Precursors and The Flood (Spoilers)

Meyerm

According to the books and the explanations on the Halo wikis, The Flood are the result of surviving Precursors turning their genetic material into dust. The dust "became defective," and once merged with biomatter when prehistoric humans tried to use it to improve livestock, it mutated them and created the flood. It's stated that The Flood were to be used by the Precursors to get revenge on the galaxy and make sure their creations never rise against them again (Forerunners). However, if there was a purpose to the Flood, how were they "accidently" created by "defective" dust? Now this raises another point, suggesting pure Prescursors still live. They could just be making the best of a bad situation, putting their accident to work. However, if the flood were an accident, what was the purpose of creating Precursor bio-dust in the first place?

I'm lost on whether the Flood's creation was intended or not, but I will say this: I believe that, regardless of their original motives, pure Precursors still live beyond the Galaxy (similar to how Forerunner survivors exiled themselves beyond the galaxy). I also believe that the Precursor survivors are planning to return (Halo 5/6?). For anyone who says precursors ARE Flood, my take has been that the original Precursors are similar to the flood, but without the ability to infect, and without the hive mind mentality.