Proton

Zaelkyria

Hi, after the map Neutron, here is Proton.

Proton

2overv10.jpg

GamerTag : SnR Zaelkyria

Map : Proton

Description : A small 4 vs 4 map.

Weapons : 

- x7 BRs ( 10s ) 

- x2 Magnums ( 45s )

- x1 Sniper ( 120s, 8 munitions )

- x1 Shotgun ( 120s, 6 munitions )

- x4 Fragmentation grenades ( 30s )

- x1 Plasma Pistol ( 60s )

- x5 CCs ( 30s )

- x2 Stucks ( 30s )

- x1 LR ( 45s )

- x2 Pulses ( 30s )

- x1 Overshield ( 117s )

Game Types : 

- Slayer

- CTF

- Oddball

Screens : 

Overviews :

1overv11.jpg

3overv10.jpg

2overv11.jpg

Red Base : 

4base_10.jpg

Blue Base :

5base_10.jpg

Green ( Sniper ) :

6green10.jpg

Gold ( Shotgun on the bottom ) :

7gold10.jpg

Middle ( Purple ) :

8middl10.jpg

9middl10.jpg

Bottom blue base : 

10dess10.jpg

Top blue base : 

11dess10.jpg

Gold Way : 

12alla10.jpg

Hole : 

13trou10.jpg

Random screenshots :

1410.jpg

1510.jpg

1610.jpg

forge_11.png

• Like 1

Dat marked overview. :P

The map doesn't look ok. I just feel iffy about some things about it.

The first (and I actually noticed this in some of your other maps) is the neatness. I'm all about forging a competitive map and making it play as good as possible. But that doesn't mean you can't make it look pretty. A map's aesthetics is what sticks to player's minds. Makes them remember it better.

This map doesn't look very neat. Mostly because you were very inconsistent with your piece usage. So many of the different textures created quite a bit of visual noise.

Next would be some areas in the map that might not be conducive to good gameplay. In the 8th picture, the rocky area looks a little tight. This is mostly because of the 1x1 thins you placed to act as jumps. Speaking of the 1x1 thins, I don't like them. If you're adding a jump to a competitive map, it'd be a lot better if it's in the map's geometry. It should be built-in. The 1x1 jumps look so extremely forced.

I assume they're a jump by looking at the pictures. But even if they're not, they still contribute to making that area a little too tight.

Now, in the 9th picture, I just hate how that ramp is set up. The way the Ramp XL is structured makes the tunnel under it have an awkward roof and it just doesn't look very good.

There's also a very lazy wall in the 10th picture. I don't see any other way the wall could be used other than a sightline blocker. Lazy cover.

And what's up with the floating Ramp XL/Door combination? They look odd.

Edited by Zandril

Thanks for your feedback.

Honnestly, I created this map without ideas, so I did it on the moment, without reflection.

This map took me all the blocs that I can use.

- No building blocs

- No bridges

- No doors

- No naturals

All the blocs $10 are used. 

So. I'll try to make a second version, cleaner.

And, the " odd " thing is an artefact. :3

I'm really happy for this interesting feedback.

Thanks Zan'. :3

• Like 1

SNIP

No problem, man. Glad I could help. Those pieces also don't look like artifacts. They just look like floating pieces. Or maybe that's just me. :P

"I created this map without ideas, so I did it on the moment, without reflection."

I would advise against that. If you want the best chance of creating a great competitive map, you should more or less know what you want to build. Preplanning.

Of course, this is no absolute and a great competitive map can still be built by just winging it. But maps are USUALLY better if they're thought out before they were built.

You should update dem pictures. ;)

So I gave the newer version a look, as requested. It's definitely looking better than before but there are still a few problems.

Something that I really noticed is the abundance of unnecessary pieces. One I noticed are the braces sticking out in top Red and top Blue. These braces make those areas too tight for comfort and just end up cluttering the area.

Another would be the block by the Sticky Detonator. I think you could remove that and move the Sticky Det to the middle of the sightline across to increase risk vs reward in that area. Not to mention the block also makes the area a little too tight.

Another unnecessary object would be the Y crosses at bottom red and Blue. They don't do much for the map and end up cluttering the area.

The last one I noticed is the block 1x1 thin by the lift. This isn't really necessary because it makes the area too tight (again :P) and it blocks players view from the Scattershot. Players should be able to see when a weapon spawns. This promotes movement and can create encounters.

Now, speaking of the lift...

It launches players to a platform that is in a different elevation compared to those around it. Normally, this would be fine but this platform isn't connected to the elevated areas. I'd put a ramp in there.

In the middle, it definitely improved but I think you could move the middle structure more to the center of the atrium. This gives players more breathing room at the foot of the ramp leading to the sticky det spawn and centers the overshield spawn to the sightline across top Red and top Blue.

Those are the problems I've noticed so far. Keep in mind that I only flew around the map in Forge.