Full Power of The Xbox One Not Yet Realized

BeckoningZebra1

I've recently stumbled over an interesting excerpt from the latest edition of Xbox Official Magazine that I'd like to share with you all:

Having fun hacking people's arms off in Ryse, or getting stamped on by Aoife's (she claims) unstoppable Drivatar in Forza Motorsport 5? The best is yet to come, you may be unsurprised to hear. Speaking to OXM as part of a lengthy piece on the future of Xbox One you'll read in our latest issue, Microsoft Studios exec Phil Harrison has promised that future Xbox One games will make use of the platform's various capabilities in far more interesting ways.

"When you've been around for a long time, you know what platforms are like," he began. "The games you celebrate and are proud of in the first year, when you look back at them from the perspective of ten years from now; you'd be amazed at the difference. It's a combination of the tools getting better, developers beginning to understand the unique architecture to work with."

The claim that developers are able to do more with hardware they're used to is hardly electrifying, of course. It's already been suggested by CD Projekt's lead engine programmer Balázs Török that Microsoft will unlock "hidden" performance boosts for the Xbox One - a prediction he bases on Microsoft's sharing of new techniques for development on Xbox 360 across 2007 and 2008.

This probably won't amount to anything as dramatic as the discovery of another gigabyte of RAM, but Harrison insists that there's less of a "glass ceiling" for eking more juice out of the Xbox One, thanks to the much-touted and still largely ethereal benefits of the Xbox Live cloud.

"Crucially this time around, there's the power of the cloud and what that means for game design. That can grow and scale indefinitely - of course there is a practical limit but in effect you're uncapped. And I think, from a player's perspective, that's the most exciting part; that it's not just about the chips in the box under the television or wherever you position your console of choice, it's about what the platform will provide you with over time. We've not had that in a console generation before."

This growing process ostensibly applies to both performance and features. There are, Harrison told us, plenty of ideas Microsoft has yet to fully implement - whether couched as part of a game, or in the form of an app, or in some other form entirely. "There are more ideas and vision for what games can be than available time to build them into the launch games.

"So for every feature you've seen in the launch titles - SmartGlass, GameDVR, use of voice with Kinect - there are five features in the queue waiting to come out, either in an update or a sequel or in a future version of a game. The kind of creative and technical innovation that we're seeing in the industry - it's a really good time."

Source

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 5

The Full power of the Xbox One and PS4 has not yet been realized. Mostly because both are new.
Look at games that came out when the 360 was first released? Now look at games now. We won't reach the maximum full potential until around the end of the hardwares lifespan. 

Edited by Buns
  • Like 2

Didn't Microsoft say that the Xbox One would be utilizing the cloud to help with its graphics? I thought they said something along the lines of... "The Xbox One will use the Cloud to stream in worlds and environments in realtime" or something... Or maybe I'm mistaken... But I think this was all back during E3 when the Xbox One had the "Always Online" and DRM stuff. So sadly I don't think this is still possible. And even if it does it won't be as good as it was intended.

• Like 1

I took a long time for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStations 3 fullest potential to come out for Xbox it was gta 5 for PS3 it was grand turismo 6

Although the stuff inside both of them is more like a PC so we should start seeing bigger games quicker that really make use of both consoles. :) 

• Like 1

This cotton pickin' sliver of information makes me want to dance around a large Telephone Pole incessantly for hours on end...

That's Americanese for "I'm really FLOWERING exited".

Edited by RedStarRocket91
Inappropriate language removed. Do not use asterisks to bypass word filters.
  • Like 1

The Full power of the Xbox One and PS4 has not yet been realized. Mostly because both are new.

Look at games that came out when the 360 was first released? Now look at games now. We won't reach the maximum full potential until around the end of the hardwares lifespan. 

Exactly. Look at Call of Duty for example... 

Here is Call of Duty 2 which came out on the Xbox 360's launch... 2005. 

call-of-duty-2-20051025010159046.jpg

And here is Call of Duty:Ghosts which this image is from the 360 version, and its the end cycle. 2013.

Xbox-One-2013-Call-of-Duty-Graphics-Old-

The second image looks a hell of a lot better.... And all of this improvement was made in a single consoles short lifetime. And this is also call of duty. Which isn't known for making massive ground breaking enhancements to its engines or improvements in its graphics department... So if COD for crying out loud made that big of a leap in terms of graphics... Damn, just imagine this new generation!

I mean just think about it for a sec...In just less than eight years and in one generation we saw a massive improvement bigger than the entire leap of going from the original Xbox to the Xbox 360!

It is pretty amazing how much the gaming technology as well as its developers have evolved, As well as new born companies so to say... But you know, Just wait for 2018-2022 to come around when they will finally  realize the power of the consoles... And BAM!!! New consoles are selling. Oppsy-doops. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...