campaign

Jon Chapman

I know a lot of work went into creating a more serious, "emo" tone, and the graphics are great, but just in terms of sheer gameplay, H4's campaign falls sort of its predecessors, IMO. There isn't that sense of vast space you had in CE or 3, and the geometry of the environments you fight in are kinda... Meh. Where are the huge, sprawling, hour-long levels? H4 felt like I was just playing chapters in a short story between cut scenes. As if the actual combat was just an afterthought. Also, at one point, you're just teleporting to different missions. I literally felt like I was on the stage select in Diddy Kong Racing.

There were a COUPKE cool parts. But there isn't any comparison to the long missions in Halo 2, (or CE or 3 for that matter.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with H4 after being disappointed by Reach. The mechanics, the feel, the weapons.. It's a crispy game. But they need more of the passion and vision that Bungie had in regards to the Campaign missions.

I know a lot of work went into creating a more serious, "emo" tone, and the graphics are great, but just in terms of sheer gameplay, H4's campaign falls sort of its predecessors, IMO. There isn't that sense of vast space you had in CE or 3, and the geometry of the environments you fight in are kinda... Meh. Where are the huge, sprawling, hour-long levels? H4 felt like I was just playing chapters in a short story between cut scenes. As if the actual combat was just an afterthought. Also, at one point, you're just teleporting to different missions. I literally felt like I was on the stage select in Diddy Kong Racing.

There were a COUPKE cool parts. But there isn't any comparison to the long missions in Halo 2, (or CE or 3 for that matter.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with H4 after being disappointed by Reach. The mechanics, the feel, the weapons.. It's a crispy game. But they need more of the passion and vision that Bungie had in regards to the Campaign missions.

a better way to put halo 4s camapin is this

see a cutscene

shoot somthing

press a button

that sums it up about right :troll:

• Like 1

I really actually liked the campaign.

Obviously It wasnt what we expected but,

after all It was kind of challenging and fun to play.

Yeah I guess It was easy

but, on the other hand I dont think so.

and I actually think I like this shorter missions

so your not spending 3 hours on one single mission.

Considering that Bungie Is not the creator of Halo 4

there were a few changes In the game.

• Like 1

Personally I have to agree with you Jon. Halo 4 was godd heck the campaign was good, but it just didnt live up to Halo CE, 2, 3, or ODST's campaign. But I feel as though its not just Halo 4, but nearly eveey new game. I used to spend days on campaigns now I spebd around 6 hours.

• Like 1

This was the best halo campaign since Wars(ODST/REACH were... Meh.)

I enjoyed this heavily and have done several replays if each mission; though Infinity to Midnight seemed best whereas Dawn-Forerunner didnt seem as good.

Still, amazing story, gameplay, graphics and design!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The story sucked, gameplay was good but not on the scale of Halo 3, and the "feel" of the campaign was no where near as great as Reach's...

The set up and execution of Reach's campaign was better than even Halo CE's; it was a story of hopelesness and survival, not a grand dramatic tale about being a super soldier hopping around the gaalxy blowing everything up, it was subtle but great, with nice gameplay too.

Also (due to my obsessive behavior in fixing things I deem not right) in 3 hours I came up with a slightly altered Halo 4 campaign plot which fills in all the cracks, completely makes sense (Because some of it was a tad silly), and builds up to a grand ending.

It just saddens me that in 3 hours I was able to do what 343's story team clealy didn't have the ability to do, why? They're the well paid, talented, and respected individuals whose job it is, so why couldn't they?

• Like 1

Being a die-hard halo fan, I never expected to abandon Halo 3's campaign for Halo 4 but I did. Halo 3's campaign wasn't great either but for some reason nostalgia seems to get in the way of unbiased judgement.

Basically, Halo 4's campaign was good. SO many people bash it for wrong reasons. It was 343's first try and I say they did pretty damn good. Especially since they beat Halo 3's campaign experience, in my eyes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are several problems with campaign

1. Weak soundtrack 

2. Lack of interesting characters (Stereotypical empathetic side-kick: Lasky + Stereotypical aggressive female marine: Palmer + Stereotypical ******* officer: Del Rio) 

3. Corny dialogue (Del Rio looking at Promethean hologram on Infinity: "Where the hell did those things come from??") 

4. Transparent and cliche attempts to portray the Chief as a "victim" (what are we, 5? We already know the military is hell! We already know it messes people up! Post-modernism!)

5. Lack of human cities to defend (this is what made Halo 2-3 feel epic and familiar: fighting through Mombassa's streets gave you the comfort of being home on earth while giving you a sense of excitement knowing that you were about to assault Regret's cruiser in Metropolis and kick the covenant's ass out of town) 

6. Lack of subtlety with the Forerunners (Halo 1-3 did a good job of making their race enigmatic and mysterious, making the players wonder what they looked like, how they built everything, etc. 343 gives us these ugly orc-faced aliens that don't even fit the description of "gods" as the Covenant call them - I found the Didact to be more stupid looking than intimidating. I pictured the Forerunners as elegant and beautiful beyond imagination, but instead 343 goes Star Wars on us gives us the cliche bald, pale-skin, humanoid aliens that we've already seen a million times. I was very disappointed in the appearance of the Forerunners - it ruined a lot for me. 

7. You had to have read the books to understand what the **** was going on in the campaign. 

There are several problems with campaign

1. Weak soundtrack

2. Lack of interesting characters (Stereotypical empathetic side-kick: Lasky + Stereotypical aggressive female marine: Palmer + Stereotypical ******* officer: Del Rio)

3. Corny dialogue (Del Rio looking at Promethean hologram on Infinity: "Where the hell did those things come from??")

4. Transparent and cliche attempts to portray the Chief as a "victim" (what are we, 5? We already know the military is hell! We already know it messes people up! Post-modernism!)

5. Lack of human cities to defend (this is what made Halo 2-3 feel epic and familiar: fighting through Mombassa's streets gave you the comfort of being home on earth while giving you a sense of excitement knowing that you were about to assault Regret's cruiser in Metropolis and kick the covenant's *** out of town)

6. Lack of subtlety with the Forerunners (Halo 1-3 did a good job of making their race enigmatic and mysterious, making the players wonder what they looked like, how they built everything, etc. 343 gives us these ugly orc-faced aliens that don't even fit the description of "gods" as the Covenant call them - I found the Didact to be more stupid looking than intimidating. I pictured the Forerunners as elegant and beautiful beyond imagination, but instead 343 goes Star Wars on us gives us the cliche bald, pale-skin, humanoid aliens that we've already seen a million times. I was very disappointed in the appearance of the Forerunners - it ruined a lot for me.

7. You had to have read the books to understand what the **** was going on in the campaign.

I'm wondering if you even payed attention to the campaign.

Seriously, the forerunner needed to be mysterious?

Anyways, the gameplay for Halo has always been pretty trashy as it has always been walk to thing, shoot it, continue. Sometimes they sugar coat it too like taking down TWO WHOLE SCARABs and you can use A HORNET OR A SCORPION!!!! Now there was just a lot of button pressing. But regardless no one should have expected anything from this regard.

The Story was pretty solid too, even following the terminals most should get the jist of what is going on. I think some easily forget that it should be treated as a first game of a series because a 4 is tacked on to the name.

Edited by WonderWombat
  • Like 1

The story line was okay, It, in my opinion was better than Halo 3's which I personally think has the worst story line. The only thing I hated in this campaign was the final boss fight was a spam click event. Spam Click X to win the game.... Like really >.> This isn't street fighter.

Thecampaign stunk. Halo reach'swas cooler

By that logic, all of the campaigns suck because I think halo 2's was the best. Just because one game had a 'cooler' story line does not mean it stunk. It simply means it lacked something in another field that the prior game had. It was not as bad as Halo 3, and kept my attention, so I personally liked it besides the end boss fight.

• Like 1

Reach sucked; it completely threw the well established lore out of the window (Since when did te battle take MONTHS? And since when was the Autumn on the ground during the battle?) 343 actually are creating the books and game to fit with each other, make sense and reference each other! (Rewarding people who give one about the story and read expanded universe)

They make the characters people you care about- In Halos 1-3, the Master Chief was just basically a regular protagonist- Strong, Silent, soldier who survives everything and doesn't care unless he can kill aliens. In 4, they make an effort to make the two main characters people you care about, you see emotion and a bit more realism in the Master Chief never seen before (books not included).

In Silentium, it is stated that the Ur-Didacts look (Halo 4) is very unusual for forerunners and unique, he is an exception.

I. Terms if story, Halo 4 is the best yet. Gameplay only suffered as it simply isn't possible to do battles on the scale of The Ark and The Covenanr with the kind of graphics Halo 4 had on the 360. That's tech limitations, not choice.

I'm wondering if you even payed attention to the campaign.

Seriously, the forerunner needed to be mysterious?

Anyways, the gameplay for Halo has always been pretty trashy as it has always been walk to thing, shoot it, continue. Sometimes they sugar coat it too like taking down TWO WHOLE SCARABs and you can use A HORNET OR A SCORPION!!!! Now there was just a lot of button pressing. But regardless no one should have expected anything from this regard.

The Story was pretty solid too, even following the terminals most should get the jist of what is going on. I think some easily forget that it should be treated as a first game of a series because a 4 is tacked on to the name.

I played not just Halo 4 campaign, but Halo 1,2,3,ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars. And after playing all of those titles, I will have to say that Halo 4 campaign was lacking. Yes, the Forerunners were ugly as **** and I blame the design team for that. The music was terrible in comparison to Halo 2 and 3, the gameplay was the only improvement. 

Who ever said the forerunners were this beautiful good luooking race everyone seems to presume. Until halo 4, we had only seen their armour in Legemds which wasn't even full canon!

The music was different, I like it, it certainly feels like you are on an alien world by yourself. The new composer wanted to give his own feel to it, which he pulled off brilliant. It's just a shame the two best songs and some if the best in the entire trilogy, were only heard once. I do miss the classic halo theme but that's what I can replay Halo 2 and 3 for:D

And explain what was lacking apart from your two already mentioned points.

Well, i personally liked the halo 4 campaign. But i feel that it should of been longer. Like halo 2 campaign or something. And they should of made the legendary and heroic difficulties a lot harder. In previous halo's like H3, Reach, or H2 the legendary and heroic were terrifying. But hey, im not in charge of that so what ever. But the storyline was amazing though.  :thumbsup: