New Unique Weapon Idea

Karsten

The main problem with the current Halo 4 weapons is that every race seems to have their similar version of each weapon type, like the AR, Supressor, and the Storm Rifle. There needs to be more unique weapons, like the Needler.

I have an idea for a good unique weapon. This weapon will probably be best as a Forerunner or Human weapon. Basically, it will be a new type of rocket launcher. It has 3 missiles per mag. In order to fire it, you have to lock on to targets first. They will heat seek any enemy player. You can lock onto vehicles or players by holding RT. It will take about 2 or more seconds to lock on. You fire each missile by tapping RT. You can lock onto up to 3 targets at once. When you lock onto a target, they will be labeled or highlighted. The weapon will be able to lock onto a single target multiple times, too. The lock-on indicator or label over the enemy will have a number next to them showing how many times they are locked on. For example, when using this weapon it might take 1 shot to kill a foot soldier and 2-3 shots to destroy a vehicle. I can lock onto the foot soldier once and the vehicle twice, then tap RT 3 times to launch all the missiles. I can also lock onto a soldier multiple times so the second  one will hit them if the first one fails. When you are locked onto an enemy, they would get un-locked after about 20 secs or so, or if they go out of range, or if you switch weapons. If you get locked on, it might be good if a warning sign appears somewhere on the HUD.

Please 343i, feel more than free to use this idea in your game.

• Like 2

An interesting idea, but its already been taken.

They have a weapon similar in design to this, in Titanfall. The only difference being that it's a machine pistol, not a rocket launcher. I see a 3-way lock-on explosive weapon being way too OP. With 3 rounds per magazine (1 more than the standard Halo rocket launcher), a lock-on mechanism that can lock to infantry, plus firing all 3 rounds at the same time in different directions, this just wouldn't work I'm afraid.

However, it is an interesting idea - wait until Titanfall, and you'll get something similar. ;)

• Like 2

An interesting idea, but its already been taken.

They have a weapon similar in design to this, in Titanfall. The only difference being that it's a machine pistol, not a rocket launcher. I see a 3-way lock-on explosive weapon being way too OP. With 3 rounds per magazine (1 more than the standard Halo rocket launcher), a lock-on mechanism that can lock to infantry, plus firing all 3 rounds at the same time in different directions, this just wouldn't work I'm afraid.

However, it is an interesting idea - wait until Titanfall, and you'll get something similar. ;)

Yeah, it probably would be too OP, but you do have to expose yourself to the enemy for like 10-15 secs if you want to lockon. Maybe it can be a vehicle-only thing.

The main problem with the current Halo 4 weapons is that every race seems to have their similar version of each weapon type, like the AR, Supressor, and the Storm Rifle. There needs to be more unique weapons, like the Needler.

I have an idea for a good unique weapon. This weapon will probably be best as a Forerunner or Human weapon. Basically, it will be a new type of rocket launcher. It has 3 missiles per mag. In order to fire it, you have to lock on to targets first. They will heat seek any enemy player. You can lock onto vehicles or players by holding RT. It will take about 2 or more seconds to lock on. You fire each missile by tapping RT. You can lock onto up to 3 targets at once. When you lock onto a target, they will be labeled or highlighted. The weapon will be able to lock onto a single target multiple times, too. The lock-on indicator or label over the enemy will have a number next to them showing how many times they are locked on. For example, when using this weapon it might take 1 shot to kill a foot soldier and 2-3 shots to destroy a vehicle. I can lock onto the foot soldier once and the vehicle twice, then tap RT 3 times to launch all the missiles. I can also lock onto a soldier multiple times so the second  one will hit them if the first one fails. When you are locked onto an enemy, they would get un-locked after about 20 secs or so, or if they go out of range, or if you switch weapons. If you get locked on, it might be good if a warning sign appears somewhere on the HUD.

Please 343i, feel more than free to use this idea in your game.

The supressor, AR, and strom rifle are all very different weapons.

They work differently play differently etc. 

Also this idea does sound similar to the Titanfall pistol and Plasma Launcher from Reach.  

Yeah, it probably would be too OP, but you do have to expose yourself to the enemy for like 10-15 secs if you want to lockon. Maybe it can be a vehicle-only thing.

so basically like the missile pod from halo 3?

i loved that thing it was so much fun avoiding them and watching your friends avoid them, although it was OP

Maybe a weapon like this could only have one magazine and be more of a one-time use weapon. The Incineration Cannon only has three rounds to start and can OHKO a Mantis with a direct hit.

But yes, more faction unique weapons would be nice. It seems as though the Covenant has all the unique weapons, whereas the Forerunners just have weapons that function like the other factions' weapons.

Although the problem with such unique weapons is that they may have a very narrow window of use. The Grenade Launcher was good at killing small infantry, such as Jackals and Grunts, and disabling vehicles. But against Elites or Hunters, the Grenade Launcher is practically worthless.

Well, I know its not exactly a "new" idea, but I have always been a fan of needle based weapons (blamite, as bungie used to call the volitile crystalline material). I think the idea of exploding crystal launcher that tracks enemies was sooo cool! It felt new, and alien, and dangerous...and it was PINK!

So anyways, my idea  was to make a covenant power weapon that was really effective against vehicles and aircraft, but a little weaker against infantry (I know there's nothing wrong with this system, but it just irks me that some one with a SPNKR/Fuel rod/Spartan laz could easily kill ANYTHING). This thing would LOOK kinda like a fusion of the fuel rod gun and the needle rifle (long, sleak, curved...pink) with 3-4 HUGE blamite spikes jutting upward in a row from the middle of the gun to the rear. When locked on to an enemy aircraft, the weapon fires a single huge needle that tracks the craft until it gets within 8 meters. Once in close proximity, the large needle bursts into a cloud of smaller needles. Direct hits from the needles do the most damage, but any that burst in the area around it will have the advantage of shaking the aircraft around dramatically, making it more difficult to fly, but not outright killing it unless you get a really good hit. The reason it wouldn't be effective against infanty is because the needle needs room to travel before it splits, meaning you have to hit them dead on with it to kill them that way. If you DID happen to have enough room for it to burst, enemy infanty is too small for EVERY needle to hit plus they don't track infanty. So again, not impossible, but very hard to kill infantry.

Although the problem with such unique weapons is that they may have a very narrow window of use. The Grenade Launcher was good at killing small infantry, such as Jackals and Grunts, and disabling vehicles. But against Elites or Hunters, the Grenade Launcher is practically worthless.

Man, i destroy every thing with that GL. i spent weeks practicing in heroic firefight just to get good with that thing.

Oh! Then there's this. Found this years ago when H3 was in the making. Thought it was a neat idea back then, even if its a bit...silly looking.

maul_color.png

Basically a big needler club that I'm guessing explodes on impact. I'd have fun with it...soon I will have a whole arsenal of pokey pink death!

mwuahaha..

Needle Pistol. Essentially, it would serve as the true counterpart to the UNSC's Magnum, whereas the Plasma Pistol functions in a very different way (EMP overcharged shots are the norm). In terms of function, it could work like a miniature Needle Rifle (semi-auto, zoom feature, non-seeking projectiles). Best of all, the Needle Pistol already canonically exists (although it should be balanced for gameplay purposes). http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Needle_Pistol

Needle Grenade. You toss it like any other grenade and it sticks to surfaces, players, vehicles, and everything else. It explodes with enough force to be neither underpowered or overpowered. Additionally the grenade sends out a balanced number of shards that seek out players within a balanced radius. These shards could cause a supercombine as normal.

I think the grenade's main fuction would be to help root out individual campers. These needles would randomly seek out any targets within their radius and as such the damage would be spread across any players on the recieving end. This is with the hope that if three or four players are in an area the grenade would deal little damage to them, but if a single player were in the same area he would be toast.

Needle Grenade. You toss it like any other grenade and it sticks to surfaces, players, vehicles, and everything else. It explodes with enough force to be neither underpowered or overpowered. Additionally the grenade sends out a balanced number of shards that seek out players within a balanced radius. These shards could cause a supercombine as normal.

I think the grenade's main fuction would be to help root out individual campers. These needles would randomly seek out any targets within their radius and as such the damage would be spread across any players on the recieving end. This is with the hope that if three or four players are in an area the grenade would deal little damage to them, but if a single player were in the same area he would be toast.

reminds me of the spike grenade in halo 3 but a little different and better. although i do like the idea.

i was thinking like a needle grenade launcher. it is basically like a grenade launcher from team fortress 2 when you play as a demo man and acts the exact same way or you can choose if you dont want it to stick by holding down the fire button like the reach grenade launcher. and when the grenades blow up they act like dracoavians idea.

i love it, now ever one is embracing the idea of needle based weapons more :thumbsup:. lots of deadly ideas.  Just to stay following suit, i recall that one of the books talked about the Jackles having these little cutless' made of crystal. To a spartan, that would be about the size of a dagger. you could sprint around the battlefield stabbing crystal knifes into people and watching them explode!!

• Like 1

i love it, now ever one is embracing the idea of needle based weapons more :thumbsup:. lots of deadly ideas.  Just to stay following suit, i recall that one of the books talked about the Jackles having these little cutless' made of crystal. To a spartan, that would be about the size of a dagger. you could sprint around the battlefield stabbing crystal knifes into people and watching them explode!!

that would be funny but i dont think they would explode. know how weak needles are and how easily they burst it just seems like they would shatter in your hand and cut your hand with little crystal shards instead of hurting your enemy

• Like 1

that would be funny but i dont think they would explode. know how weak needles are and how easily they burst it just seems like they would shatter in your hand and cut your hand with little crystal shards instead of hurting your enemy

lol, yeah your probably right. the jackles in the book couldnt even kill Johnson with one of those flimsy things. I was starting to run out of needle based ideas.

lol, yeah your probably right. the jackles in the book couldnt even kill Johnson with one of those flimsy things. I was starting to run out of needle based ideas.

oh no problem i know what you mean. maybe we could have needle detonator. it shoots one powerful needle or shoots a lot of tiny needles like a shotgun or a giant needle that is like the sticky det and you hit a button to blow it up.

or maybe just a needle shotgun.

This seems like a good weapon. :) It sounds similar to something I've seen before. I can imagine it as a new UNSC weapon. It can lock on just like how the Missile Pod and Rocket Launcher used to. I could be a mix between the two. Good point about making it a vehicle only weapon. They could make it like it doesn't lock on to Spartans or other enemies unless they are in vehicles. You are right that it isn't really overpowered if it takes long to lock on and fire. As other people said, it doesn't seem unique but it seems really creative though, well done. ;)