New gametype for halo 4. Forge Battle

gollum385

Does this sound like a fun gametype  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does this sound like a fun gametype

• Absolutely would love play this
    • Pretty good idea, would be great with improvements (suggestions)
    • It's ok
    • It's not great, but could be better (suggestions)
    • Not interested in playing this.

I remember one of the vidocs for forge when halo 3 first came in. they mentioned having battles using forge. However as you all know this never happened. This is the opportunity for 343 to create a new and interesting gametype.

The gametype would work as follows. I would see it working almost like the vip playlists in that one member would start as the monitor/vip. If they die, the next person to die becomes the monitor.

It would be like normal slayer, except that each team when they get a kill earn currency for the team, aswell as a point for the kill. This currecncy is used by the monitor to buy items for the team.

It could be possible that other achievements (sprees etc) could earn extra currency for the team aswell.

The items the monitor could buy would not be like normal forge objects, in that they have respawn times. They can purchase weapons for the team to pick up. Once this weapon is used up it dissapears from the map (doesn't respawn). The same can be said for vehicles. finally the monitor can build a limited amount of structures. Things such as shields/walls to protect the team, or ledges for them to stand on as you float them across the map. Things such as grav lifts to allow them to reach new locations. Or fusion coils to set up traps. this would also be destroyable, or have limited time on the map, to stop the map clogging up from too many bricks. Finally destroying the monitor would give the team bonus points, aswell as stopping it from assisting the team.

Other gametpyes could be done with this method, things such as capture the flag, or assault. The monitors ability to move around quickly also helps the team know what is going on, an unusual but also cool aspect of this gametype.

The monitor could also have a sentinel beam/splazer type weapon (similar to guilty spark in halo3).

People's opinions on this gametype, whether they'd like to play it, what could be done to make it better, what other cool gametypes it could lead to would be welcome. Think it would be a really fun social gametype (or even ranked :P). If it was also done for larger numbers (could possibly have 2 monitors in a team?) or multi team gametypes could lead to a very chaotic game.

Nice idea,

Though, I think that, either the monitor shouldn't have a weapon or could have a weapon but would need to have much weaker shields and health.

Moreover, the monitor should't be able to transport the team across the map, which is easily arranged like this:

when it is deploying some kind of wall, vehicle, weapon or structure, When it is choosing where to put but has already selected what he is going to put, the item should not appear to non monitors and should only take effect (become "hard") when deployed. Meaning, the monitor is deciding where to put this wall and is walking around with it, until is has been deployed, nonmonitors cannot see it and cannot cover behind it

(this could lead to a monitor waiting to deploy a wall, deploying write before an enemy fires a rocket, protecting his teammate (don't worry, it won't happen a lot))

Moreover, the monitor should only be able to move around and deploy stuff in his side (half) of the map.

This could also be featured in firefight

Nice idea,

Rafter

Yea i think a weapon would be useful for the monitor, probably a sentinel beam of a splazer, just so there is some sort of defence. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the most effective thing.

rafter, i like the idea that the monitor is restricted to half a map. Maybe not quite half (like each team has 2/3rds, so at least the monitor can help people pushing forward), this would stop the monitors messing eachothers things up, except from at the front.

I also think the fact something can be placed once and that is it, and doesn't appear until it is placed is a cool idea, as i'm sure someone would be opposed to my view. I mean if both could be possible that would be great, but maybe from the sense of balance this is a better alternative.

I also made a forge/firetype gametype forum post which talks about an idea. Maybe these ideas would also need to be carried across.

There are people who wouldn't be interested in this gametype. are there reasons for this (why wouldnt you be interested in playing it). Is there any aspects of the idea you like, or is there anything that could be done to the gametype to make it more appealing to you?

I think it would be a gametype which uses the forge feature in halo in an entirely new direction, during actual matchmaking, leading to new and interesting gameplay.

Yea i think a weapon would be useful for the monitor, probably a sentinel beam of a splazer, just so there is some sort of defence. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the most effective thing.

rafter, i like the idea that the monitor is restricted to half a map. Maybe not quite half (like each team has 2/3rds, so at least the monitor can help people pushing forward), this would stop the monitors messing eachothers things up, except from at the front.

I also think the fact something can be placed once and that is it, and doesn't appear until it is placed is a cool idea, as i'm sure someone would be opposed to my view. I mean if both could be possible that would be great, but maybe from the sense of balance this is a better alternative.

I also made a forge/firetype gametype forum post which talks about an idea. Maybe these ideas would also need to be carried across.

Agree with everything you said.

Though I would add this:

Remember Halo 3? For example, the VIP gametype. a lot of "subgametypes" were created out of this.

So, why not "subgametypes" out of this type of game.

Some could be around the fact that the monitor would only work as an "engeneer", never atacking and could even only walk around in 1/4th of the map; Or work like a VIP, sme who must be killed.

Anyway, I agree that the main gametype should have the ideas fom the post I quoted above.

Nice ideas, men,

Rafter

PS: to people who didn't like, I hope that you don't think that, becase you didn't like, it shouldn't be featured in-game (just to be sure).

Yea i completely agree rafter. In all my posts i try to give people the option to say they dislike it, but again I hope that is there personal preference rather than them thinking it wouldnt work in game/other people wouldn't enjoy it. People who have voted that way i would lvoe to hear their opinions.

And yea i completely agree. With all the gametypes that have ever been in halo, people have suggested such as these, the ability for custom options (something which has grown alot in the last few games and i would expect to grow further) should allow all sort of subgametypes to be formed, and peoples creativity allowing for awesome custom gametypes being made by people which could be unleashed into the matchmaking system.

thanks halo 4 opst for your comment. With regards to your opinion, could you give more detail into why you think it would suck? Is there anything that could be done to it to make it good in your opinion (a few tweaks maybe?). Be interested to see if you are someone who uses forge at all, as i'm sure this would maybe not appeal so much to people who just play campaign/matchmaking, and just want to play normal slayer etc.

Many people saying it's a good idea but needs tweaking. Would anyone care to suggest what tweaks these would be?

Something that i just thought of that may appeal to people who dislike the idea. What if there were items you could purchase as the monitor which were destructable, or that could be placed tactically in areas of the map (note all items would probably need to be normal physics mode as opposed to phased (maybe fixed ok)). Imagine if there was the pit, and it's a game of oddball. What if the monitor could tactically purchase a wall to place in front of the entrance from one of the bases (sniper towers). This would completely change how the map would play. The other team monitor may then need to think about placing something like a gravlift next to the gap in the wall by the bridge, or if the wall is destructable therefore consider setting his team up with rockets.

I think this gametype would allow a whole new battlefield in terms of a halo game. Gears has maps which change throughout a game, impacting the battlefield, like an avalanche or razor sharp hail which means you must take cover. Whilst i don't necessarily think halo should have this (although would be a cool thing if you could implement it) i think this gametype would prevent an environment which is constantly changing, requiring both teams to change how they approach the situation, or the tactics they make.

I'm a bit suprised, as i thought people would be really keen on this idea. Is it because the idea itself is flawed, or does it just need a few tweaks on my ideas for people to be interested in it?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say if he does have a weapon, it needs to be very weak. Or else the monitor would be overpowered, full flight and pretty much a Spartan Lazer. No... But the idea could be good. New objects would have to be made, and the monitor has a limited life until it is switched to another player so each player would have a chance to be the monitor. Each team would have one too or else it wouldn't be fair. Also, power weapons would have to cost more, since the monitor would pretty much just spawn rockets and snipers. Also, a limit on how many of each thing you can spawn. And they don't respawn. Plus there will be preset weapons on the map already. And the monitor earns cR for placing things, just like people do for killing people. That way it isn't bad to be the monitor. I would play this occasionally I guess. It could be fun.

I dont think the credit system should come into it. For a start i agree in credits, but not as a ranking system, so that is irrelevant at this point.

Of course it wouldnt be like normal forge mode, with all weapons being the same price. More powerful things would cost much more, so if you want a good weapon you have to save for it. Maybe also ideas for updrading a players starting weapon etc could be cool. As for weapons on map, if they are able to purchase standard weapons cheaply, i dont think this is necessary. Yes spawning weapons/ammo etc would be a 1 time placement, aswell as objects. Not sure about a limit, as if you want all 4 people to have the best stuff, you need to save up 4 times, probably won't happen often.

As for weapon, was just a small idea. Would definately need to be a sentinel beam. As for having one at all times, i think if you destroy their monitor, you should be rewarded with a wait before it respawns. THerefore i feel like it should work like the vip system. You are going to play more than one game in it, so if you aren't the monitor in one game, or are another, it won't matter too much.

It's the sort of gametype that would escalate quickly aswell, so wouldnt take too long

Also like the idea of doing it for larger groups (like 8v8, 12v12) In that case the effect of one big weapon etc wouldnt have as big an effect, and as you have more people accumulating points and more people to spread it between it becomes more tactical. In order for that to have monitors who change the way a map plays, or change the outcome of a battle though, maybe a second monitor would be required to help with the larger amount of players.

• 1 year later...

awesome idea.

I think its too late for a new game type to be added though.

I also think that this is not just an option for halo, this idea could have an entire game built around it, and 343i might be lucky to get a chance to implement it in halo 5 before other developers read this thread

top idea, probably will, if not should, see this idea implemented somewhere in a big way in the near future

So your idea is putting a gametype with forge elements into Matchmaking.

I'm not a forger, so i've got no interest in this.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if the monitor can only spawn weapons. Then the respective teams would have to communicate a bit, as in telling the monitor which weapons they want. And of course there shouldn't be weapons on the map then.

i love this idea and as much as i would like to see it in matchmaking, i think there would be a lot of problems that go with it, for example: you could get stuck with a monitor who decides to be a jerk and create a box around the humans spawn. also, people would find ways to make really cheap structures that would be extremely unfair such as a gauss warthog with walls surrounding the entire thing except for the turret. then, put a shield door halfway through the gun, that way the gun can still shoot but bullets cant come and hit the player operating the turret.419537_469426233091839_1920169030_n.jpg

nah, I tried the sheild door idea already lol, the game requires your spartans head is the determinant, I also tried standing behind a sheild door and throwing a grenade when my arm releases the grenade on the other side of the door, doesn't work.

So your idea is putting a gametype with forge elements into Matchmaking.

I'm not a forger, so i've got no interest in this.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if the monitor can only spawn weapons. Then the respective teams would have to communicate a bit, as in telling the monitor which weapons they want. And of course there shouldn't be weapons on the map then.

*the idea is not realy for forgers, its more an idea about having a "god" like player for each team, manipulating the environment in real time, to try swing a battle in your teams favor, but not be able to directly do damage as the god character

it opens up alot of possibilties for a fps arcade game like halo... imagine:

1 creating a platform for one of your team to jump up, when one of the enemy has rockets, when your team can come down behind the enemy,

2 placing special weapons in a position like cheese in a mouse trap, your team watching over the weapon

3 placing a wall infront of your team when they are weak/ vulnerable to special weapons or vehicles

4 deploying a power up at key moments

5 dropping counter weapons or equipment to assualt/ defend against a particular enemy

i still think people would find glitches or other ways to get an unfair advantage.

The gametype could probably work i just think it would need a lot of testing and tweaking

also, i think it would be a good idea if instead of having just one player per team who gets to be monitor for the whole game, make it so that like every 2min a new player gets to be monitor. that way if you got stuck with a monitor who decided to be a jerk and do something like create a box around the spawn, having the monitor rotate would help because then the next player up could just fix it

*the idea is not realy for forgers, its more an idea about having a "god" like player for each team, manipulating the environment in real time, to try swing a battle in your teams favor, but not be able to directly do damage as the god character

it opens up alot of possibilties for a fps arcade game like halo... imagine:

1 creating a platform for one of your team to jump up, when one of the enemy has rockets, when your team can come down behind the enemy,

2 placing special weapons in a position like cheese in a mouse trap, your team watching over the weapon

3 placing a wall infront of your team when they are weak/ vulnerable to special weapons or vehicles

4 deploying a power up at key moments

5 dropping counter weapons or equipment to assualt/ defend against a particular enemy

That's definitely close enough to forge to make me not want to play it ;)

aight, but I think if it gets realised you might change your mind

think about it... how many battles have you been in where you ended up finding some part of your inventory or environment that you used for an imaginitive and unlikely victory?

add to that the option of having a team mate drop something at the right time and it could make for some crazy montages

aight, but I think if it gets realised you might change your mind

think about it... how many battles have you been in where you ended up finding some part of your inventory or environment that you used for an imaginitive and unlikely victory?

add to that the option of having a team mate drop something at the right time and it could make for some crazy montages

And as i said, it'd be cool to have a monitor teammate that drops weapons

but when it comes to constantly altering the map, it gets too technical for my taste ;)

another idea that could work is if when the game starts, each team with the same forge items (like a few walls, bunkers, snipers nests, etc..) then you get like 2 minutes before the game starts to make a base for your team. once the game is started, you wouldnt be able to make walls and stuff but with the money earned by kills you can still spawn them weapons and vehicles

another idea that could work is if when the game starts, each team with the same forge items (like a few walls, bunkers, snipers nests, etc..) then you get like 2 minutes before the game starts to make a base for your team. once the game is started, you wouldnt be able to make walls and stuff but with the money earned by kills you can still spawn them weapons and vehicles

Now that version actually sounds like it might be fun. But i think the bases would look the same very often.

Now that version actually sounds like it might be fun. But i think the bases would look the same very often.

what if they made it so you got random amounts of the different objects every game, that way you couldn't make the same base every time. also if you did get random amounts, you would still get the same amount of total items, the only difference would be the amount of specific items (e.g. you could get 5 walls 3 bunkers and 7 bridges one game, then the next you could get 3 wall 5 bridges and 7 bunkers)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...