The Case for the Xbox One

MCPO Mayh3m

As many already know, the Xbox One comes bundles with an all new Kinect Sensor. Many people don't like the fact that you can not buy them separately, especially with the steep price tag of $499.

Lets run some numbers:

• PS4 Price: $399
  • PS4 Camera $59.99
  • Grand total(rough estimate): $460

This price is not too far off from the Xbox One, but think about it for a moment.

• Xbox One WITH Kinect Sensor: $499

$30 difference, BUT Kinect can do more than the PS4 Camera can. It can be used for multiple things.

Before Xbox One, we had the Xbox 360 priced at launch for the strongest Bundle:

• Xbox 360 20gb Premium: $399 ($400)

The Kinect Sensor came years later at a price of:

• Kinect Sensor Upon Release(solo): $149.99

Lets add those two together real quick:

• Xbox 360 Premium: $400
  • Kinect Sensor(At Release/Solo): $150
  • Grand Total Of: $550

Do you see that? Seriously? You are complaining about the pricetag on the Xbox One being too high, when in reality.. it is potentially $50 less than what you paid for your Xbox 360(or multiple 360's) + Kinect!

So to review:

1. PS4 pricetag WITH a (limited) camera: $460
  2. Xbox One (Including the multi function Kinect Sensor): $500
  3. Xbox 360 Premium + Kinect(R/S): $550

For $40 more, you get a more advanced camera that has features that exceed the PS4 camera. The price tag may sound like a lot initially, but will potentially cost you less than when you bought your Xbox 360 & Kinect.

• Like 7

Lol I was just thinking about this the other day... but people can still bring up the fact that they don't want a kinect to begin with.... but not me. I think, especially with the skype on xbox thing it is a great addition for me personally.

Thanks for putting this into perspective for others to see because it really isn't that big of a difference from the PS4 and is a better deal than the Xbox 360.. People need to see this to get a good perspective of the prices. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I can see your reasoning Mayh3m but you are failing to see the POV from the consumers that have absolutely no desire whatsoever of owning a Kinect. All of your reasoning includes Kinect or the PS4 camera (which I also have no desire to own).

As many already know, the Xbox One comes bundles with an all new Kinect Sensor. Many people don't like the fact that you can not buy them separately, especially with the steep price tag of $499.

Lets run some numbers:

• PS4 Camera $59.99

This price is not too far off from the Xbox One, but think about it for a moment.

$30 difference, BUT Kinect can do more than the PS4 Camera can. It can be used for multiple things.

Do you see that? Seriously? You are complaining about the pricetag on the Xbox One being too high, when in reality.. it is potentially $50 less than what you paid for your Xbox 360(or multiple 360's) + Kinect!

For $40 more, you get a more advanced camera that has features that exceed the PS4 camera. The price tag may sound like a lot initially, but will potentially cost you less than when you bought your Xbox 360 & Kinect.

In my opinion, I don't care if the Kinect can bathe and change my kids or auto-wipe after dropping a deuce! Bottom line, like many consumers.... I DO NOT WANT THE KINECT!!! DO NOT FORCE A PRODUCT ON ME THAT I DO NOT WANT!!! <<< This is what bugs me the most about it and directly conveys my opinion! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I can see your reasoning Mayh3m but you are failing to see the POV from the consumers that have absolutely no desire whatsoever of owning a Kinect. All of your reasoning includes Kinect or the PS4 camera (which I also have no desire to own).

In my opinion, I don't care if the Kinect can bathe and change my kids or auto-wipe after dropping a deuce! Bottom line, like many consumers.... I DO NOT WANT THE KINECT!!! DO NOT FORCE A PRODUCT ON ME THAT I DO NOT WANT!!! <<< This is what bugs me the most about it and directly conveys my opinion! :thumbsup:

They also give you the option to not use it. You have it, but you don't have to use it. ;)

• Like 1

lol That's what I said in my comment. People will complain about not wanting it to begin with, which is completely 100% understandable because if someone doesn't want it don't force it on them. I don't mind having it personally, but let me bring up a scenario.

I walk into target or walmart to buy some shampoo get to the register and get out the exact change and the male/female at the counter says

"oh, it's going to be 50 more dollars than that...."

and I say "but it says 'x' dollar amount"

and she says back "yes but you have to buy a $50 gift card too...."

That will never happen

lol I'm sure you get what I mean by that. It's just forced additional money.

...so why MAKE me purchase it?? I could easily spend the extra $100 on ~ 1 2/3 games, lol! ;)

Kinect is not just a device that makes the console run better, it also is a control for games as well. So you may not like it that much, but your kids may enjoy using it to play the kinds of games they like. (Using 'You' and 'your kids' loosely.. no just aimed at you).

Kinect enhances your Xbox One, so they included it with the console so you get the full experience it can provide.

PS4 makes you buy the camera separate if you want the full experience that the PS4 can give you.

It is fairly convenient to. When you buy your PS4 and get it home and are wondering why certain features are not what you expected, then realize you need the camera... that is a bit of an inconvenience in my opinion. (For the record, it is used for motion sensing, social networking: 

"Social interactions are more personal with photo/video sharing." -Gamestop Product Description

You get the Xbox One home, and it is all there.

Kinect is not just a device that makes the console run better, it also is a control for games as well. So you may not like it that much, but your kids may enjoy using it to play the kinds of games they like. (Using 'You' and 'your kids' loosely.. no just aimed at you).

Kinect enhances your Xbox One, so they included it with the console so you get the full experience it can provide.

PS4 makes you buy the camera separate if you want the full experience that the PS4 can give you.

It is fairly convenient to. When you buy your PS4 and get it home and are wondering why certain features are not what you expected, then realize you need the camera... that is a bit of an inconvenience in my opinion. (For the record, it is used for motion sensing, social networking: 

"Social interactions are more personal with photo/video sharing." -Gamestop Product Description

You get the Xbox One home, and it is all there.

I still think it it a bad business decision. I still want the Xbox One but I could honestly care less about the Kinect. I don't even have space for it in my crowded gaming setup. I can see where Microsoft is going with this I just don't like that I don't get a choice in the matter. I could easily spend those $100 on Xbox One games and arcade games.

Lets run some numbers:

• PS4 Camera $59.99

Before Xbox One, we had the Xbox 360 priced at launch for the strongest Bundle:

• Xbox 360 20gb Premium: $399 ($400)

The Kinect Sensor came years later at a price of:

• Kinect Sensor Upon Release(solo): $149.99

Lets add those two together real quick:

• Xbox 360 Premium: $400
  • Kinect Sensor(At Release/Solo): $150
  • Grand Total Of: $550

So to review:

1. PS4 pricetag WITH a (limited) camera: $460
  2. Xbox One (Including the multi function Kinect Sensor): $500
  3. Xbox 360 Premium + Kinect(R/S): $550

but lets count this

It is 10 pounds or dollars less for PlayStation plus if you like online

but there is a bundle for the PlayStation 4 that' has 2 controllers and a game for 500 dollars

As well no everyone wants the ps4 camera to boot  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Correct. Between the money I spent on the Xbox 360 Pro, a separate 60 gig Harddrive once the 20 gig one was full, extra controllers, parts and kits I ordered online to fix the Xbox once it Red-ringed, and a HDMI cable (Which was not included with the console) I ended up paying way more than the Xbox One is WITH a Kinect, 500 Gig hardrive, premium controller, a HDMI cable, and a bunch of other stuff.

• Like 1

...so why MAKE me purchase it?? I could easily spend the extra $100 on ~ 1 2/3 games, lol! ;)

While I don't disagree with you on the whole, Choot, I do have something that I wish to add to this discussion about what the consumer wants.

Whether we as consumers want this product or not does not matter at this point.  It is a part of the console, it functions with the console, and that is the end of the debate.  You may wish to purchase the PS4 because of this, because MS is trying to "force this upon you" but the fact remains it is now simply a part of the XBox experience, and if you really want to stick with the XBox then you are getting the Kinect, period.

The way I look at this it is no more than most other companies attempt to do.  If I purchased a Dell, do I get just a computer with the essential tools I need, or do I get a ton of bloatware included with the computer?  I get the latter, whether I want it or not.  They are essentially forcing it upon me.  Granted, I can then go and remove all of this stuff, but the point remains the same.  Same goes with any other major PC retailer (not including something like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc).

I don't want a 3D TV, yet if I were to go out and purchase a new TV today, chances are most of the TV's available for sale are 3D capable, whether I want the feature or not, and shortly into the future it won't be "most", it will be all.

With any new generation of hardware (gaming or otherwise) new features will be added that we as consumers will not always want.  Yet in the end, most people will accept the fact that they are included and will purchase the product anyway.  Maybe not immediately, but if it is something we really want, then we will break down and get it.  The next time I do have to purchase a new TV, I'm already aware that it will be 3D capable, even though I don't want the feature.  It is there, it is included, and that is the bottom line, there is nothing I can do about it.  

The XBox hardware has evolved, and now it includes a feature that most true gamers don't want.  It is a sad part of life, but in the end there is nothing we can really do about it.  Do I agree with MS's decision to include the Kinect?  No.  Do I want it?  Not really, even though I already own the Kinect for the 360, it rarely ever gets used and was a wasted purchase.  They are not "making" anyone purchase the Kinect.  As far as they are concerned it is just another piece of the XBox One, and not a separate entity like it currently is.  The problem with this line of thinking though, is the Kinect as everyone currently knows it was a stand alone item, and that is the mindset that people need to move away from, and this is where all of the negativity is coming from.  It is not a stand alone item anymore, but an integrated part of the hardware.  Total's logic here is fairly sound.  Purchasing a console for $500 is better, in my mind, then them saying "Here, purchase this new console for $400, but you can't use it unless you purchase this other product for an additional $150."

When the original Kinect was first shown, I knew at that time that this was going to be a part of the next generation of consoles.  How could it not be?  With the way MS is, they tend to not develop something only to have it be an "optional" item the next time around.  I know I can't be the only person who realized this back in 2009.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...