What Has Happen to Halo ?

TheMightyLlama1

Today, me and a couple of friends of mine were sitting in class discussing Good and Bad Shooting Games. We thought Call of Duty died after when MW3 came out, and people who played it, bragging about their KD, weren't real gamers. And we also thought Gears of War took ALOT of skill to be good at, hell even decent! Then we thought BattleField 4 was the rookie, BioShock: Infinite was great, and the Best game in our minds and the only game we wanted to play was Grand Theft Auto V. Then we said "What happen to Halo" we talked about how Halo was once the top dog of all Shooters, and how Halo 3 and Reach was so much fun. Then when Halo 4 came out, some of my friends got, I got, and I was disapointed. The Campaign was alright, no where near as good at Halo: CE's. The Mutiplayer was a big problem to me. Then, MLG doesn't have tourtaments about Halo anymore and 343i kept taking out some fun gametypes and overpowering wepons. We only played the game for about 10 days, and decided to just play Black Ops II, despite talking smack about it. Now with Halo 5 coming out, this will be I guess the only shooter were gonna play, along with Ghosts on Xbox One, unless RockStar makes GTA V for New Consoles. I'm pretty sure Halo 5 will bring back gamers into the Halo Universe and play a couple of games of Slayer.

• Like 2

I agree, Halo 4 was not as good as Halo 3, Halo CE, Halo Reach etc. But it had its advantage over other Halo's. I mean the campaign was fine, I thought the characters were very well made, the story was creative, it was fun and a little bit easy, some missions were just like was this suppose to be hard xD? But I do think that some weapons are over powered, but that's because they are trying to keep the weapons balanced and such. I'm not going to complain about a good game, I don't see why Halo 4 sucked.. so there were some mistakes here and there but it's not like it was the worst game ever made. I'm sure Halo 5 will be better. 

• Like 1

Well, when you find a fantastic game (be it Halo 3 or Reach or whatever) you'll naturally compare any later games to that. I personally really enjoyed Halo 4, though I'll admit the storyline seemed a bit rushed and disjointed. I've also talked to a lot of people who enjoy playing online, but aren't necessarily epically talented at it. They seem to really enjoy the new additions to the online play. Different things just work for different people, and there's no way to make everyone happy.  :spell:

• 2 weeks later...

Halo Reach started this down spiral (the reduce in populations, massive changes to the game, 1-50 ranking system removal, etc.) and 343 has done a decent job of trying to bring things back. I actually enjoy playing Halo 4 matchmaking.

MLG peaked in the Halo 2/3 days and they didn't bother to pick up Halo Reach.

If Halo returns to the foundation that Halo 2 and 3 established (1-50 ranking system, split the playlists for ranked and social, keep a long-term XP system, etc.) then there will be plenty of people willing to try out Halo and will stick with it for a long time. Until then I'm content with Halo 4.

What happened to Halo was they wanted to reach out to a bigger population like C.O.D. and other games thinking that the people who have loved halo since halo 1 will still go along because of who they are. Maybe if they would have followed the path that was set in front of them they could have made a game with promise and interest. The multiplayer is not fun at all, as much fun as  getting 1 shot by a shotgun pistol from a person in a corner every 10 seconds is, it has no point. Oh hey, i'm going to go run at them and die and oh who cares... we win, we lose, we still get the same amount of experience as the other team. Also Halo 1, 2, 3, reach, all had great components which allowed teams to have a fair standing and weren't gifted guns by just spawning with them or getting 4 kills within 3 deaths. Back in the day we used to have to fight for the standing on the map to get the weapons, the vehicles, the sniping spots but now you can act like a retard and get kill streaks. There's no strive to get better or to be a better gunman which is a big reason the game fell off. If you made a game like halo 3 but with different weapons, maps and such then it would be great. Honestly, don't want to hurt your feelings, but id'e rather the population of halo fans go back to halo 3 or even reach and we just play that forever with updates and changes, like a pack that's original, Somewhat Different, Different, Very Different, OMG is this halo? so if you want to just keep playing the original but with different maps every so often and such, it would be a far better multiplayer then whatever halo 4 has because what halo 4 did was skipped the little things and went all the way to OMG is this halo? which of course some people would like but most the halo 1-3 fans would rather be at the Original - different category which bungie kept in in all of its games. YOUR HANDED A GREAT GAME (abandoned by its great owners for idiotic reasons), IF IT WORKS DON'T FIX IT. YES CHANGE IS GOOD BUT NOT A WHOLE MILE COMPARED TO THE 3 FEET BUNGIE WOULD TAKE. I'm sorry, ill stop my rant. I just really wish they would pay attention to the fans that got the game to where it is and not the fans that are playing cod to go quick scope and pwn those 12 year old noobs. Halo had a nice, fun community that differed from like C.O.D. where everyone just bi*&$#@ and sheet. But now its alllllll falling apart. But its okay, ill still get the next coming halos at least for the story (which wasn't even that good, really boring and quick). I mean if your a first time game company, learn to go with your fans and not be some company that thinks they know everything and know what everyone wants. If your also going for money, then get your name out for a game that everyone likes and not one that's trying to follow games that are successful as it and especially when you have a chance to bloom with a game that's made it so far already. Bungie felt the community, steak birthdays? omg that was sooo fun lol! The only mistake they made was killing off johnson. R.I.P. :(

If you didnt know what the Steak Holiday thing was, it was where a bunch of staff from Bungie would get on at once and they would all be highest level and with special helmets and if you staked them, which was winning like 60% more kills or something then they would send a steak to your house for free. How cool is that :P?

just sayiinnnn

• Like 1

See the thing is Bungie was more active, and involved with their community... Bungie VS the World, Recon Armor, Blue Flames, Easter Eggs galore, better weekly updates, more active forum reps (that went by the alias Ninja or Flaming Ninja...). 

But see, Bungie didn't get like this until after Halo Combat Evolved... Until mid to late Halo 2.... That's when their forums exploded with frequent users, and more people discovered Halo (through Xbox Live)... After that everything was nothing but smooth sailing...

They need time. Their first game put them on the radar, but the second put them on the map. Everything else was a gift.

343 is in the shadow of Bungie, and under the towering figure of the massive and intimidating Halo Community. They had a lot of high expectation and a almost perfect image and reputation to live up to... Rather than try to live up to it, they tried a different approach.. They broke away to do their own thing. Now that they did hopefully just like Bungie, their second game will make them a respected and feared company...

• Like 1

I seriously think Halo 4 felt more like a Halo game than Reach did. HUD was similar, it had the Halo 2 / 3 health system, classic weapons e.g. Carbine, Battle Rifle, Beam Rifle, etc., similar melee system (Not having to take a player's shields down completely before a one-hit melee kill). Sure it does have it's flaws but it's a damn fun game. I thought it was better than Reach. I'm not a huge fan of Reach.

Not sure how Halo 4's campaign was lacking in any area. I really don't understand how you can say Halo CE's campaign was better than Halo 4's. Halo 4 had an excellent campaign, great story, good graphics, and just about everything Halo CE had and more. I'm not sure if you played Halo CE but it's campaign was very repetitive and consisted mostly of series of flipping switches. Don't forget how every level looked the same towards the end either. Not to say that Halo CE wasn't a good game, but Halo 4's campaign is better in every aspect. 

To your main point though, I think Halo 4 lost the competitive drive needed to keep players coming back for more. 343 tried to change their award winning formula, they wanted to reach casual gamers and competitive gamers and as a result basically lost both within 6 months of release. If Halo can go back to its competitive roots and stick to their winning formula, rather than trying to invent a new one, I think Halo can become everything it used to be.

I'm hoping 343 will listen to the community with Halo 5 and return Halo to most played game on XBL.

• Like 3

Not sure how Halo 4's campaign was lacking in any area. I really don't understand how you can say Halo CE's campaign was better than Halo 4's. Halo 4 had an excellent campaign, great story, good graphics, and just about everything Halo CE had and more. I'm not sure if you played Halo CE but it's campaign was very repetitive and consisted mostly of series of flipping switches. Don't forget how every level looked the same towards the end either. Not to say that Halo CE wasn't a good game, but Halo 4's campaign is better in every aspect. 

To your main point though, I think Halo 4 lost the competitive drive needed to keep players coming back for more. 343 tried to change their award winning formula, they wanted to reach casual gamers and competitive gamers and as a result basically lost both within 6 months of release. If Halo can go back to its competitive roots and stick to their winning formula, rather than trying to invent a new one, I think Halo can become everything it used to be.

I'm hoping 343 will listen to the community with Halo 5 and return Halo to most played game on XBL.

People like CE so much because nostalgia clouds your minds. 

Then again I love Halo 2's campaign the most because it was so difficult on legendary and had a boss battle at the end.

Halo 4's campaign was repetitive as well. Most of the time, you were on the ground shooting Prometheans with a Suppressor. Halo 4 felt too linear, whereas in Halo CE you can explore the huge levels and mess around a little if you want to. I really couldn't find any mission where I could do this in Halo 4. Halo CE is my favourite Halo game, because of it's large levels, revolutionary gameplay and mystery, and I don't think anything will be able to top it. But hey, it's just my opinion :)

I think if they re-introduced more challenging ways to reach awards in Halo 5, then that itself would bring back allot of players. I mean 343 has been shelving out a ****-ton of XP, which leads to a crap load of 130-Hipsters.

I mean all I thought about in Halo: Reach was reaching Inheritor rank. Even now I've only made it to Legend in Reach. In Halo 4 it took nearly half as long to reach 130, and even then there really wasn't much of a reward for reaching that rank. Only a Bird emblem that I didn't like wearing: even though I still thought it looked cool. I think it's probably since pretty much everyone has the Emblem by now, so I won't wear it.

Anyway after I reached 130 the drive that kept me playing started to wain. I kept trying to get the commendations, but eventually I quit playing.

Everything about the Campaign and Spartan Ops was pretty fine to me. I think in my opinion the story is nearly on par with Reach's campaign: which I hold higher then any of the other campaigns.

I think the real problem was that Halo 4 was too... rushed. I feel like if they had waited until Summer 2013 to release the game, then most of the post-release problems everyone experienced in 2012 would have been nonexistent. To be honest I felt like the game wasn't complete when it came out. I mean now, if I had Gold subscription, I'd probably go play Halo 4 since I've been hearing it's taken a turn for the better lately with all the updates.

Anyway I think the #1 thing I want out of Halo 4 that we currently do not have right now is being able to rank up past 130.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love all of the Halo's (Not a fan boy just really love the Halo story and games), regardless of where they are going, I think they've done a bang up job so far. Of course I have my likes and dislikes but when you love a story to a video game, it's, well for me difficult to dislike it. 343i is now taking on this big responsibility with continuing the Halo series and I believe they'll look at what people have said about Halo 4 and improve. Not just that but they have good knowledge of the series and I believe Halo 5 will be amazing. Halo 4's Multiplayer was fun too, yes a lot of online games have some issues and what not, but I though the multiplayer was fun.

After Bungie,343i needed to step up to the challenge of handling a giant game series known as Halo,even as it was falling out with ODST and Reach.343i,honestly,seems like they can change gamer's thoughts after Halo 4[Halo 5 trailer seemed decent enough].It's too early  to judge 343's actions for the Reclaimer trilogy,and I see them as a good fit.Here's going to you,343 Industries!Bungie did kind of mess up with the last two[they owed Microsoft two more games]but Halo,in my eyes,will live forever. :thumbup:

After Bungie,343i needed to step up to the challenge of handling a giant game series known as Halo,even as it was falling out with ODST and Reach.343i,honestly,seems like they can change gamer's thoughts after Halo 4[Halo 5 trailer seemed decent enough].It's too early  to judge 343's actions for the Reclaimer trilogy,and I see them as a good fit.Here's going to you,343 Industries!Bungie did kind of mess up with the last two[they owed Microsoft two more games]but Halo,in my eyes,will live forever. :thumbup:

"Don't make a girl a promise if you know you can't keep it."
-Cortana

post-78108-0-19239500-1387841129.jpeg

Bungie did kind of mess up with the last two

What? O___O

ODST and Reach were awesome. ODST had a fun campaign and allowed us to play from different character perspectives. Oh and Co-op was quite fun, especially firefight (Though, it was a bit difficult to find ammo fr me personally). Similar to Halo Reach, you were traveling with 5 other Spartans in the campaign rather than just one. Reach overall looked stunning, just graphically and visually. Campaign had so much detail and was decently lengthy. Firefight and forge were amazing, you could really recreate Halo 3 maps too, aside from other things. Multiplayer was also amazing, it was way-way changed, crazy how much they jumped between Halo 3 and Reach. Maps were good, Multiplayer worked really well, Weapons were I think balanced on their own agenda, great customization (Sure, I would have like more but it had a good amount going on) and so on. Just thought I'd mention some things, because I can say this with spirit when I say Bungie haven't failed with a single game... aside from Halo Wars (Just didn't like it but I'm sure there are a few people on here who enjoyed it, I did love the cut-scenes though!)

Halo,in my eyes,will live forever. :thumbup:

Agreed. :laughing:

• Like 1

Games tend to have hiccups when they switch from one company to another, and the Halo community is easily one of the most stubborn group of people I have ever seen or seen talked about. :P I feel that no matter what they did it would have gotten the same attention from the community.

The first three Halo's were 'lucky' to be released when they did. The first one was right in the time when FPS were getting wildly popular. Honestly the first one was a lot of running and gunning a solid story, but not a lot of substance. Then Halo 2 came out, that sort of jump started the online play and FPS were wildly popular so that was the go to game. It had a confusing and rushed campaign, without Halo 3 it is a pretty terrible story, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt as they probably had Halo 3 planned. With Halo 3 Bungie sort of just manipulated the hype really well. In all honesty none of the games have been 'that good' in any regard.

Now with Halo 4 they had quite a dilemma, they were making a FPS in a market where those games are on the decline, losing popularity, they had the community to work with, and it was an entirely new company making a popular game for the series. Given the circumstances I think they did pretty good, not great though.

I think they have gotten to the point that if they want to continue the franchise they need to expand into other markets, and that is exactly what they're doing. A TV show is coming out and the book series are going strong. WIthout these things it will die as a series. 

• Like 1

Well.. I have been posting this as my status for the past 2 days, here is what I think happened to Halo:

"Bungie had to leave Halo when they decided to leave. Bungie knew how successful Halo was/is. Bungie, in their last Halo game (Reach) added things that other FPS had that had never appeared in Halo. They said it was all they wanted.... but that was not truthful.... this comment was aimed at 343 to deceive them to believe that these things were the future of Halo. Bungie then left Halo with a split community, and started on Destiny... which has many Halo like similarities. Bungie set Halo and 343 up to die, and they want to be the ones to kill it... and Destiny is their murder weapon. Look at what most of the Halo fans are looking forward to....Destiny. Just thinking out loud. " 

I did leave out some other details... but you get the point.

• Like 1

Well.. I have been posting this as my status for the past 2 days, here is what I think happened to Halo:

"Bungie had to leave Halo when they decided to leave. Bungie knew how successful Halo was/is. Bungie, in their last Halo game (Reach) added things that other FPS had that had never appeared in Halo. They said it was all they wanted.... but that was not truthful.... this comment was aimed at 343 to deceive them to believe that these things were the future of Halo. Bungie then left Halo with a split community, and started on Destiny... which has many Halo like similarities. Bungie set Halo and 343 up to die, and they want to be the ones to kill it... and Destiny is their murder weapon. Look at what most of the Halo fans are looking forward to....Destiny. Just thinking out loud. " 

I just find that hard to believe. Bungie wanted to go their own thing, decided to hand Halo over to 343i so they could finish the Halo series. They've been working on Halo for about 10 years, I'm not surprised they wanted to work on something else. The fact they added in such features like Armour Abilities and what not, doesn't make it that they wanted to throw Halo under the bus and finally end it. Halo needed something new, something different to keep up with the pace of other FPS games and all that jazz.

Edited by ShockGazm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all:

Bungie simply wanted to do something new. They finished their part of the Halo Saga amazingly (in my opinion) and even let some of their workers become a new company for everyone who still wanted to be a part of the creation and finale of Halo. I grew up with Bungie, they're the most down to earth company I know the Head of bungie (before Halo was thought out and sorry guys his name slipped my mind atm :( ) took money out of his own bank account to fix a problem one of their games had (when they still made games from their basement) and give it back to the people who bought it. Also, LMAO! "Destiny... which has many Halo like similarities." What similarities? That their both sci-fi games made by Bungie? No, the only similarity between the two are that they're made by Bungie (seeing as how Halo is a Sci-Fi game and Destiny is a Science Fantasy game).

You also have to remember; Many Halo fans (like myself) are Bungie fans aswell. They are a truely amazing companies with both great ideas AND very down to earth personalities. It is truely about the game and how much fun they and other people can have on their game. Sure you can say that "All companies run on money" but in truth Bungie runs off of the happiness of their fans and the fun times building their game. They go above and beyond to make great and fun games and always have. Accusing a great company of throwing their franchise under the bus just because you don't like what the next company up brought to the table is kind of sad. Personally I can't wait forboth Halo 5 AND Destiny to come out. They'll both be AMAZING. And I'm sure Bungie (along with many other great companies) will bring us into the new age of FPS'S.

• Like 1