg

Weapons and powerups (4v4)

- Damage Boost (150s)

- Rocket Launcher (180s)

- Sniper Rifle (120s)

Weapons (2v2)

- Sniper Rifle (90s)(0 spare clips)

- Sticky Detonator (120s)(1 spare clip)

In 4v4, the Damage Boost spawns in the middle of the map while the Rocket and Sniper spawn on each side of the map in bottom Green and Gold respectively.

Aether has plenty of jump ups that will allow players to get the upper hand on their opponent when used at the right time.

This map was inspired by Orion, Haven, and Arknado (formerly The Ark). You'll find some things in the map that will remind you of those maps such as Haven's drop downs and curves, and Arknado's and Orion's use of the Artifact bases.

PY8NOqy.png

NOTE: Most of the pictures are slightly outdated in terms of the map's appearance.

Many thanks to (in no particular order):

-TheFatedFire

-TheAlm0ndKiller

-Astiir

-The Psycho Duck

-RegrettedKarma6

-oOZeroFlameOo

-itsDaxx

-a Chunk

-basketskate3

Edited by Zandril

Map updated (Check OP for newer screenshots)

- Reforged Red and Blue base to lessen the segmentation.

- Improved the jumps from Green landings to Green balcony.

What I'm trying to do

- Remove the lifts and replace them with a back route from the bases to Green.

- Make the ramps from mid to Gold similar to the ramps from mid to Green.

- Add a lift from bottom Gold to top Gold.

- Connect top Green and top Gold with either a curved bridge or a jump.

So, I just played this with Oasis. I've gotta say, you've definitely stepped up your game this time. I couldn't find anything particularly wrong with the map in it's current state, though I may need to play it more. I'll try to get some more games on it and see if there's anything that need to be done. Well done Zandril. Well done indeed :)

• Like 1

I want to mention that I'm going to hold off on considering any of these contest submissions for features until after the contest has been judged in order to avoid stepping on anyone's toes.

That's fine. I'm still updating the map anyways. I recently just made a lot of major changes too.

So, I just played this with Oasis. I've gotta say, you've definitely stepped up your game this time. I couldn't find anything particularly wrong with the map in it's current state, though I may need to play it more. I'll try to get some more games on it and see if there's anything that need to be done. Well done Zandril. Well done indeed :)

Thanks, Squally. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Major Update (Check OP for screenshots)

- Removed the lifts at the bases and replaced them with a back route from the bases to Green.

- Made the ramps from mid to Gold similar to the ramps from mid to Green.

- Added a lift from bottom Gold to top Gold.

- Connected top Green and top Gold with a bridge.

- Replaced one of the ramps at each base with a crate jump.

- Added an Overshield in the middle.

- Moved initial spawns.

- Refined CTF spawning(?)

The new changes look like they'll improve gameplay, for sure. However, I think some of the changes could be done better aesthetically. The two that stand out to me the most are the curved walkways in the back and the lift in Gold. The pipes in the lift stick out like a sore thumb among the rest of the aesthetics, which feel very Forerunner. There are also a few different ways to make those curved walkways look a lot better. Hit me up on XBL sometime and I can help you out with some aesthetic tricks :)

• Like 1

The new changes look like they'll improve gameplay, for sure. However, I think some of the changes could be done better aesthetically. The two that stand out to me the most are the curved walkways in the back and the lift in Gold. The pipes in the lift stick out like a sore thumb among the rest of the aesthetics, which feel very Forerunner. There are also a few different ways to make those curved walkways look a lot better. Hit me up on XBL sometime and I can help you out with some aesthetic tricks :)

FR sent! :)

Final update

- Added height variation at the bases to make them more interesting.

- Blocked off one of the ramps at the bases to define the flow in that area better.

- Swapped Overshield for Damage Boost.

- Cleaned up the curved path at the back of the bases.

- Refined CTF spawning.

- Moved initial spawns for both teams.

Many thanks to everyone who helped with the map.

Edited by Zandril