xtoungexlovex

FINAL VERSION

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/e57115f8-9422-4289-899c-caefb3d10283

Finishing touches and added Headhunter! SKULLTACULAR!

yPSOlGu.jpg

update 11/20/2013
raised floor behind red and blue to make the jump a lot less forced, players no longer need to crouch to make it.
weWKPf0.jpg
kept the block 1x4 as a platform so players could stand on and shoot to the left or right and crouch to be in cover

also fine tuned spawning.

i believe the map is in its final stage. all thats left is alot more playtests to ensure there's nothing left i need to tweek. the only thing right now im not sure of is ordinance

also blocked of my little hiding spot haha fun while it lasted
CLQQJqg.jpg

update 11/17/2013

taken zandril's suggestion to move battle rifle / carbine to areas with more traffic so i moved them to the top of the bridges where the barricades used to be also took Rayner Sutardja's suggestion to fix bumpiness in the tower 3 stories.

In playtests we found spawns at the back of the basses to be too frequently used and easily campable so they were removed

spawn zone tweeks

cleaned everything else i could find including some conflicting textures. 

thanks to everyone for support / feedback  =]

download: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/330e6c5b-3217-436e-988f-839bba6fdafd

update 11/12/2013

taking zandril's advice =]

download:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/63433051-7c00-4876-ac15-3549095cbf4b

raised perimeter of map with rocks to add contrast and added soft kills to keep them unaccessable

yPSOlGu.jpg

as suggested removed the need to jump up to the ramps in front of bases as it disrupted flow and also swapped out dmr with suppressor

nopXIj6.jpg

blocked off routes under ramps for green and gold in bottom mid to help control flow and keep it from being completely unpredictable. rocks are smooth to walk on and improve flow as well. also fixed stunt ramps so theres no gap

Gmqpeba.jpg

other side

joNohiq.jpg

as always feedback / suggestions are always welcome and will do what i can to continue to improve this map.=] thanks to everyone who playtested

Update 11/4/2013

taken feed back and done what i could. smoothed out everything i noticed was bumpy and adjusted things here and there. Also fixed ordnance times as suggested as well as changing beam rifle to sniper rifle. more info with images.

new overview: ohxh0WY.jpg

added height variation to outer perimeter: n5dramK.jpg

used pieces better and smoothed out floor Vg9OvNP.jpg

Ujr0IoF.jpg

changed ramps out for budget and blocked of tunnels for more control of player movement. players can still shoot through to gain the upper hand in encounters. Also blocked off unnecessary area inside the ramp 2 by 2 steeps

D2DOebA.jpg

changed out corner 2 by 2s with artifact bases so i could have more pieces

kPB9WPe.jpg

was suggested i add cover to the bridges tho i realize they're not functional cover and may be removed if deemed necessary 4tqYhhG.jpg

sadly i was unable to raise the border of the map to make it unaccessible due to not having any pieces left and having a full budget so decided to leave it as it was as i dont feel it is a major game changer and the cylinder larges in the second pic can be used to jump up to it as well as across to the upper ring

also swapped out two of the plasma grenades for frags

Requiem is a symmetrical arena i began back in Halo Reach with the idea that i wanted a raised ring in the shape of an octagon wrapping around a central structure with 4 bridges coming together from the ring connecting in the middle and ramps leading up to them all around.

Sense then (thanks to much tutoring from sir zandril and many words of encouragement from thfe forum) little of its original layout has remained.

For one its no longer an octagon which has led me to change its name. Its now more of a square. Also it was originally 4 way symmetrical or mandala but took the advice of others and changed the north-south, east-west axis.

Despite all these changes i believe i finally came through with what i had envisioned so many years ago.

i have an outer ring  that wraps around the map to provide height advantage with lack of cover being the trade off.

The center has been up-scaled to prevent low ceilings and cut off line of sight directly cross map.

Iv used inclines to not only provide ways up from the bottom but also as cover.

Gold and green are power positions providing cover along the ring and are key to map control. Holding one will allow your team to move freely around the perimeter of the map.

I haven't got the chance to do much play-testing but from what iv managed iv always got positive feedback and the matches were very enjoyable from a 2v2 to a 5v5 and even small FFAs the map performed great. Id love to try larger lobbies and defiantly want to try multi-team.

Many maps with verticallity, jet pack is a game breaker or the use of invisible ceilings are necessary. Not the case with this map. One is never far from a quick jump up or ramp to the top and tho it may provide its advantages in some cases as it should i never felt the need for one.

Requiem is an excellent objective map (i suggest giving extraction a go) and also is great for slayer.

Requiem 10/31/2013

formally "the octagon" as the name no longer suits.

minor updates gave the brace tunnels a 7 degree tilt to make jumping to the outer ring easier and changed the color of the one in the picture. (as seen in picture 5)

also added 3 additional initial spawns for teams 3 and 4 and one for teams 5-8.

weapon stats:

ordinace drops:
sniper rifle 176
concussion rifle x2 146

thruster pack x2 90
hardlight shield x2 90

placed on map:
Covenant carbine x2 30
battle rifle x2 30

suppressor x2 30
assault rifle x2 30
light rifle x2 30

frag grenade x2 15
plasma grenade x2 15
pulse grenade x4 15

download:https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/0553abcb-5bcc-4d7b-804b-1352618752a5

after a complete redesign and countless hours of building and tweaking iv finally completed my latest version

10/29/2013

the octagon is symmetrical arena iv been working on since halo reach. its compatible with all gametypes including ricochet with the exception of grifball and dominion. it works well with small lobbies but handles larger lobbies great.

i apologize for posting this in a new thread but literally nothing in this is the same or in the same position and it also plays so differently than previous versions it might as well be a new map altogether.

as always your feedback is welcome as id like to make this the best it could be.

finally id like to thank zandril for his tutoring.

Overveiw: (yes i know that walkway cover is blue i fixed it lol)
U1LiXuS.jpg

up-scaled middle of map. Ramps provide cover
xuxZo42.jpg

flow is much better and cover is multi-functional (no lazy cover)
H65nzgv.jpg

front of bases is now connected to bottom mid instaid of being just a wall
xx37Jj4.jpg

outer perimeter has been fully redesigned.
FdDmmDy.jpg

view down base ramp
OgixEI8.jpg

green gold and top mid are main power positions. grav-lift can counter
6fDbgFv.jpg

lift under green and gold
IgYeHda.jpg

bottom mid
6NIN1aj.jpg

• Like 4

Alright. I finally found the time to give this a look.

As I said before, this map has been improved exponentially from its first version. So good job on that part.

Unfortunately, it still has a couple issues.

Bumpy floor: The flooring in this map isn't even this makes players do little bobs while walking. I suggest evening this out.

Tight tunnels: There are some tunnels at the lower that are too tight. I suggest making these wider to give players a little more dance floor.

Ordnance: Personally, I wouldn't use a Beam Rifle for Ordnance because of the weapon's ridiculous aim asisst. I'd use the regular sniper rifle. There's also the spawn time of the weapon.

Any power weapon respawning at a time longer than 3 minutes (180s)  is respawning at an overextended amount of time.

I would have 3 minutes as the highest time for a weapon to respawn. You don't want them spawning more than that because those long respawn times tend to dull the gameplay on any competitive map.

Tip. For Ordnance, reduce the respawn time you want for a weapon by 4 seconds. So if you want a weapon to respawn every 3 minutes (180s), set the timer to 176. This is because it takes 4 seconds after the time you set before the weapon actually drops.

Border: I'd raise the walls in your map. You don't want players walking on the border and using them as a platform. A border is a border. Players shouldn't be able to stand on them. They should be used simply to keep players from escaping your map. The map's kill boundaries should also be hard to hit. Not as easy as jetpacking a short height.

Flow: The map's flow has improved, definitely. But I feel like the flow is still a bit too random/uncontrollable. By that I mean there may be too many movement options on the map.

Aesthetics: You were very inconsistent with the pieces you used in this map. This lowered the aesthetic quality of the map.

Another thing about aesthetics that I wanted to mention is that, for a map to be top notch aesthetically, all its pieces should fit together and should look like they're in place.

What I mean by this is, one should avoid merging the pieces of his floor, walls, etc. Basically, you don't want the textures of the pieces overlapping. Everything should be neat and clean.

I don't know if this is something you'll be able to fix so I'm saying this so you can keep it in mind for your future maps.

Unnecessary routes: I would seal off the space in the ramps merged with the wall doubles. I'm talking about the areas with the Corner 2x2 pieces.

Flatness: There are some areas in the map that lack height variation. This would be the outermost ring. You typically don't want paths that long to be flat so I would suggest adding some subtle height variation.

The flooring of the lower level of the Matchmaking map Dispatch is a good example of this.

That's all the feedback I have for now. If I was to give more, I'll have to play the map more.

But for now, this is it. :)
  • Like 1

Thanks man really appreciate the time u put into these reviews.

As for the bumpy floor there's only one are I know of the bace larges by green which I fixed in an update iv yet to put up here if there's others please let me know

The tight tunnels im thinking im going to block off to restrict movement a bit

Thanks for the advice on ordinance il go back to the original sniper just thought id mix it up a bit. What do u think about a binary instaid?

The borer I kind of wanted as a place to gain lines of sight in unexpected way tho I'll see what I can do

As for aesthetics il try for better piece use and placement

I plan on adding some subtle height vairation around the premiter and will block off the unnecessary area with the 2by2s

Thanks again for the advice man defiantly glad to hear it doesn't need a complete reforge again haha

• Like 1

Thanks man really appreciate the time u put into these reviews.

As for the bumpy floor there's only one are I know of the bace larges by green which I fixed in an update iv yet to put up here if there's others please let me know

The tight tunnels im thinking im going to block off to restrict movement a bit

Thanks for the advice on ordinance il go back to the original sniper just thought id mix it up a bit. What do u think about a binary instaid?

The borer I kind of wanted as a place to gain lines of sight in unexpected way tho I'll see what I can do

As for aesthetics il try for better piece use and placement

I plan on adding some subtle height vairation around the premiter and will block off the unnecessary area with the 2by2s

Thanks again for the advice man defiantly glad to hear it doesn't need a complete reforge again haha

Definitely do NOT use a Binary. That thing is way overpowered.

• Like 1

Excellent update. I enjoyed the game we played here. I still think that the top could use more cover. Not too much. Just a few in some areas. I don't mean top mid but the outer ring on the upper level. I honestly think that the barricades you placed seemed very half-assed and lazy.

You can do better. As I suggested before, give Dispatch a look because it has some similarities to your map. You can use it for inspiration for cover on the ring.

I also think you should seal off the windows at the bottom. You wanted them there for interesting battles where players shoot through the windows but this never really happened. And I don't think it will anytime soon. The map would be better off with the windows sealed off.

As for the weapons, I think 4 is too much. I'd limit the power weapons to 3 since this is a 4v4 map.

Something else about this map that I noticed is the lack of contrast. It's like a sea of white. The only real contrast in the map is in the bottom floor because of the green grass. Everything else is so...white. Not really your fault because this is how the textures are on Forge Island but I think this is something you can remedy.

The best pieces for adding contrast would be Rocks. And, finally, I still think you should raise the map's walls. Unless players can no longer walk on the outer wall. That's all I'm worried about, really.

EDIT: I'd have those artifact bases connect to the ground or do something to make that area smoother. Kind of breaks up the flow when players get stuck there.

• Like 1

The map is indeed reaching its true potential. I'm very interested to play on this version.

Also, might I suggest posting this map at...the Cafe?

http://forgecafe.com/forums/index.php

You'll get noticed there. Maybe even spotlighted. Who knows? :)

thanks for the support man working on that now. hopefully it does get noticed =] we'll see

• Like 1

Hey dude! I played on your map with you... Yeah, I'd say it's a very unique map, just a couple of concerns though-

Bumps in the map, there are several bumps int he map that are kind of annoying. I think it is at the tower, 3-storeys that this happens.

I'm not a fan of the colouration, and the aesthetics of the map are not that great. But hey, everyone has different tastes.

There is substantial height variation, but the map just feels slighty flat... I'm not sure how to fix this, but it's not a big issue. It may feel flat but there is enough height variation. ;)

I'm no expert, just offering my two cents worth. You can send me a FR @ GT n0mnom321 and I'll be happy to help test your map :)

Hey dude! I played on your map with you... Yeah, I'd say it's a very unique map, just a couple of concerns though-

Bumps in the map, there are several bumps int he map that are kind of annoying. I think it is at the tower, 3-storeys that this happens.

I'm not a fan of the colouration, and the aesthetics of the map are not that great. But hey, everyone has different tastes.

There is substantial height variation, but the map just feels slighty flat... I'm not sure how to fix this, but it's not a big issue. It may feel flat but there is enough height variation. ;)

I'm no expert, just offering my two cents worth. You can send me a FR @ GT n0mnom321 and I'll be happy to help test your map :)

thanks man, appreciate the feedback =]

as for the coloration i know alot of ppl arnt fans of coloring every piece but i hate that grey uncolored look, thats just me tho =]

also sadly iv reached the object limit so as for aesthetics i feel there isnt much more i could do. hopefully the geometry will be interesting enough to catch ppls attention

and il defiantly send you a friend request thanks again =]   

• Like 1