Full Suit Control

zipcode

I haven't looked around in this forums at all, the idea just came to me today and I'm a new member as of....4 minutes ago.  So I appologize if this has already been brought up but I doubt it.

For starters, If anyone has played Tom Clancy's End War, and has read the Halo books this will be interesting to you.  In the very first halo (when master chief is training in his brand new suit with cortana), in one of the training excercises he has to run through a mine field while missles are being shot at him. (don't quote me on this, I read the books 7-8 years ago)  Now when master chief needed to run through it, he was alerted by cortana stating the shields wouldn't be able to last through all of the explosions and damage.  Calmly master chief said, "can it be done if you divert all of my shields to my feet"?   Needless to say, he made it out ALIVE.  Something, that is majorly lacking in the halo universe is 100% suit control.  Now back to the voice command from Tom Clancy's End War.  You could control your units by just "talking", using the commands givin.  Why hasn't 343 or Bungie looked into allowing the players full control of their suits in-game, in realtime.  By simply allowing me to divert my shields via voice commands instantly to take all of the damage from a random grenade at %50 shields to one of the four sides of my body? (Front, Right, Back, or Left)  It would make for incredible multiplayer experiences, unique and true to the halo universe.  By choosing to divert my shields from my whole body, to just one of the sides, (or 50/50) or to adjacent sides, essentially vulnerable from the sides that have no shields.  Interesting?  Now back to sensitivity!  I feel 100% comfortable at 4-5 sensitivity while BRing, but the game doesn't just play at long range.  I jump, crouch, and do anything possible to take down my opponent, but I lack the ability to swiftly turn around after jumping over someone, to get that quick jump on them again. (Moving at 4-5 sensitivity) While in mid-air close combat, I could easily hit my d-pad and voice a command. "sensitivity 8" I could change my direction in an instant, then dropping it back down for the smooth br battle.  Just a thought.

• Like 7

welcome to the community!!!

i like this these are some good ideas. but for the shields i don't think it would work well and be too long to implement. it just doesn't seem like it would work you know? the idea is great though. also i think it would just lag too much and get you killed more often. someone could throw a grenade behind you, you say shields to the back the made detonates but while it happens the person would be infront of you and could totally take you out because youd have no shield in the front.

i do like the voice command idea where you can change the sensitivity. i think it wouldwork great and be possible 

Idealy of course you wouldn't change your shields if someone was in front of you while throwing a grenade behind you, if you do then you are obviously going to die.  (this idea is mainly for experienced players that know when to actually use it.  Imagine it being sort of like the hard light shield, but in any direction and would resemble a different color like the overshield.  Letting the other person know what is happening.

Idealy of course you wouldn't change your shields if someone was in front of you while throwing a grenade behind you, if you do then you are obviously going to die.  (this idea is mainly for experienced players that know when to actually use it.  Imagine it being sort of like the hard light shield, but in any direction and would resemble a different color like the overshield.  Letting the other person know what is happening.

well yes you are right, but that was just a blatant example that i just threw out to show how it could go wrong. but i do know what you mean and i like the ideas a lot. and i thought you meant advance payers as well. actually i hered that bungie tried to put this in halo 2 for xbox. but it cost a lot of money to add it in and almost no one knew about it or it just didn't work well. any ways great ideas

• Like 1

well yes you are right, but that was just a blatant example that i just threw out to show how it could go wrong. but i do know what you mean and i like the ideas a lot. and i thought you meant advance payers as well. actually i hered that bungie tried to put this in halo 2 for xbox. but it cost a lot of money to add it in and almost no one knew about it or it just didn't work well. any ways great ideas

That's crazy!  I'll have to look into, because I know in order to talk in halo 2, you HAD to press the d-pad, so i could see how they would have done it.

For a first post, this is impressive. It seems you put a lot of effort into this. It did interest me when you referred to the Halo: The Fall of Reach book. Good use of referencing. 

I think this will be a great idea but I can't see it working out. It takes advanced consoles to do this. Maybe the Xbox One is capable but it might frustrate many players because the Kinect might accidentally take in the wrong command or not do what the player commands it to do. It might also be too late because I don't think anyone can say it fast enough before taking damage or the console might not be quick enough. 

Overall I still think this is a very creative idea. I hope 343 can somehow find a way to implement this into Halo 5 or 6 without annoying anyone. Good work. :)

Well you can always take the hardlight shield and look at whatever is shooting at you. I don't know if Halo is the best for voice commands in general. Endwar is a strategy game, and voice commands were used to give general orders to units and call down strikes. Halo is about you and your gun... and your grenades. I just can't think of a reason you would need them.

Someone on the forums had an idea about personal or team AIs, so maybe it would be useful or fun to ask the AI to drop waypoints where specific weapons spawn, to ask how much time is left, or to ask how many points in order to win... But anything I can think of are either on your HUD or built through experience and map knowledge.

EDIT:

Additionally it wouldn't take 'advanced consoles' or 'tons of work' to make something like this happen. It would be reletively easy to license out some commercial voice recognition software and just meld that into your game. With all the time since the release of Endwar I can't imagine voice recognition has become worse. It would come down to programming the game and how it plays with the newly aquired software, and then a nice, long session of bug squashing to make sure everything runs. The real question is not "How?" but "Why?"

• Like 2

Well you can always take the hardlight shield and look at whatever is shooting at you. I don't know if Halo is the best for voice commands in general. Endwar is a strategy game, and voice commands were used to give general orders to units and call down strikes. Halo is about you and your gun... and your grenades. I just can't think of a reason you would need them.

Someone on the forums had an idea about personal or team AIs, so maybe it would be useful or fun to ask the AI to drop waypoints where specific weapons spawn, to ask how much time is left, or to ask how many points in order to win... But anything I can think of are either on your HUD or built through experience and map knowledge.

EDIT:

Additionally it wouldn't take 'advanced consoles' or 'tons of work' to make something like this happen. It would be reletively easy to license out some commercial voice recognition software and just meld that into your game. With all the time since the release of Endwar I can't imagine voice recognition has become worse. It would come down to programming the game and how it plays with the newly aquired software, and then a nice, long session of bug squashing to make sure everything runs. The real question is not "How?" but "Why?"

I did say the Xbox One and Kinect are probably capable of it. Good point though, why? I think it will just make the game a bit more realistic and it would be fun and useful in my opinion. :)

• Like 1

I still don't know what anybody plans on doing with voice commands. I could see some mild campaign usage, but in multiplayer? I don't see any compelling reasons anyone would need it.

Yeah. I can't imagine many people using it in multiplayer. It would be too hard considering how fast the game would be going. We don't even have A.I's in Multiplayer but we do in Campaign so good point. ;)

I still don't know what anybody plans on doing with voice commands. I could see some mild campaign usage, but in multiplayer? I don't see any compelling reasons anyone would need it.

Yeah. I can't imagine many people using it in multiplayer. It would be too hard considering how fast the game would be going. We don't even have A.I's in Multiplayer but we do in Campaign so good point. ;)

I will start working on a visual aide for the near sighted :wallbash:.  Depending on how long it takes Youtube upload, I'll post the link on here later tonight.

Edited by zipcode