What would you like to see in the new installment of Halo?

Devon Thomas Dixon

Alright well I've been playing halo since combat evolved and started the multiplayer with its 3rd installment. I absolutely love the story and the multiplayer, but i personally think that halos online gaming experience can go much further, i'm going to be blunt and throw out some of my opinions that could give the community a better experience as a player that can control a spartan with a flick of the analog stick.

1. Take cover!Battlefield-3-take-cover-627x246.jpg

As you know the run and gun option is always available, but when taking heavy fire sometimes people tend to find cover, and while its fun and all to stand behind a pillar or crouch by a rock it doesn't really give the 20/20 experience of being under fire. When taking cover it should be more visibly appealing and give you a sense of being in a firefight with your life at stake, put your back against a wall or slide to the nearest object waist high and be more in depth with your surroundings.

2. Strategic Game playmed_Reach_MPBeta_BoneyardInvasion3_1280x

Halo reach invasion game type was one of my favorite game types, you and your squad mates would have to over come covenant (or unsc) forces and capture objectives to obtain the Intel from your enemy and extract it, this game type should defiantly be brought back in my opinion, it gave a sense of actual team work and having to work together in some cases to actually win the game, working as one gives the game more meaning and brings out the competitiveness in everybody. Recreating this game type on a larger and in more depth scale would defiantly draw out those players seeking that feeling of team work and strategic success, meaning if you and your team has to capture covenant Intel or capture a high value target, this type of game type is open to what ever you can think of.              

(And also if anyone has played battlefield then you should know how the squad system goes and that would incorporate nicely with halo multiplayer)

3. The famed aim down sights system.Herz_Gameplay.jpg

As you all know a lot of people would like to see this kind of gun play in the next halo (or in any halo) i don't know if that would take the uniqueness out of it or if that might actually improve the game play some how. Just going to throw this idea out there for any of you who would consider seeing this in the next installment!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and comment on what you think about it and if you have any ideas feel free to do so at your leisure!

• Like 1

Let's get to it, long time since I've done one of these sorts of replies.

1. Taking Cover - To be honest this doesn't suit Halo, however, it can be implemented extremely well if done in one way I view and done correctly. The way I see it done well is if there is a total time of first person view, there is to be no 3rd person whatsoever. The user loses control of one arm to preserve momentum when needed. The users line of sight will also change, to the direction the head technically should be facing. Say for example, you were to squat down behind a small crate or something, one hand should be unusable since it's readying itself for a quick launch in any direction, the head should either be facing side ways or the opposite direction of your spartan to crate vector.I also think that there should be a time limit for this, since it can slow down game play quite a lot if someone with a Shotgun took cover behind a crate. Not a short time limit of like 5 seconds, but something reasonable to get the game flowing of 10-15 seconds. That way it can be fast paced and people have to use taking cover as a quick adapting strategy and not a camping tool.
  2. Invasion - I have never played Battle Field so I can't comment on the Squad comment, though that being said, Invasion was one of my favourite game types in Halo: Reach, let alone the entire series. It was such a different take on the normal slayer variants and posed a fun challenge with loads of vehicles, heavy weaponry and a target to obtain. With Halo 4's sort of gameplay being extremely fast and swift killing, it wouldn't fit that well in it, but if Halo 5 (or whatever the next major title is) were to slow down the pace a little to a Halo Reach style then I believe it could fit in well. Though I'd assume 343 Industries wouldn't want to make it a clone copy and would want to put their own spin on it.
  3. Iron Sights - This is the one point I completely and utterly disagree with, for a variety of reasons. A. Spartans are 'designed' to not need to use iron sights, as their MJOLNIR armour takes care of zooming with or without a scope on the weapon, so according to lore, there is no reason for it. B. It is completely un-Halo-like since every game has enforced the no need of it, it's always been at the hip or taking the weapon up to shoulders for zooming, no need to go in between. And C. lot of the unique balance would be gone, no need for skill from a long range. Weapons like the Assault Rifle require a huge amount of skill to kill across the map, by having iron sights it takes away a lot of the skill only a handful .

Those are my opinions, point 2 about Invasion I wholeheartedly support, I'd love very much to see that game type return to the playlist for Matchmaking. Hope the reply makes good contribution to your thoughts~

• Like 4

Taking Cover - I'm not against it at all if it remains in first person the entire time. Red Orchestra 2 is a fine example of a cover-based first-person-shooter. It flows well and only adds to immersion. It looks fantastic and cinematic to boot! However I think some of the core mechanics of Halo would utterly trump 'taking cover.' Grenades, accuracy while on the move, and jumping shooting all mean that the best (and only) cover is from large objects which you can maneuver behind. Sticking to cover and movement are mutually exclusive. It would look cinematic as hell. Could be hella effective for KOTH or other objective play. Additionally if the hardlight shield was tweaked an ally could take cover behind you... making that AA pretty ridiculously awesome... especially in objective carrier situations.

I think you're really looking for more cinematic gameplay though. I think the ticket would be more physical map interaction. Objectives could be destroying a reactor, uploading an AI into a system, refueling or cycling 'mega' equipment. I don't think these actions should be as uninvolved as pressing a button or standing in a capture zone. It could be that a spartan physically plants and arms a bomb inside or near the reactor, a spartan has to carry the AI in heavy a shock-proof and bullet-proof container and replace it, or a spartan removing damaged or drained power cells and replacing them with new ones. In H4's campaign the Chief does a lot of stuff that visibly strains him. I don't want a button-mashing quick-time-event, but it could be interesting to stand back for a second or two and watch your spartan perform some feat of skill or strength that no normal human could do.

Strategy/Invasion - You're not the only one who frakking love Invasion. I still play it with my brother and friends from time to time. It has so much appeal! I love gametypes that move the fight or focus it in different parts of the map. It is probably the reason I enjoy objective games in general. I personally would like to see the return of the super-heavy vehicles: the scarab and the mammoth. I can definitely see some fun matches leading up to an assault on a scarab. I would have fun seeing the mammoth advance through a map acting as a mobile base for attacking spartans. Superheavies and Invasion are what I want to see in BTB.

ADSing - I disagree. What makes Halo stand out from most AAA shooters is the offensive mobility of the player. If ADS was implemented the gun in your hands would be the only factor to most engagements. Melee, vehicles, and grenades would have to be rebalanced against guns, and then even the maps would be rebalanced for the new ADS mechanic. ADS slows down gameplay and completely changes the landscape. If it were implemented I honestly don't think it would look or feel like Halo anymore. The Golden Tripod would be kaput!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright well I've been playing halo since combat evolved and started the multiplayer with its 3rd installment. I absolutely love the story and the multiplayer, but i personally think that halos online gaming experience can go much further, i'm going to be blunt and throw out some of my opinions that could give the community a better experience as a player that can control a spartan with a flick of the analog stick.

1. Take cover!

2. Strategic Game play

3. The famed aim down sights system.

1.  Would never work. Halo Multiplayer has 7 minute games, if everyone was allowed to take cover the game would last much longer as that would mean many player would not need skill in order to survive. As it stands right now, you need to be quick, precise, and have a good grasp of the map in order to survive. Add cover to that, and the game goes to hell. 

2. Invasion was fun, added a sense of objectivity to multiplayer. Made it so there was something to do. I think 343 tried to replace that game variant with Spartan Ops. While Spartan Ops was cool, it was the same as Invasion. Agreed.

3. No. No discussion required. This is not CoD, Battlefield, or Gears of War. It is Halo. 

I'm only going to disagree on number 3. Aiming. Down. Sights. What do you think the reticule is for? Grenades? Lol, just kiddin. But on a serious note, it would be pointless to do this, the reticule shows exactly where the bullet is going to go. Or, at least the general direction. It would be a sad mistake to make. 

• 2 weeks later...
hello, I'm a great fan of halo,this is my opinions:

- Have a real map editor (like Far Cry 3 in more 

sought). Possibility of placing AI, events (such as 

trains, cars that move on their own)

That would be cool a city with roads, building or a blank map where we could place the buildings and edit the building (make holes, doors, windows), trace its roads ,place the brokens cars, add land to extend the map,place the tunnel ,put the civils,the cars ,trains and aircrafts that move automatically

- Return of the Baptism of Fire

-Added defense mode of baptism of fire(or another mode of the same kind). by cons for dead players I think have an important role , every minute  they can send  marines , weapon or equipment see a power-up , or send the auto turrets , a barricade or something . 

Or rather they play against the other teams , it becomes like the gravedigger and can send parasites (including some that could temporarily controlling ) on the battlefield enemy, which would create big fights between human, covenant and parasite. Like that the team with more dead in a team ,increases more luck for the survival of this team,the dead player have the right to support their team, despite their small numbers.

-It would be nice if we can Put the emblems of Reach and Halo 4 ,put of tattoos, stickers on the spartan. 

Choose several races covenants(hunter,raptor,elite,grunt), several class humans (marines,spartan) same the Prometheans might be controlled.

Repeat and liked my message to the forum 343 industries if you are agree with me .

thanks