A Solution To Sprint Benefiting Both Parties

Darkrain491

Sprint. Arguably the most debated and controversial element in the modern Halo environment. With many pros and cons that make it very hard to decide between keep or drop. To be clear, I support the drop argument, but the ability of faster map crossing without putting lower skilled players at the disadvantage of being unable combating overly effective strafing seem good. However, as many of you may have seen on other threads, I have come up with which may be the best solution yet. It's simple, but I feel it can and would be very effective at resolving this very frustrating issue.

The Idea:

Basically, in a nutshell, it takes the main arguments for sprint; faster paced gaming, better map crossing speed without creating overly effective strafing and simple realism of the player, and gives those benefits without the sacrifice of skill gaps or creating new unnecessary ones.

It does this by removing sprint, and replacing it with this mechanic: Base player strafing and backwards movement is the same speed of that seen in Halo 3, while moving in a forward direction is 110% faster than this, giving the ability to cross maps faster without the risks of being unprepared for firefights, resulting in cheap deaths. No "get out of jail free" card for mistakes, as now you cannot run faster than someone chasing you down and shooting you at the same time. Flag Carriers are no longer at a disadvantage from being unable to sprint. Able to jump larger gaps and shoot at the same time.

It also gives benefits to things outside of player movement. It gives players that use Automatics a buff that does not change the weapons mechanics. In a typical Automatic vs Precision confrontation, The Precision user will attempt move backwards to prevent the Automatic user from doing both of the following: staying accurate, and preforming pummels. Now Automatics can catch up to these players and as result be able win more straight up conflicts in this style. 

In conclusion, I feel this is the best mutual agreement for the argument. It prevents the issues of sprint and the overly effective strafing of a universal faster base speed

• Like 1

Sprint isn't really a problem for me, I find it unnecessary and really don't use it very often. I feel like using sprint leads to faster deaths (for me at least).

But in regard to your OP: 

This is basically what Halo was before Sprint was introduced if I'm not mistaken, isn't it?

This idea has been tossed around so many times but I still have mixed feelings about it. I can't say this is a solution because only two parties of the Halo community benefit. 
I like sprint for Machinimas it adds some atmosphere to the Machinima. So obviously you're alienating a whole section of the Halo community when you do this which isn't fair even if that section is small.
Also there have been some great custom games that benefit from sprint and the whole sprint animation so again you're alienating another section of the Halo community even if its small.(HaloCustoms is a whole site dedicated to Custom games.)

The best solution would to have increased player movement speed(as stated above) but leaving sprint as an option within the game settings. It will be as simple as "sprint off" or "sprint on" . Standard matchmaking won't have sprint while custom games or any special playlist have the option to do what they choose. 

The problem I had with Sprint in Halo 4 wasn't that I couldn't shoot (that balanced it with a risk/reward factor), but the huge difference in base movement speed and sprinting speed. To encourage its use, 343i made the sprint speed very fast while making the base speed relatively slow, compared to other Halo games (which negatively impacted strafing tactics). Had the base movement speed been on-par (if not a little faster) than Halo 3's and sprint speed was less of an increase (maybe 15%?), then it would be a feature only worth the risk when traversing long distances to get into the action on Big Team maps, etc. Make it where sprint is disabled for a specific amount of time when you are shot, and that removes the problematic running from combat.