Space battles, the awesome new gametpye.

gollum385

Does the idea of space battles interest you.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Does the idea of space battles interest you.

• This would be awesome.
    • This would be pretty cool, awesome with a few tweaks(suggestions)
    • I wouldn't care either way.
    • This idea wouldn't be very good, but could be (suggestions)
    • this idea would be terrible.

Halo reach introduced an interesting campaign mission in space. However this was shortlived, and only for campaign.

However, star wars battlefront 2 (why havent they made a third) has proven that space battle works.

Therefore I would love halo to take on that perspective.

Vehicles include: Banshees, sabres and seraphs (all used within the space battles in reach).

Other vehicles should be the longsword (another fast single person vehicle for fighting). Like star wars battlefront, there will also be transport ships for some game modes, the pelican and phantom (hopefully these will be used in normal maps aswell). There could also be other vehicles, a hawk/hornet or flacon could also be used, aswell as a spirit drop ship, or some new vehicles.

There are 3 gametypes that I can think of, all of which provide a different experince.

The first is a standard dogfight. Each player will either a, spawn in a ship of their choosing/a fixed ship (could be humans vs covenant eg.), or from a bay in which there will spawn a variety of ships. It is then a slayer based game. A docking bay like a ship (think star wars battlefront) could be good as it means if all the ships are destroyed a player will have to wait for a new ship to spawn. Either many of each ship will appear or some ships will be limited, meaning different ships must be used.

The second gametpye is similar to star wars battlefront. There are 2 ships, and both teams have an objective. This could be to capture the flag (requires a transport ship?) plant a bomb, capture a territory or just get into the ship and destroy it. To do this both teams must fight through the space to get to the ship. Team members spawn on the ship, and can either stay on it, or enter a spaceship. There will also be guns people on the ship can use to attack the enemy sapceships. these could also be destroyed.

The third gametype is a one sided version of the above. One team must assault a ship and complete an objevtive. Both this and the above could also be done in stages, like a 1/2way invasion match.

People's opinions on space battles, improvements to the above or gametypes they would like to see would be appreciated.

I wasn't aware they ever tried to make it. I think if it had been it would have been quite small scale. If 343 were reading this they would definately have enough time to make a big deal of it, and like above create several gametypes from it. It could also be that these ships could be a forge object (limited of course). I know many invasion/ other gametypes friends have wanted to make with ships being docked on land or whatever.

Yea it was fun to just load it up and play. However the feeling of star wars battlefront 2, when you are fighting other players (and ai, not sure if that would also need/ be wanted in this playlist) is a completely unique feeling, something i haven't experienced in another game. The addition of 2 teams, both with objectives seems like something most people would enjoy to play.

This is more based on the star wars battlefront rather than a space gameplay, but star wars battlefront had an interesting standard gametype. Focusing less on the use of ai and more of how the gametype work, both team had a number of reinforcements. These reinforcements could only respawn at set locations, determined by who controlled the territory. both teams tried to capture these reinforcement points. If a team controlled all of them, the other team had until all of it's team were killed. Otherwise the game was over.

I think gametypes like this and many others are all possible in halo. One of the things halo has is a vast sandbox and custom options unrivalled in all the other big games out there. I would love to see a whole new host of gametypes in the new halo, and the custom options to allow for the creativity the halo community is renowned for.

Well we have to settle for the first two problems first. Lag and map size. A full fledged all out space battle would be epic but the xbl servers arent very strong so this would cause quite alot of lag. And secound the map size would have to be huge to have ships and stuff. Plus there would have to be alot of people which brings us back to the first problem but overall this idea is very epic and i was just thinking that like on battlefront you could have space ship battles outside or fly to the cruisers to have inside battles. But 343i will figure it out...

I made a post about this to add to Reach in like a Title Update maybe. It was based off of Starwars Battlefront 2 also. So obviously, I agree. We need Space Battles, Battlefront was so addicting and this would make Halo better than ever. But to answer your question about Battlefront 3, money issues. They've gone through many developers, and it is thought that Spark Industries is doing it now. But the last game they made (Legendary, you can download the demo) was said to be extremely bad. So we're not sure what to expect. Sadly, Pandemic made LOTR: Conquest. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game and I still love it, but I would rather have a Battlefront 3. Especially since my Battlefront 2 disc for PS2 is too scratched to play :(

I really hope there is a battlefront 3, your news about it being picked up by a new developer sounds awesome (please let it be good!)

I don't think the issues of lag and map size etc would be too much of a problem. Battlefront 2 did it back in the day on xbox live. However i do agree player count should be higher (have a thread on this subject).

So many people in favour of this, surely 343i must be able to understand things like this are what the fans want?!

Yea definately sabers and the space level in reach was the main reason that myself and many other people have thought of an idea like this.

But there is also the possibility of so many more vehicles. Pelicans, phantoms, spirits, long and shortswords, seraphs. Possibly even hawks or covered hornets. I'm sure other things could also be made too. This variety would make it a great series of games being possible. Maybe there could just be a space slayer game mode, with sabres vs banshees or whatever.

The other benefit of this is these vehicles could be used in normal maps aswell (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions). People have been craving for driveable pelicans for so long!