Terminal Velocity ß 1.0

CHa0s

ter.mi.nal ve.loc.i.ty
noun
Physics
noun: terminal velocity; plural noun: terminal velocities
1. the constant speed that a freely falling object eventually reaches when the resistance of the medium through which it is falling prevents further acceleration.

Terminal Velocity is my first "real" Halo 4 Forge map. Up to this point, I had only gone into Forge to create "Oldschool" maps, by placing weapons similar to Halo 3 for appropriate gametypes, and setting up a type of Neutral Bomb before the mods started coming out.

I have been hosting custom lobbies for Forgers for some time, and finally decided to design my own creation.  Squad Battle in Halo 3 was my all-time favorite playlist, and the inspiration for the size of my map. My lobbies, most recently carrying the title "Spartans' Playground", reflect the type of maps I personally enjoy experiencing: those maps that transport you to another world, a unique experience, whether it is visually or it surprises you with an unexpected element. I especially enjoy maps that allow free exploration and limited boundaries.

I tried to encompass these qualities in Terminal Velocity, which has minimal kill zones (Think, the sand dunes on SandTrap...), and a unique spawn system. Spartans were made for this...

Terminal Velocity is set up for competitive 6v6: Slayer, Dominion (not tested yet), CTF, Ricochet (not tested yet).

At this time there are no weapons spawns, as I am still studying map balance, which so far is unexpectedly fairly sound using default War Games Infinity.

Birds Eye View

straight-down-birds-eye.jpg

Red Base

red-base-tunnels.jpg

Blue Base

blue-base-tunnels-birds-eye.jpg

Blue Base Route to Man-Cannon

blue-base-route-to-man-cannon.jpg

Blue Man-Cannon to Top Mid

blue-man-cannon-to-top-mid.jpg

Top Mid Route to Red

top-route-to-red.jpg

Download Link

From a fellow forger, the best feedback I could give without playing the map is my first impression: there is a distinct need for more cover. It looks like the geometry of the map was built primarily to accommodate theme. I would also cut back a bit on so many vehicles, since they will overwhelm players on foot, who have nowhere to hide--there are 4 vehicles for a 6-man team. I would flip those braces on the mid routes for cover. That centerpiece looks wonderful, but where do the cannons send you? Best of luck in your forging, be sure to inv anytime for playtesting and further second thoughts.

From a fellow forger, the best feedback I could give without playing the map is my first impression: there is a distinct need for more cover. It looks like the geometry of the map was built primarily to accommodate theme. I would also cut back a bit on so many vehicles, since they will overwhelm players on foot, who have nowhere to hide--there are 4 vehicles for a 6-man team. I would flip those braces on the mid routes for cover. That centerpiece looks wonderful, but where do the cannons send you? Best of luck in your forging, be sure to inv anytime for playtesting and further second thoughts.

Thanks very much for your feedback. Yes, everyone says similar things at other Forge forums I've posted Terminal Velocity, but playtesting shows the cover is adequate so far, at least for slayer, and the vehicles haven't overpowered at all. The images are quite deceiving in this regard, which is why I'm encouraging people to get in there and take a look. My aesthetics are somewhat clunky, since I don't have a lot of experience, but so far the map performs well, which is very important to me since I am a competitive player.

The man-cannons take you from the back of each base across the map to the center platform on the opposite side. It doesn't provide too much forward movement for the flag, but enough to change up the gameplay, and you can force yourself over onto the center structure from the cannon as well, to throw off the enemy. There are also cannons that take you up into the attic of the spire-like center structure, and you can access the second floor via a grav lift at ground level.

As I've mentioned in other forums: TEST! TEST! TEST! :D I will definitely be making changes as things become more obvious through testing.

Two more notes of interest:

1. If you do download Terminal Velocity, pay close attention to the description, "Drop straight down into the War Zone or face death"...

2. My Dominion setup is broken, I am in the process of fixing it. I'm following all the directions from Certain Affinity's video, but still can't get certain aspects to work right :/ will update when I get it figured out.