UNSC vs Modern Military

Doomchicken

I've seen this debate a few times, but none since Halo 4, which changes the playing field significantly.

So, the scenario is, a UNSC Invasion Fleet with four and a half million Marines and all the relevant vehicles, air support, etcetera, is invading the USA. The USA and any nations willing to help it have to defeat the invasion force to win, the UNSC has to occupy the entire US and force any of it's allies to surrender. Unfortunately for the UNSC, a fluctuation in the time-space continuum resulted in the UNSC Fleet having no ammunition for it's spaceships, ruling out orbital bombardment.

Air

I think that in the air, the UNSC would prove victorious. The Broadsword is equipped with energy shields, which means it would be able to resist modern weapons, and it's firepower is impressive enough that it could shoot down any enemies.

The Pelican in Halo 4 has lasers, which means any helicopter challenging it would be decimated. We haven't seen the Hornet or Falcon yet, but they probably have lasers or shields.

Armour

This is a tricky one, but I think the modern forces have the edge, mainly because the Scorpion and Warthog aren't very well designed from a practical standpoint.

The Mantis is powerful, but I doubt it could take on a modern tank column. As for the Mongoose... Well, it's a non-factor, really.

Infantry

In terms of infantry, the modern forces would have the edge, simply because of the MA5C's awful range, and the power of modern weapons.

Special Forces

The UNSC has SPARTAN-IVs, so in this section they would absolutely dominate. ODSTs are also superior to modern special forces, and they can be dropped from orbit, giving them practically infinite access to target locations.

What do you all think?

If they're able to build a time machine, the very fabric of spacetime will be torn to shreds!!

AIR

Aerial battles would be difficult to determine the winner. Sure, Broadswords would annihilate anything we have today, but Pelicans do not have energy shields and the charge time on the laser could bog their performance down. A Pelican versus an Apache helicopter would be an almost even match.

VEHICLES

The Scorpion would be toast, and every type of Warthog except the regular Warthog would be a threat if they aren't taken out quickly. But again, the Marines on these Warthogs are not well-protected, and a stray round to their faces will take them out. The recoil on the heavier Warthog weaponry could be problematic as well, since it could tip over the vehicle unless they're balanced properly. We must also consider that the UNSC cannot train Marines to drive to save their lives, and they would probably drive over a cliff or crash into a wall.

INFANTRY

Modern forces wouldn't even have to do anything. Marines are notorious team-killers in Halo 4, are too busy shooting corpses, or hardly put up a fight.

SPECIAL FORCES

We're doomed.

This argument is based on my observations in-game and of course make fun of how bad UNSC personnel are in Halo 4.

Very interesting topic allow me to share my thoughts

Space
You forgot to count this in. UNSC wins right away no question.
Air
UNSC wins because Space!!! Plus energy shielding technology that greatly improves the durability of any aerial vehicle. ALSO HOW CAN WE FORGET THE VULTURES, HAWKS, AND SABERS MAN. 
Vehicles
Well to be fair. We have a Mammoth they don't. Not to mention rocket hogs and gauss hogs will easily penetrate any modern armor of todays. You have to remember the UNSC use much more effective materials then tanks of today. So the scorpions will provide an even match. I mean have you seen how great the UNSC Vehicles really are just play Halo Wars and find out.
Infantry
The Assualt Rifle is actually a lot more effective then you think. Did we win this war only using Spartans? They played an extremely important part in winning the war in fact they basically won the war.
Special Forces
Yep I think it is safe to say we got this downpacked. 

It is very safe to say that the UNSC puts up a very good fight in all categories. The UNSC also has like quadrupled the resources and population We won't even need the Spartans and we would probably put up one heck of a fight. 

• Like 3

(Lots of stuff)

I didn't count space because the modern military had literally no space power. 

Vultures I forgot to count, but they would provide an advantage. Same for Hawks. Sabres, however, were prototypes that were all (IIRC) destroyed when Reach fell.

The Mammoth would be a big glowing target for all modern artillery, so I doubt it'd manage much. As for the Warthog weaponry, sure, it's great, but Warthogs aren't exactly well armoured.

The Assault Rifle is actually awful compared to modern weapons. Sure, it beat the Covenant, but an M4A1 could do the same so much easier.

This heavily depends on gameplay from Halo or lore from Halo. The Assault rifle has the range of a real life shotgun, really, but in the lore it's range is muuuch higher, eh?

The in lore range in 300 metres. 

Modern assault rifles have about double that.

I throw in my thoughts and i believe modern warfare is more compatible to erase the UNSC than you thought

Air

almost all air force is quick, a pelican can't move in top speed and fire at the same time (as i know), an attack from an F 22 will easily destroy a pelican

and there is a huge amount of variety in modern warfare air space

Armour

also here a standard abraham tank is way faster than a scorpion so i believe speed is essential for the modern military.

Infantry

both the modern guns is better in range an larger varety, sure the UNSC have an larger caliber but that won't help more a person die as easily with an .22cal as an .50cal

Special Forces

sure they have the Spartan - IV, not in a huge amount, but we have the Avengers (jokes aside), i belive there is an special force that the "ordenary people" dont know about that only uses when in real danger like the spartan 2 was in the begining

so the speed and variety in products is our advantage and the sheer number, i don't believe russia will just sit there and watch UNSC extinct USA, who said there only in for USA no the whole planet

Regardless if this is the UNSC vs Modern Military there is no doubt in my mind that the UNSC will dominate solely through interstellar superiority. This is a battle and you're not supposed to hold back on your opponent.

Although that is a good point with the Air but wasn't a saber in Halo 4? Or was it something else? Eh whatever that spaceship that you drive at the end of Halo 4 can easily destroy some of our best jets of today. Not to mention it can go tO SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

8eabb9f08469b6ce88db7964b6a6ac9e.jpg

Regardless if this is the UNSC vs Modern Military there is no doubt in my mind that the UNSC will dominate solely through interstellar superiority. This is a battle and you're not supposed to hold back on your opponent.

Although that is a good point with the Air but wasn't a saber in Halo 4? Or was it something else? Eh whatever that spaceship that you drive at the end of Halo 4 can easily destroy some of our best jets of today. Not to mention it can go to space

The spaceship at the end of Halo 4 is the Broadsword. The UNSC wants to occupy the US, not destroy it, so MAC bombardment might not be the best route.

Lots of stuff

The Pelican is Halo's chinook, not it's F22. The Broadsword is Halo's answer to the F22, and the Broadsword has energy shields. As for a Chinook vs the Pelican, I think the Pelican would win with it's lasers and rockets.

I agree with the Armour and Infantry points.

As for Special Forces, there's 500 SPARTAN-IVs, compared to around 1500 Delta Force and Seals combined. I'm willing to bet a SPARTAN-IV can easily take three Delta Force members or Seals.

If Halo is supposed to be futuristic, why would the UNSC make it's military(Special Forces aside) worse then in the 21st century? I don't know why they would.

Because it's better for gameplay.

But, in lore, they've not had a war for, what, 400 years? That must have had a bad effect on their military. That, and the Navy taking all the budget, leaving the infantry with dregs.

The spaceship at the end of Halo 4 is the Broadsword. The UNSC wants to occupy the US, not destroy it, so MAC bombardment might not be the best route.

Wanting to occupy or not, speaking with a fairly logical mind if they had the capability to bombard from space they absolutely would.  Take out any military installation standing in your way without setting foot planetside, then invade once you are guaranteed as little resistance as possible.  Sure, there will still be pockets of it, but the goal is to make things as easy for yourself as possible, and bombardment from space is the easiest way to handle that situation before occupation would even begin.

if they had the capability to bombard from space they absolutely would. 

UNSC would win because they have ships and ships have orbital bombardment and so any threat would be easily killed with the touch of a button. :)

Hmmm, I didn't really consider this but it would make the fight a cakewalk for the UNSC, but then there's no debate. I'm going to edit the OP to rule out space bombardment.

Hmmm, I didn't really consider this but it would make the fight a cakewalk for the UNSC, but then there's no debate. I'm going to edit the OP to rule out space bombardment.

There modern military would be destroyed by the UNSC anyway just chug out Spartans as read about in the Halo novel harvest a Inni solider used a 20th century SMG on SGT Johnson with no effects. :) 

Air:

UNSC. Broadswords with energy shields, and Pelicans with M8C Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear cannons (AKA Spartan Lasers) would dominate.

Armour:

Rocket turrets and Gauss cannons will easily penetrate the armour we have today. They also have the mammoth for transporting vehicles and loads of marines, and it's armed with Rocket Turrets.

Infantry:

You only talked about the MA5C. Some of the Assault Rifles have far superior range and accuracy, e.g. the MA5D and the MA37. It's not just Assault Rifles, we also have the Battle Rifle and the Designated Marksman Rifle for longer range battles, and the SAW can shoot pretty far when fired in short controlled bursts :)

Special forces:

SPARTANs and ODSTs. 'Nuff said.

• Like 1

Yup, this is one thing i've always thought of in halo. Do you really think that we would still be reloading weapons, or even using guns? It seems by the year 2550, we'll be shooting lasers out of the fingertips of the suit.

True, but I think Bungie wanted the humans to be identifiable with, and have them seem human, not just another on the list of aliens.

Honestly I think we would have the technology that they have in Halo a couple of hundred years before 2557. We would advance quicker than that but would struggle to find all the resources to power them. I think the UNSC will always win unless they have no ammunition at all or very small units. Even though this scenario is completely unrealistic, I think it is interesting to think about. I would like discussing the thinks in Halo compared to today and see how close we are to achieving them. ;)

I would like discussing the thinks in Halo compared to today and see how close we are to achieving them. ;)

For quite a few of the things, we're already there. For example, railguns are being tested by the US Navy, active camouflage is possible in some forms, and Lockheed Martin have designed an exoskeleton called HULC.

Yup, this is one thing i've always thought of in halo. Do you really think that we would still be reloading weapons, or even using guns? It seems by the year 2550, we'll be shooting lasers out of the fingertips of the suit.

Ha, yea. At least laser vision.... That would count for something right?